View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Weekly Open Thread: What races are you interested in? (373 comments)

•  I prefer Star Trek to Star Wars. (2+ / 0-)
    James Allen, MichaelNY
    •  I'm watching DS9 right now (3+ / 0-)
      Audrid, LordMike, Silvan Elf

my girlfriend likes to watch it to fall asleep to.

by James Allen on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 07:27:51 PM PST

•  DS9 is fantastic (4+ / 0-)
        Audrid, LordMike, Silvan Elf, ehstronghold

Easily the best series.

Keeper of the DKE glossary. Priceless: worth a lot; not for sale.

by SaoMagnifico on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 08:13:50 PM PST

•  Ds9 (3+ / 0-)
          Audrid, LordMike, Silvan Elf

Def the best, but I wouldn't say easily.  TNG is pretty amazing in its own right.

31/D/M/NY-01/SSP: Tekzilla

by Socks The Cat on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 08:16:45 PM PST

•  TNG has Patrick Stewart. (1+ / 0-)
            LordMike

You can't go wrong with Patrick Stewart.

Ordinarily, I'd say something about Wil Wheaton, but...

•  TNG was pretty poor, IMO... (1+ / 0-)
            KingofSpades

Although the show got significantly better after they kicked Roddenberry out.  TNG was simply way too uptight and stuffy and the uniforms were awful.  What is it about the future that makes people stop wearing shirts and pants?  Can you imagine wearing one of those ridiculous unitards?  The special effects were certainly revolutionary for the day, but the computer generated effects were pretty wanting even by 1980's standards.  It was too early to try the CGI stuff.  A lot of the show ended up looking like the PC game of Wing Commander. I didn't like the design of the "new" Enterprise, either.  I guess I'm pretty old school, having grown up with the TOS.  Patrick Stewart was really the key to holding that series together, which he did admirably.  Without him, the show would have died out as quickly as Star Trek Phase 2 did in the 70's.

DS9 was definitely the best of the "new" Trek by far, probably because it broke all the Roddenberry "goody two shoes" rules.  Garik was my favorite character.  He reminds me of Romney, only more honest and with more class.

GODSPEED TO THE WISCONSIN FOURTEEN!

by LordMike on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 09:13:37 PM PST

•  At least they ditched the Spandex... (2+ / 0-)
              LordMike, KingofSpades

Before too long. Though the late-period DS9 uniforms were way better than anything anyone ever wore on TNG.

Keeper of the DKE glossary. Priceless: worth a lot; not for sale.

by SaoMagnifico on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 09:34:33 PM PST

•  I enjoyed the later TNG (1+ / 0-)
              LordMike

after it hit its stride.  The episode "I, Borg" was good.  As was the "Best of Both Worlds" two-parter.  "Q-Pid" was fun.  I enjoyed the "Redemption" two-parter and the two-parter with Ambassador Spock (done in memorial of Gene Roddenberry).

As for TOS, I liked that too.  "The Way to Eden"'s space hippies stick out in my memory.  "Spock's Brain" was memoriable too.

Age 23. Voting in NJ-03. Lived most of life in NJ-01. Had Rush Holt represent me during my undergrad years and am now represented by Frank Pallone in my grad school.

by KingofSpades on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 10:47:20 PM PST

•  Funny, you picked what is considered to be... (2+ / 0-)
                Audrid, KingofSpades

...the two worst TOS episodes ever, both in the cash starved third season.  Although, I never understood why people hated Spock's Brian so much.  I've read that Nimoy almost quit over that episode, 'cos he thought it was so bad.   It's one of my favorites.  Apparently, we are not alone, since it always showed up in the fan selected Star Trek marathons that a local TV station would put up every year during my youth--10 of the most popular episodes picked by local fans who sent in a postcard.

GODSPEED TO THE WISCONSIN FOURTEEN!

by LordMike on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 06:01:40 AM PST

•  it's my favorite and I love Garak, too. (6+ / 0-)

However, TNG had its place.  It was supposed to be more like the original, and they explored social and political ideas like the original, which DS9 didn't really do as much of (aside from the Bajorans).  While DS9 had great episodes like "In the Pale Moonlight" that were breaking the rules, TNG had great episodes like "Birthright" that were more traditional for Trek.

by James Allen on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 06:42:30 AM PST

•  TNG probably did produce... (2+ / 0-)
                James Allen, KingofSpades

The very best standalone episodes. The likes of "Tapestry", "The Inner Light", and "Darmok" spring immediately to mind.

Keeper of the DKE glossary. Priceless: worth a lot; not for sale.

by SaoMagnifico on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 12:02:00 PM PST

•  another related weakness, though (4+ / 0-)

nearly all episodes really were standalone.  They'd warp into a star system where there was a problem and solve it within 44 minutes, usually by doing something weird with their deflector or ejecting the warp core (copied in everything since, even the last movie which was supposed to be a new kind of trek), then warp out and on to the next episode.

DS9 is the only one which really had an arc throughout most of the series, which is another reason I enjoyed it more.

/nerdingout

by James Allen on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 12:15:09 PM PST

•  I liked "Darmok" too. (1+ / 0-)
                  Audrid

I also liked Picard's policy and ethics.  Like when they encountered the Crystalline Entity (a massive being that consumes life by the planet-load by converting organic matter into energy), Picard said when they nearly encountered it on the Enterprise: "So long as we are in no immediate danger, I believe the Crystalline Entity has as much right to be here as we do.  I don't deny it may be necessary to fire upon it, but I view that as a last resort."
                  Another example is when they had an issue with a rogue Starfleet captain who was attacking Cardassian satellites because he thought they contained long-range weapons, risking all-out war with the Cardassian Empire.  Picard got him under control and managed to settle the issue with the Cardassians, but upon learning that they were harboring illegal weapons on one of the destroyed freighters, he gave the Cardassian commander a firm and subtle warning, saying: "Just remember, Commander, we are watching."

I also loved how in "I, Borg" that Picard and Guinan made their peace with what the Borg did to them in the past (thus making his irrational hatred against the Borg in "Star Trek: First Contact" out of character).  And he had the opportunity to destroy the collective once and for all, but didn't do so, because he knew better than to commit genocide against a race.

by KingofSpades on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 12:42:56 PM PST

•  It's certainly better than Voyager. (0+ / 0-)
        •  DS9 (1+ / 0-)
          Audrid

had the best battles of the entire Star Trek series by far. Nothing better than seeing two Galaxy class starships curbstomp a Galor at the Battle of Bajor.

It's a shame that the team blew most of their special effects budget on the Battle of Bajor and had to resort to recycling shots for the battle at the series finale.

Also the writers didn't care to mention the USS Enterprise at all. We had to see Star Trek Insurrection and that episode of Voyager when Troi helped Barkley figure out what happened to his hologram program to figure out what the Enterprise was doing during the war.

The Republican party is now an extreme right-wing party that is owned by their billionaire campaign contributors. - Bernie Sanders

by ehstronghold on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 01:21:34 PM PST

•  Me too (1+ / 0-)
      DCCyclone

But Star Wars had incredible special effects for its time.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project