View Diary: Cheers and Jeers: Wednesday (181 comments)

•  They knock me out (5+ / 0-)

Put me to sleep.  Legal ones that is.  [Haven't tried the illegal kinds, actually.]  I had two different kinds after surgery.  I always forget the names of them, but one I recognized a while back as the stuff kids take for illegal prescription drugs - I don't know how they stay awake.

Nearly a year after my spinal surgery I decided I couldn't sleep for the rest of my life and quit taking them.

Now it's a balancing act to try not to destroy my liver or kidneys with max dosages of acetaminophen or naproxin sodium [can't take ibuprofen; the red food dye gives me bloody nightmares and I wake myself up screaming from frightening nightmares].

If there were a legal painkiller that would leave me awake with a functioning brain and body parts so I could continue with my genealogy research and all..., gimme, gimme, gimme...!  I'm afraid that's a daydream.

A shot of morphine doesn't even touch gout pain.  OMFG.  That's more painful than labor!  Morphine didn't do a whole lot for post-spinal surgery pain either.  I slept as much as I could so I wouldn't remember the pain.  Sleeping kept me from remembering to hit the pain med button so nurses came in and did that for me sometimes to "keep me from waking up screaming in agony."  Maybe the morphine did more than I thought it did, or else the supplemental pain meds in pill form were the thing that kept me sleeping through everything.  I dunno.  When I came down with an electrolyte imbalance post spinal surgery, that was another painful episode until they balanced my system out with calcium and potassium.

Still, pain is pain, and it's stressful.

Gentle empathetic hugs to you.... {{{agnostic}}}

by NonnyO on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 07:56:47 AM PST

•  vicodin. (6+ / 0-)

Did absolutely nothing for my migraines.

Knocked the shiznit outta my disc pain. I slept about 16 hours per day when I was on vicodin awaiting surgery. (Over two months of dreamland.)

The nurse gave me extra to go home with just in case. I never took a one recreationally. After 4 months sitting in my nightstand drawer, my dog got the drawer open and took the medicine bottle. He chewed the bottle open and gnawed it to shreds, leaving the pills in a neat little pile on the living room carpet. That was a close one.

I believe in democracy, civil liberties, and the rule of law. That makes me a liberal, and I’m proud of it. - Paul Krugman

by Gentle Giant on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 08:02:53 AM PST

•  And lucky, it sounds like! (4+ / 0-)
        grog, Gentle Giant, blue muon, GreenDog

Smart dog to leave the potential poisons alone!

Vicodin.  Yes.  That was one of the pills I had, now that I see the name.  I alternated taking that and Hydrocodone [something-codone].  I remembered that name after I hit Post above.

Neither one of 'em touched my migraines.  Only thing that ever worked on migraines was one cc of Gynergen in one arm, one cc of anti-nausea in the other arm, then home to sleep for 12 hours and awake feeling great.  That was my set routine for several years when I was going through a spate of frequent migraines.

I also walked around with about half a migraine 24/7 most of the time.

Years later, the connection between food allergies and my migraines was made.  I quit eating the foods and food products of things to which I'm allergic - MSG, tomatoes, sage, many grain products (including grain-based alcoholic beverages), some tree products, corn (I seem to be able to eat small quantities of creamed corn, just not much, so I ration that) and... voila!

Migraine-free!  No money spent on ER, shots, medications, no pain!  Quite wonderful, actually.  I just have to be careful of certain food smells: onions, green peppers, and the like - the odor alone gives me half a migraine and threatens to make me vomit.

My "diet" is exceedingly boring and I have to cook for myself (which is worse because I don't really enjoy cooking), but I put up with it to avoid pain.  At my age I have an amazing set of pain avoidance behaviors.

by NonnyO on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 08:20:25 AM PST

•  Deepest sympathies for your pain. Re painkillers, (3+ / 0-)
      blue muon, NonnyO, GreenDog

in all my time in hospital since mid-July I was given lots of Tylenol (2 Tylenol Two four times a day, typically).  That produced something really bad called, I'm pretty sure, pyroglutamic acidosis.  Devastating for the kidneys.  Off to emergency.  Fortunately one dialysis session turned everything around.  Apparently my reaction was so rare there's very little written about it.  Just writing about this FYI.

We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

by Observerinvancouver on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 09:27:30 AM PST

•  Not so rare. Just not publicized much (5+ / 0-)

Ever hear those disclaimers on T&V when a new medication is being pushed on an unsuspecting public?
        You know, the ones that employ speed talkers.

What we call god is merely a living creature with superior technology & understanding. If their fragile egos demand prayer, they lose that superiority.

by agnostic on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 09:52:24 AM PST

•  Well, the seven residents surrounding my bed (1+ / 0-)
          NonnyO

seemed to think it was rare.  And Vancouver General Hospital has a pretty good trauma centre.

by Observerinvancouver on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 12:42:46 PM PST