View Diary: Virginia legislator determined to wreck reasonable voter ID law that passed federal muster (49 comments)

•  Where Do You Live If I Might Ask? (9+ / 0-)

I show no ID, utility bill. Nothing to vote. My state issues a voter card, which I have on me, but never asked for it. All I am asked for is my name. That is it.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 09:40:15 AM PST

•  Ohio (13+ / 0-)

The GOP passed draconian voter ID laws here several years ago.  I don't think they realize it affects their own voters as well.

In Ohio you have to show  photo ID with current address, usually a state ID card or driver's license.

Link

A lot of our GOP'ers who don't have photo ID tend to be the guys who work in building trades - they often seem to have a bunch of papers in their trucks they can use.  I'm always amazed when they're able to go out to their truck, rummage around and come up with a utility bill or bank statement.

Democratic Leaders must be very clear they stand with the working class of our country. Democrats must hold the line in demanding that deficit reduction is done fairly -- not on the backs of the elderly, the sick, children and the poor.

by Betty Pinson on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 10:06:22 AM PST

•  That's the way it should be (10+ / 0-)

You show up to vote and give your name and address like I do when I vote.  The consequences for voter fraud are so onerous no one would do it, so there is no need for unnecessary "ballot security measures".   Those only serve to discourage voting for the benefit of one political party.

The only other thing I'd ask is that people remember to thank the poll workers for their service to the community.  These folks work long hours for very little compensation - they do it for the sake of democracy.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 10:44:40 AM PST

•  In VA (2+ / 0-)
      kj in missouri, high uintas

you always have to show something that indicates you are the person listed on the rolls: that could be something with a photo or something with that address, but the key is to match up person in the flesh with name and address on the rolls.  That's done by other pieces of paper.

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 08:01:14 PM PST

•  So, even if you (2+ / 0-)
        chakadog, high uintas

can document that you are the person you say you are, you have to be able to show that you actually live at that address, too.  If you move, it's a nightmare, especially if you haven't changed the address on your ID.

by a gilas girl on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 08:03:11 PM PST

•  This isn't entirely correct (1+ / 0-)
          high uintas

The only forms of id that require a current address under VA law are utility bills, bank statements, government checks, and paychecks.

Blue Jersey. All the news that slips from print.

by Scott in NJ on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 08:17:28 PM PST

•  but if you show up at a polling place (2+ / 0-)
            high uintas, maryru

with an id that doesn't match the address on the voting register, then they'll ask you for that second ID with the correct address on it.

I've seen it happen several times while voting, even in the very, very deep blue precinct where I've been voting for 10 + years.

by a gilas girl on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 08:23:08 PM PST

•  I really hate voter ID laws (1+ / 0-)
              a gilas girl

I have seen no evidence that they are necessary, and they definitely suppress the vote. I happen to work with very marginalized young people who are very transient (i.e. homeless) and who struggle with reuirements like this.  It only takes one rejection from a quasi-government official, or even the fear of that happening, to keep them from the polls. Forever.
              I know this is a very small slice of the population, but how many other people will never go back to a poliing place after being questioned about their identity?
              We have a hard enough time getting people to vote now!