View Diary: ACTION DIARY: Steubenville Rape Scandal (32 comments)

•  I thought I saw it was being investigated at (1+ / 0-)
    Liberal Granny

the state level, is that not the case?

If it is the case, is it insufficient?

© cai Visit 350.org to join the fight against global warming.

by cai on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 03:27:13 PM PST

•  this petition was created on (2+ / 0-)
      cai, Avilyn

Dec 25.  the petition specifically is requesting action from higher courts.  From what I understand, it is still at the local level (as stated in the petition) - which I believe is that the county is presenting the case, not the higher state court.

All the suffering of this world arises from a wrong attitude.The world is neither good or bad. It is only the relation to our ego that makes it seem the one or the other - Lama Anagorika Govinda

by kishik on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 03:32:47 PM PST

•  Some clarification (8+ / 0-)

First of all, courts don't present cases, prosecutors do. The cases are presented to the trial courts.

Second, it's handled at the county level because that's how the whole court system is set up.  Ohio has 88 counties, each of which has a court of common pleas where criminal matters are handled.  Even though they're at the county level, these are "state courts."  That term is used to make a contrast with federal courts.  (I'm leaving out things like mayors' courts because that sort of fine tuning is irrelevant here.)

Third, and following from the second, there's no "higher" court to go to unless the defendants are convicted and they appeal.  Those higher courts would be the district courts of appeals, of which there are, I believe, about 12.  From there, an appeal would be made to the Supreme Court of Ohio.

Note that neither the district courts of appeals nor the Supreme Court are trial courts.  They don't have juries or hear witness testimony.

I hope this clarification is useful.

•  well thanks for the clarification! (1+ / 0-)
          Roxine

i still believe the petition is meant as a concern regarding how the case is handled at the local (state) level considering the association of those investigating the case to the team and other school members involved.

I always appreciate such a good dressing down!  Thanks and have a great day!

by kishik on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 05:44:07 PM PST

•  From what I understand - before the State (13+ / 0-)

AG's office got involved, the kidnapping charges had already been dropped and the two men were released from jail and placed on house arrest.  It was also decided they would be charged as juveniles.

Considering the brutality of the alleged case (taking a seemingly unconscious girl from house to house and repeatedly engaging in sexual acts with her) many feel that these two (and others) should be tried as adults.

Initial reports seem to indicate that this young girl broke up with one of the football players and was actually lured to these parties to be humiliated for breaking up with him.  Of course this is all preliminary, but if this was premeditated, then I think these young men should be tried as adults.  Of course, this is just my opinion.

"...I am the master of my fate/I am the captain of my soul" Invictus - William Ernest Henley Please donate to TREE Climbers, our 501(c)(3).

by Roxine on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 03:35:05 PM PST

•  Thank you for the clarification. (5+ / 0-)

I agree they should be charged as adults, and charged with kidnapping.

© cai Visit 350.org to join the fight against global warming.

by cai on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 03:46:03 PM PST

•  if there's sufficient DNA evidence (1+ / 0-)
          Avilyn

and later news reports suggest that is true, I'd be for hanging them as adults upon conviction, too.

Not so much because it might have an influence on their peers or those who worship them as heroes, but to make sure these jerks never had the chance to mistreat another woman as they did this girl.

Never.

by BlackSheep1 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 06:03:13 PM PST

•  Disturbing streak of violence... (1+ / 0-)
            VetGrl

...in DKos members as this comment demonstrates.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian
            Leadership doesn't mean taking a straw poll and then just throwing up your hands. -Jyrinx

by Sparhawk on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 09:13:28 PM PST

•  as if what was done to that girl didn't show (1+ / 0-)
              Silvia Nightshade

an even more disturbing streak of violence?

Oh, that's right.

You've used words like "Sport" and "ball game" describing rape.

by BlackSheep1 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 09:57:37 PM PST

•  It was a metaphor... (1+ / 0-)
                nextstep

...that got 4 recs, actually. Everyone knew what I was talking about, the context is clear.

What I am more interested in understanding is your seeming obsession with the death penalty for a non-murder (hell, the girl involved didn't even know what had happened until she read about it on Facebook later). I don't know about you, but "violence" is usually something you know about afterwards without needing to read about it in the paper.

Now, seeing as you like to take things out of context, this is not a defense of the alleged perpetrators of this crime. However, you seem to want to elevate this to be on a level with that Indian event that's also in the news. The two events are very different. In one case, the victim is dead and even if she wasn't, would have suffered serious probably incapacitating physical harm. I oppose the death penalty all the time, but it seems to me that that might be something you consider hanging someone for. In this case, the victim is alive and appears otherwise 'unharmed'. A very, very serious matter still I would agree, but not something any reasonable person would consider death for. (I don't think reasonable people consider the death penalty for any reason, but I digress).

I want the alleged perpetrators of this crime to be put on trial and convicted/punished severely if the evidence warrants it. But let's not go overboard here.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian

by Sparhawk on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 10:50:50 PM PST

•  I am not fixing to go into a discussion with you (2+ / 0-)
                  Avilyn, Silvia Nightshade

on the benefits of surviving a rape versus dying from one.
                  I'm just not.

If you do believe that what happened to the girl in this case left her otherwise 'unharmed' ... I hope you have no female relatives or friends  to risk to a rapist. That is all.

by BlackSheep1 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 11:00:43 PM PST

•  That's why I put it in quotes obviously (0+ / 0-)
                    The alleged acts here are serious crimes. I would not wish them on anyone that I know or don't know.

Assuming the process goes forward and they are fairly convicted, serious consequences should result.

However, the victim is alive and had no idea that the assault even had occurred until much later. The death penalty is obviously inapplicable in this case, which was my only point.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian

by Sparhawk on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 11:17:04 PM PST

•  So because (1+ / 0-)
                  Tonedevil

she was likely drugged and totally incapacitated (so they didn't have to beat her into submission) and raped, it's not as big of a deal?

What the fuck is wrong with you?

•  Did you miss this part? (0+ / 0-)
                    A very, very serious matter still I would agree
                    The conversation is about the applicability of the death penalty here, not whatever it is you think it's about.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian

by Sparhawk on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 10:13:24 AM PST

•  Investigation is being conducted by Ohio's AG (1+ / 0-)
      Avilyn

GOP former senator Mike DeWine.

The trial of the 2 perps is scheduled for next month, IIRC. These types of crimes are usually handled in county or state courts.

IANAL, but to get the case heard in federal court, the feds would have to bring charges relating to civil rights violations or something.

The best thing to do is find out as much as you can about what evidence the prosecutor has and how diligently he will pursue the case.

There's always the possibility of getting a change of venue, having it tried in another county in Ohio.

Democratic Leaders must be very clear they stand with the working class of our country. Democrats must hold the line in demanding that deficit reduction is done fairly -- not on the backs of the elderly, the sick, children and the poor.

by Betty Pinson on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 04:46:14 PM PST

•  These fools transported her across a state line-- (1+ / 0-)
        Avilyn

which could have brought the FBI and the Justice Department into this affair. I have the feeling that's why someone dropped the kidnapping charges--so they could keep this at a local level.

Perhaps the Justice Department should step in, reinstate the kidnaping charges, and take this affair out of local hands. There are numerous allegations that law enforcement in Steubenville is corrupt. Perhaps the only way to see justice done in this case is to take it out of local hands, have the FBI do a full and thorough investigation of all aspects of this tragedy, and then presenting their finding to the Justice Department for prosecution.