View Diary: The politics of Matt Taibbi's big con (105 comments)

•  It's interesting how many political commissars (0+ / 0-)

are around on a workday morning tho.

favorite band: twisted gloating

by citizen k on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 09:48:25 AM PST

•  And, of course, when all else fails... (13+ / 0-)

...the red-baiting.

Too bad. I happen to agree that apathy and despair is a key ingredient of the effort to persuade people that voting doesn't matter. Couldn't agree with you more.

by Meteor Blades on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 10:25:44 AM PST

•  political commissars are not a communist (0+ / 0-)

monopoly. However people who claim to be "on the left" and who insist on trying to control what others say are good candidates for the label.

I spent enough time in Communist countries in the good old days to recognize the type.

favorite band: twisted gloating

by citizen k on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 10:31:10 AM PST

•  Your use of the term "commissar" is ... (12+ / 0-)

...perfectly clear. It's not the first time we've had this discussion. And the hilarious part of your defense of this slur is that the commissars were part of the party and the government in power telling people what they should do, say and think, not the dissenters.

I think you make a reasonable case that Taibbi should have included material he left out of his RS piece to better let people make up their own mind about whether what happened was a good thing or not. But the flaming — anybody's flaming — dilutes persuasiveness.

by Meteor Blades on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 10:52:06 AM PST

•  actually that's not true (1+ / 0-)
            FrankAletha

the commissars had a terrible affect on Communist and Left parties that were not in power as well-  as anyone who ever was unfortunate enough to spend time with PL or Spartacus Youth League members knows only too well.  Sectarianism, the hobby of the socialist left, involves endless dispute about what can or cannot be thought. The presumption that one has the key to correct political position and that people who do not fall into line must be suppressed does not require the political power of the state.

I have found that in this forum, as long as I disagree with the "progressive" line, I will be assaulted as a neoliberal, centrist, DLC fanboy, etc. etc. , no matter how I phrase things. There is no disagreement with Taibbi or Greeenwald or BobSwern or other shining lights of the Progressive Line, only deviationism.

favorite band: twisted gloating

by citizen k on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 11:04:15 AM PST

•  I can agree with that, MB (4+ / 0-)

But it's quite another thing to ascribe that motivation to Taibbi.

If taibbi is wrong, refute him on the facts and leave it at that.

citizen k has gone so far as to ascribe motice; I mean, it's not as if apathy and despair isn't already within the body politic but Taibbi isn't causing it.

•  i don't think Taibbi WANTS to cause apathy (1+ / 0-)
          elmo

I think he wants to sell his stories and the "they are all crooks" story is easy to sell.

favorite band: twisted gloating

by citizen k on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 11:52:52 AM PST

•  That's his schtick (0+ / 0-)

so all that's necessary, it seems to me, is to annex "all of the facts" to the story,

But every politician (and most political commentators(including those here at Kos) does that).

•  That's a naive point of view. (6+ / 0-)

This website is populated by people who are passionate about politics. There's the newly active and the old vets, and everybody in between. It's a reliable bet that virtually all of us (minus the usual contingent of pass-through trolls and troublemakers) vote, every chance we get. We don't all agree on any politician or policy or even about what needs doing from the bottom up in all aspects of our political system. The nature of the political beast.

The attempts by some diarists to command subjects and issues on this website, and police the opinions that members are allowed to have/voice is... a pointless waste of time and energy by overgrown children. A majority of us have little patience for temper tantrums, no matter how much kicking and screaming and breath-holding accompanies them.

Nobody paying enough attention to keep track of news and analysis of this country's financial and political predicaments is going to stop voting because they find out the good guys and bad guys are largely interchangeable depending on what issue is highlighted and what day of the week it happens to be. It has always been thus. Critical thinkers are a dime a dozen on this website. We really don't need any hall monitors trying to force our thoughts and opinions into line.

•  Bingo! (1+ / 0-)
            renzo capetti

That has the ring of truth to it.