View Diary: I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS, HELP ME PLEASE. (102 comments)

•  Daily Kos FAQ here: (16+ / 0-)

You needed to be searching for "Frequently Asked Questions" - there's a link at the bottom of the page.

•  Glossary: dunno if there is one, but (12+ / 0-)

if you're ever stuck on an abbreviation, just Google it.

GBCW: Goodbye, Cruel World -- something that terribly dramatic people post when they're about to flounce off in a huff, usually over some incredibly trivial spat they've had with another user.  They do this because they think anybody cares they're leaving.  Nobody ever does; in fact, we all get a laugh out of GBCW diaries.

TTFN: Ta-Ta For Now -- marginally less narcissistic version of the above.

IMO: In My Opinion.  This is really basic internet shorthand, now.  Where've you been??  Srsly, Google is your friend.

Front Pagers are selected by Markos and the admins.  The Rec List consists of diaries recommended by other users.  Your comments about "a clickish [sic] college newspaper" are subjective and not worth responding to.  You just sound jealous.

Trusted Users are people who've gained a lot of recommendations for their comments and diaries.  TU enables one to issue hide-ratings against disruptive comments and get a nice shiny gold badge in your profile.  It's THAT big of a deal.

As for asking people not to snark you, I find it hard to credit that you've been hanging around here for 8 years without somehow managing to glean all this information by a simple process of osmosis.  So don't be telling people not to snark when a lot of your questions exist just because you're too lazy to find out for yourself.

•  Here's a rule for you, kaminpdx: (21+ / 0-)

Don't HR people in your own diary.

by Meteor Blades on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 09:50:50 AM PST

•  I just read a post (2+ / 0-)
        Alice Olson, WakeUpNeo

by Kos from back in Sept of 2011. It talks about dickish behavior.  Your comments seem to be what he is talking about.

First calling someone lazy, classy. Because I don't have my head in the computer all day and learned all the lingo, menas I got a real life.

As for the snark, keep it to yourself.  I come to this site for serious discussions not your pettiness.

Finally, yes, I have been coming here for 8 years. Its people like you that had kept me from writing, until I decided I didn't give a FUCK what you thought.

•  Look, I'm saying this (13+ / 0-)

not to be snarky, but for your own sake.

Read Meteor Blades comment. You need to remove your HR on that comment or you may find yourself with at least a warning. For the reasons read my post downthread.

Ron Reagan: "Sarah Palin's constituency are people who wear red rubber noses and bells on their shoes."

by AnnetteK on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 10:01:29 AM PST

•  Heee! Gosh, how has Daily Kos *ever* (0+ / 0-)

managed to get along without you so far!

Funny, my gut instinct about people is so often right.  I knew you were an attitudinal time-waster from the tone of your diary, especially with your little whinge about a "clickish [ever heard of a dictionary?] college newspaper".

Glad I snarked you.  Only sorry I didn't lay it on as thick as I originally felt like.  Now, cram off.

•  don't start the new year insulting people, please. (8+ / 0-)

why not try being civil.  your comment is a reflexion on you, not the diarist.

•  Diarist is clearly lying, which is incivil, (1+ / 0-)
              Praxical

so how about a nice lecture for him/her too, please, while you're in the frame of mind to tell people how to behave?

Diarist knows how to embed a link in a comment, but doesn't know what "IMO" stands for?  Simply implausible.  Diarist feels comfortable posting a diary that is purely a vehicle for his/her "Daily Kos is a clickish [sic] college newspaper" slam, but can't successfully search for "Frequently Asked Questions"?  Pfft.

