View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 1/10 (305 comments)

•  time off (2+ / 0-)
    MichaelNY, SLDemocrat

Three months is too much to take off. Kids just forget a lot of stuff over the summer. Instead of a big block in the summer, they should space three-week breaks throughout the year.

SSP poster. 43, new CA-6, -0.25/-3.90

by sacman701 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 11:20:42 AM PST

•  Sort of what I was thinking (1+ / 0-)
      DCCyclone

Where is it 3 months, though? In New York, it was always from July 1 to the day after Labor Day, ergo just a shade over 2 months.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 11:34:19 AM PST

•  In Oregon it's from about a week into June until (2+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY, BeloitDem

the first week of September.

by James Allen on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 11:40:28 AM PST

•  It was 3 months when I was a kid, but... (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

...now that I have a daughter in elementary school, I've learned in Fairfax County these days it's about 2-and-one-half months, basically mid-June through Labor Day without school.

When I was a kid in Iowa in the 70s and 80s, school ended before Memorial Day, but started in late August, and it was a full three months.

I have no idea if these differences reflect national trends in my younger adulthood, or just local quirks.

44, male, Indian-American, married and proud father of a girl and 2 boys, Democrat, VA-10

by DCCyclone on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 01:20:09 PM PST

•  In NY (1+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY

It was always mid/late June ending and then starting the Wednesday after Labor Day.

I'm shocked other places had more time off.  3 consecutive months in summer is too much.

"What if you're on a game show one day and the name of some random New Jersey state senator is the only thing between you and several thousand dollars? And you'll think to yourself, "if only I had clapped faster." - sapelcovits

by rdw72777 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 01:27:33 PM PST

•  Public school in New York City (0+ / 0-)

always ended on June 30 (unless that was a weekend). I remember that from high school. We had nothing at all to do on that day, but we were required to attend, anyway. Only when I was in private school did I get out in mid June.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 01:48:27 PM PST

•  You didn't have field day (1+ / 0-)
              MichaelNY

We had a day of literally all outdoor activities called "Field Day" like it was the Olympics.  Quite a fun day of "school" even if I was the most out of shape unathletic kid out there.

by rdw72777 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 01:53:26 PM PST

•  I had that in private school (1+ / 0-)
                Audrid

I don't remember whether I had that in public elementary school because my last year of public elementary school was 2nd grade. We did get taken to the sprinklers in the park often in June when it was really hot. I didn't go back to public school until high school, unless you include two years in Malaysia, where we did have field day every semester. In high school, we definitely had no field day because High School of Performing Arts had no gym and no phys ed classes.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 02:17:30 PM PST

•  We had that in elementary school too (1+ / 0-)
                MichaelNY

Both in South Carolina and Indiana.

24, Practical Progressive Democrat (-4.75, -4.51), DKE Gay Caucus Majority Leader, IN-02; Swingnut. Defeat Wacky Jackie for 2014!

by HoosierD42 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 09:11:58 AM PST

•  It could be ag-related (0+ / 0-)

Iowa is the ultimate farm state, and while I'm just guessing, it wouldn't surprise me if farmers' labor needs dictated the school year generations back when much more of the population was tied to farms.  And then it just stuck.

I don't think it was "too much" of a break.  Iowa schoolchildren have always done as well academically as any.  So nothing was lost.

by DCCyclone on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 05:30:50 PM PST