View Diary: The Cutest Sh*t Ever From Fundies (Woops - Turned Out to Have Been a Joke) (61 comments)

•  The religion that comes closest to reality (1+ / 0-)
    zenbassoon

is Buddhism.  But even that is barnacle-encrusted with all sorts of complete bullshit and really poor word-translation choices in English language editions of its works.

In Roviet Union, money spends YOU.

by Troubadour on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 09:42:50 PM PST

•  Well, people try to sell Buddhism to Americans as (4+ / 0-)

philosophy, or worse, particle physics.

Whereas, two things, 1) Philosophies don't have deities, monks, nuns, rituals, chanting, genuflecting, initiations, etc. etc. etc.  Religions do.

And, 2) It is acceptable, in Buddhist theory and practice, to lie to people to bring them to enlightenment.  That is what "skillful means" means.

The classic tale is a father trying to get his family to leave a burning house, but they wouldn't believe it was on fire, so he tells them each there was something they dearly wanted outside.  This is ok, because he was doing them a favor by getting them out of a burning building.

So if you're going to study Buddhism, at least study decent translations of the old stuff -- at least if those were deliberate lies, they're deliberate lies with historical significance and influence and literary merit, not just whatever some modern day proselytizer is using on Americans.

© cai Visit 350.org to join the fight against global warming.

by cai on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 09:51:35 PM PST

•  I still give Buddhism credit (4+ / 0-)
        cai, Alexandra Lynch, FG, zenbassoon

for coming up with the concept of causality freaking millennia before the advent of modern science, and vegetarianism back when my European ancestors still thought the highest expression of virtue was to slaughter one's enemies and rape their women.

In Roviet Union, money spends YOU.

by Troubadour on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 09:55:02 PM PST

•  thanks (2+ / 0-)
        zenbassoon, cai

Thanks to your post, I did a brief search on the internet which led to accounts of all kinda violence and sexual indiscretion. Of course, it's the internet and provenance of the information is unknown.  More uncertainty.  Or more evidence that religious leaders are just mortal humans.

That warm feeling I had from reading various Zen texts in translation long ago, not to mention actually meditating for a time, is all gone now.

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."  New meanings all around.

•  Why, exactly can't philosophies have monks, nuns, (1+ / 0-)
        zenbassoon

rituals, chanting, etc.?   What I like about (true) Buddhism is that you can be an agnostic or atheist and still acknowledge , but more importantly, experience and celebrate the sacredness of life.  And if that combination is too logically inconsistent for you, well, poor you.

All I know is that Buddhists have been the few people I've met in 66 yrs of life about whom I've quoted to myself the great line from "When Harry Met Sally":  "I'll have what she's having."

•  What I actually practice on a daily basis (3+ / 0-)
      Troubadour, Zaq, zenbassoon

has a lot of contemplative mind stuff from several religions, some reverence of spirits of place in the style of Shinto, some ancestor veneration, a deep drive to do what I'm supposed to be doing to make a change in the world, and an overall drive to put myself in harmony with the flow and obey my Goddess, wrapped up in mostly Native American terms, since I live with a Red Road practitioner and on Turtle Island. (wry grin)

Syncretism  R Us.

When you come to find how essential the comfort of a well-kept home is to the bodily strength and good conditions, to a sound mind and spirit, and useful days, you will reverence the good housekeeper as I do above artist or poet, beauty or genius.

by Alexandra Lynch on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 10:15:28 PM PST

•  Isn't it simpler just to take mushrooms? (2+ / 0-)
        Zaq, zenbassoon

In Roviet Union, money spends YOU.

by Troubadour on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 10:21:26 PM PST

•  With what I do you are in control of the (2+ / 0-)
          Troubadour, zenbassoon

mystical experience and don't go so far into it that you can't function.

Usually.