Skip to main content

View Diary: The Unbearable State of Judging: A DKE Guide to the "partisan" balance of the Courts (Part 5) (27 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Basically no. Unless the issue implicates a (2+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    HoosierD42, MichaelNY

    "federal question" (meaning, there's some issue of federal statutory or constitutional law), there is no higher authority.  To the extent that your issue is a matter of say, Virginia law, you're stuck with whatever decision the Virginia Supreme Court makes.  If there IS a federal question (say, there's a colorable argument that the state has denied you due process in violation of the US Constitution), then you can try and appeal to the United States Supreme Court, but of course that's a long shot.  

    Except in criminal cases (and even then, only under VERY SPECIFIC circumstances) can you attempt to get a state court's judgement overturned by a lower federal court.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site