View Diary: My only Meta diary, ever (285 comments)

•  Well, this site isn't anything like it used to be. (9+ / 0-)

And I really miss a lot of what has been lost.  But I'm not leaving.

There used to be a lot more depth to the threads.  And that was important.  Incredibly so.  Now, you might have excellently written diaries, but the comment threads are frequently just some version of "You rock!"  or sometimes, "You suck!"  (And I'm not talking about the Obama wars.  Who gives a shit about either side of that, at this point.)

The writing is still there, but the participation in the diaries is - lesser.

And, really?  Whatever.  It's a good place to hang out for political stuff.  I'm ambivalent.

What I do know is that I'll still be here after Obama is done with his next term.  Then let's see how things shake out.

Can you call yourself a real liberal if you aren't reading driftglass?

by CJB on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 09:17:12 PM PST

•  The world has changed, too (8+ / 0-)

A lot.  When I joined, Katrina was big news.  We were making up words to Christmas carols to the theme of "Fitzmas."  There was a lot of oppo research on Tom Delay and Abramoff-related stuff.  Users that came in the last few years, many of them have never given that culture of corruption a second thought.  The triumph of winning the House back in 2006 has faded into memory, and there's been many setbacks and disappointments in the meantime.

What do we make of the contrast between heroic teachers who stand up to a gunman and craven, feckless politicians who won’t stand up to the N.R.A.? -- Nicholas Kristof, NYT --

by Land of Enchantment on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 09:31:17 PM PST

•  Yeah. I see what you're saying, (3+ / 0-)

and it makes me think - when this place first started everyone was so amazed to have found one another. In my memory, the majority of the diary threads had the feel that the community diary series have now, you know?  Not that people didn't argue, certainly, but these were days back when Keith Olbermann made his very first Special Comment calling out Bush and we all collectively gasped at and then cheered his audacity.  I remember waking up in the morning and actually smiling because I could come here and not feel completely beaten down and hopeless.

Despite the Clarke/Dean factions, there was a lot more cohesion back then.  Equal parts frustration over Bush and elation at having found a viable Liberal pulse-point.

Huh.  Some great memories back there.  The 2006 win was amazing.

And so, we travel on, LoE.

Can you call yourself a real liberal if you aren't reading driftglass?

by CJB on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 07:25:36 AM PST

•  Agreed (8+ / 0-)

Comment threads used to be where the real discussion happened. Now it's where the real vitriol happens.

This sort of turnover happens here every so often. The main difference this time is it seems that those leaving feel that the FPers are stacked against them as well as those who simply disagree on tactics.

Another difference is that we won two consecutive presidential elections for the first time in a long time, after enduring two of the worst terms ever. So everybody is secretly terrified that we can't do it again, and they think we have to repair as much of the Bush damage as possible right now. And there are differing opinions on how to do that.

•  I'm not actually terrified we 'can't do it again' (1+ / 0-)
        SilentBrook

but I certainly agree that any time you have a chance to get something good done in politics it should be done 'right now', because you never know what will come along.  On the other hand if, after all the wrangling, what you get as a 'compromise' has more cons than pros, I think the better long term strategy is to abandon it and try again later.  Where that hits 'differing opinions' is in the judgments of the balance between pros and cons of any given deal.

I'd actually also like to see lots of 'small deals' that could potentially be run through quickly, than any 'grand bargains'.  Small, focused deals let you keep out extraneous pork spending that always lards up grand bargains and omnibuses, and lets you focus on convincing Republicans that whatever it is you want actually benefits them.  Chances are, it will benefit enough of them, but every time you add on something else, fewer and fewer of them will be willing to agree to all of the additions.

•  I don't know what to make (1+ / 0-)
        SilentBrook

of the whole FPers vs The Proles thing.  It seems to be a perceived lack of moderation?  I'm not really sure why they'd want to wake the giant since, by observation, Markos' efforts at moderation have been mercurial, at best.

I've also seen people take issue with the content of the front page.  I don't pay much attention to it because much of it is just recycled from the sidebar anyway.

As for "everybody" being secretly anything, I can't really ascribe to that.  I do think a bit more pragmatism would go along way to calming the place down, but I do love our idealists. :- )

Can you call yourself a real liberal if you aren't reading driftglass?

by CJB on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 07:43:12 AM PST

•  I understand what you are saying (5+ / 0-)

Participation in Diary threads is a varying thing.

In the meta Diaries folk do seem to let it all hang out, and they grind their axes to a very keen edge.

For what it's worth, I have found that participation in the comment threads of my Diaries has steadily increased over the years, and the tone has usually remained civil and helpful.

It seems to be a mixed bag.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
      but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 05:23:01 AM PST

•  Yes, but you don't write diaries (2+ / 0-)
        La Gitane, twigg

that invite the

"Is not!"

"Is, too!"

"Oh, huh!"

"Plus my mother said!"

"My comment can beat up your comment!"

type of thread.  Some people write diaries solely for that type of reaction.  Intentionally so.

Can you call yourself a real liberal if you aren't reading driftglass?

by CJB on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 09:14:50 AM PST

•  Off topic (1+ / 0-)
        twigg

But I got thinking that you might like this cover of Townes Van Zandt, and it seemed like as good a spot as any to share it.  I especially like the accordian and harp break; Irish in this case but those instruments turn up in Mexican music, too.

by Land of Enchantment on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 11:18:15 AM PST

•  I gotta say, I find no real point to posting a (2+ / 0-)
      CJB, SilentBrook

comment that merely says 'I agree' or 'thank you for posting this' or 'finally a voice of sanity' or any of that sort of stuff.

Your tip or rec says you agree, so unless you've got something more substantial to add, quit cluttering up the comments for people with slower connections.

•  Ha ha ! Yes. Although I've been guilty of (1+ / 0-)
        Dr Erich Bloodaxe RN

that a few times.  Mostly for effect.

That type of static commenced with a vengeance after the old rating system went away.  When we could rate 0 through 4 instead of just 0 and 4, people were more reluctant to post the "Dude, right on!" comments.  (Or was it 1 through 4? I don't remember now.) Was a day when you'd collect a small stack of 2s and a couple of 1s for that kind of "noise."

Since then, I've seen comments that actually say, "I have nothing to say" get mojo.

Can you call yourself a real liberal if you aren't reading driftglass?

by CJB on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 09:11:17 AM PST

•  There's nothing wrong with posting a comment (1+ / 0-)
        La Gitane

That says "Thanks for the diary" or "Great diary."

It's like when you're at a restaurant. Most people I know say thanks to the waiter/waitress for bringing them something, along with the tip that is left for them at the end of the meal.

It adds a personal component to recognizing someone's effort.

I'm more concerned with recognizing the diarist I'm reading than for some person who might be running a 56k modem to view the site, TBH.

Within moderation, of course. If there'e already 100 comments of recognition, then I can see where your coming from. ;)

~ Jerry Garcia