Sorry, I don't buy it.  I can smell the bad faith a mile off.  Don't forget, s/he is directly insulting you, and everyone who's ever had a diary on the Rec List, by averring that Daily Kos is merely a clique.  I'm defending you.  You should thank me.  :)

•  you are making a huge assumption here. (4+ / 0-)

there are many anacronisms that i don't know and haven't taken time to track down because it was not important.

i've been here for almot ten years - joined one month after you - and those anacronyms aren't that important.

what disturbs me is your calling the poster a liar based on the reasons given.  frankly, i don't know where to find the link to "frequently asked questions" either - and i aways have a devilish time finding the "contact us" link because i rarely use it!

furthermore, this diarist didn't say that "dailykos" is a clique - the diarist said there are cliques ON dailykos - something few will dispute.

sometimes listening to views that make us uncomfortable MAKE us uncomfortable because of the truth therein.

but that is how we learn and grow...

•  I'll insult you all day but don't say I am (1+ / 0-)
                BlueStateRedhead

insulting anyone else because I am not.

A few other things, before I stop wasting my time on your useless ass.

I wasn't saying that this is a cliquish (there used the correct spelling) site.  I actually read something in a diary yesterday or Saturday that implied that it was, and was just making a suggestion.

Second, your calling me a liar should get you HR'ed and too bad I cannot do it.  Tried, but was called out for rules violation.  For violating the rules I apologize to the other users of this site, but nothing but disdain for you.

As I said, I have been reading this site since 2004, but diaries only.  The diaries do not use abbreviations for the most part.  I also use Google for more important things than searching abbreviations.

As for the bottom of the site where the "frequently asked questions" are, guess I missed it.  You see, I am legally blind and I guess I miss things sometimes including an "o" being where an "a" should have been.  So now you can come back and insult me for being blind, how dare I?  How dare I not know everything as well.  Good thing we have people like you who do.

Another  thought.  Checked out your profile.  I notice you have over 13,000 comments recorded but not a single diary.  There isn't anything wrong with that, or at least there wouldn't be if all you did was read or make useful comments. But no, you're the kind who has to show how clever you are by putting people down.  I expect that kind of behavior from conservatives but not someone at a progressive site.  I thought being a progressive entailed having respect for people.

Lastly, as for being jealous about the rec list? I have been there already and community spotlight too.  Maybe when you grow some stones and actually write a diary you can get there too.

•  Thank you for being civil about an uncivil comment (5+ / 0-)

Nice touch, beginning with a please. You were actually very generous in your comment. Rec'd for keeping  the party polite.

"Are you bluish? You don't look bluish," attributed to poet Roger Joseph McGough, for the Beatles' Yellow Submarine (1968).

by BlueStateRedhead on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 12:01:04 PM PST

•  This sound a bit "dickish" to anyone? n/t (3+ / 0-)
          •  Why your answer is out of line, IMHO (3+ / 0-)
            kaminpdx, Alice Olson, WakeUpNeo

While I am a more recent ID than you. I am a TU and a subscriber with 8000 plus comments, so I not a time waster. I will therefore dare to dispute your reasons for judging the diarist and telling him/her/it to cram off:

Why having a low UID number gives the right to claiming superiority over other kogs is a mystery to me. Are we not a democratic site--for more voters, by analogy, members, as well as more and better Democratic office holders?

Spell check does not know the difference between reign and rein, as many diarists have discovered to their dismay, and thus the even less used, cliqueish and clickish.

From your spelling of whinge , I wonder if you are using a British spell checker. Perhaps you could be more tolerant of a new diarist who is asking for help.

For some who claims to be an authority on words, the word cram off is not in the Merriam Webster on line Dictionary and does not appear google-able with the word dictionary. If cram off means go away, only Kos is in a position to ban people.

by BlueStateRedhead on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 12:25:04 PM PST

•  I told the diarist to cram off (0+ / 0-)

because he abusively HRed me.  Please stop lecturing now.

•  What you said is what I responded to (3+ / 0-)
                kaminpdx, Alice Olson, WakeUpNeo
                Heee! Gosh, how has Daily Kos ever
                managed to get along without you so far!

So far/time waster=length of time on Dkos
                Cliquish
                Whinge
                Cram off

Nothing about HRing that I can see.

I gave reasons for considering you out of line here and further down in what I undertook in the hope of getting a discussion more toward the levels of civility that used to be the standard here.

Not your cup of tea, obviously. So I am off to drink mine in solitude, knowing that some of the commenter think that I have been civil.

by BlueStateRedhead on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 01:05:34 PM PST

•  for your information, there are many shortcut" (6+ / 0-)

abreviations that i have no idea what they mean - and i haven't been curious enough to find out.

not every person dives into research to find the meaning of a bunch of letters on a blog or text.

•  ttfn is not defined in the FAQ and is not gogglble (4+ / 0-)

and googlble is misspelled to fit into the subject line.

so this diarist is him/her/itself manna from heaven for asking for a glossary; also one of the enduring reasons for dkos is providing a place for company and support for those who live n the most red parts of our national map and cannot share their opinions with others without risking job or family harmony.

So ((((for our diarist)))) as well as recs and tips.

For those at work or the hurried here is the glossary that was used when I begin in '07 :

FAQ glossary

There is no glossary on the FAQ for DK4, as far as I can see:

DK$_FAQ link

by BlueStateRedhead on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 11:15:18 AM PST

•  Type ABBREV TTFN into your URL bar. (0+ / 0-)

EVERYTHING is Googlable if you just put in the tiniest modicum of effort.

•  Standard of effort for googling please (1+ / 0-)
            Celtic Merlin

You have asserted that you have an established standard for
            --attitudinal time-wastin
            --truth telling
            --sufficiency of knowledge of internet acronyms
            -- modicum of efforts on internet searching

I am genuinely puzzled.

Following your instructions, I have googled abbrev Loquatrix.

It tells me that Loquatrix has explained how to get state tags right on daily kos. It does not reveal that Loquatrix is a standard for any of the above, as, for example, Oliver R. Smoots are, for the length of for a bridge between Cambridge and Boston (364.4 smoots plus an ear), or on Google earth, anything it measures.

So how do I know that when I have failed in my googling efforts by your standards?

by BlueStateRedhead on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 12:51:58 PM PST

•  Huh? Why would you Google "abbrev Loquatrix"? (0+ / 0-)

Loquatrix is not an abbreviation.  It is my username on Daily Kos.

When I told you to Google "ABBREV [something]", I was explaining to you how to use Google to acquire a definition for an abbreviation.  Or you could just go direct to internetslang.com, if typing commands in the URL bar is as puzzling to you as it certainly seems.

God, it's a good job I'm not a teacher, isn't it.  I'd be sacked before Morning Recess for pounding my head on the desk and moaning entreaties to God to explain what I had done to deserve it all.

•  Snark. it was snark. (0+ / 0-)

Smoot is not an abbreviation either. It was snark about there being different measures for different things, some accepted in expert circles but not know to all. and an attempt to cool things down.
                But it is tea time my time zone, where a bridge is measured in smoots. I think everyone in this thread in whatever GMC- they are deserves a beverage break.

by BlueStateRedhead on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 01:33:27 PM PST

•  It's always tea time in my time zone (0+ / 0-)

but then yes, I am English, as you correctly identified, and tea time is 24 hours a day.  :)

•  Tempers certainly merited tea. cultural assumption (0+ / 0-)

1. Tempers were hot, although as far as my screen shows, no one  permanently hide rated anyone..

2. On British (really BBC/ITV, so English) shows on US TV, when  someone narrowly misses being a victim but is not harmed,  or when bad news of harm is received, or the detectives arrive looking for what used to be called help with inquiries.. tea is always made.

3. Moreover,  there was a near miracle, an appearance of MB, or as he is know in the BSRH household. "he who sits to the right hand of God, " God being Thor/Zeus/Jove ___name your divinity, aka he with the instant banning lightening power....

4. If so, we all deserve a cup of tea. off to make mine. Darjeeling Second Flush, leaves.

And to you in GMC, good night.

by BlueStateRedhead on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 02:04:34 PM PST