View Diary: Are you high, sir? Misguided former Rep. Patrick Kennedy to fight 'misguided' legalized marijuana (472 comments)

•  The real threat of the evil weed is (8+ / 0-)

to conventional thinking. Turning it into a mental problem needing counseling seems part of the "turn everything into a psyche problem." Like kids who are -- shockingly! -- bored at school.

I do wonder if Mr Kennedy has any financial stake in getting more people to counselors. Not to say he does, but one always has to wonder about unreformed politicians.

I do know two people who've had a psychotic episode because of weed, so I don't mean to pretend there's no danger. But the fact is most people just start thinking "wait a minute! what if..." when dealing with, well, darn near anything.

Not talking about the all-day smokers, but the occasional.

Don't have the link, but there was a recent study which had it that people high actually focused more clearly on a specific task than those not high. I'd think because they are more alert to nuances.

The Internet is just the tail of the Corporate Media dog.

by Jim P on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 07:18:52 PM PST

•  asdf (2+ / 0-)
      atana, kyril
      I do know two people who've had a psychotic episode because of weed
      And you are absolutely sure of the causal relationship  here?
      •  Well, they reported smoking it and (3+ / 0-)
        kbman, War on Error, kyril

minutes later experiencing such intense and extreme anxiety they literally ended up in emergency rooms, and in one case, needing therapy after. As if they had a severe reaction to LSD or somesuch.

So as sure as I can be.

The Internet is just the tail of the Corporate Media dog.

by Jim P on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 07:51:14 PM PST

•  I've seen people become anxious on pot (6+ / 0-)
          Jim P, skohayes, JesseCW, Aquarius40, IreGyre, kyril

even to the point of requiring some sort of intervention. General talking about the present circumstances works. Getting them to acknowledge that they are just experiencing the effect of a drug, and that it will soon wear off and they will be fine, helps this to be the case most of the time. I've never seen someone need to be sent to the ER, though it's not surprising to read.

Free: The Authoritarians - all about those who follow strong leaders.

by kbman on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 10:36:51 PM PST

•  Both people were, much later in life, (4+ / 0-)
            kbman, skohayes, IreGyre, kyril

formally diagnosed, and fairly successfully treated, for acute anxiety disorders. So I imagine weed's a kind of thing which finely-tuned people could overreact to.

The Internet is just the tail of the Corporate Media dog.

by Jim P on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 10:41:47 PM PST

•  already anxious? best to steer clear or slowly (1+ / 0-)
              kyril

adjust to smoking it... a newbie effect... too much all at once can be not so great.

it could just be that they'd be better off not smoking or perhaps avoiding certain strains that have too much of whichever cannabinoid is unhelpful for them.

And like a glass of wine or one drink to relax is great but continuing to drink a lot... and that can be just as bad and even send someone to the ER with acute alcohol poisoning.

And sometimes the anxiety people on pot... it is not the pot... someone slips them some weed laced with something else that makes anyone very UN-mellow... even small amounts of some other drugs can sort of wipe higher brain functions for a while... or make people feel ill etc.

Pogo & Murphy's Law, every time. Also "Trust but verify" - St. Ronnie (hah...)

by IreGyre on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 09:09:20 AM PST

•  Probably laced with something (1+ / 0-)
          kyril

That is why I quit weed decades ago.  It's too strong.  I miss the mellow weed I enjoyed sailing the Bahamas for a year.

If I could grow my own few plants, a mellow version,  I would smoke it to help with writers' block.

It's difficult to be happy knowing so many suffer. We must unite.

by War on Error on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 09:00:43 AM PST

•  didn't that guy who won an Olympic medal (2+ / 0-)
      austropithicus, kyril

smoke weed?

if necessary for years; if necessary, alone

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 10:13:59 PM PST

•  More than one guy who won an Olympic (2+ / 0-)
        kyril, SouthernLiberalinMD

medal.  The first guy to ever win an Olympic Gold for snowboarding came up positive.

I know.  A snowboarder who smoked pot.  No one ever could have anticipated...

However, they banned a guy from competing in Judo last summer because cannabis apparently makes you awesome by destroying your fear.

Daredevil didn't have to get by a truck full of toxic waste and go blind, he just needed to smoke a bowl.

"Furthermore, if you think this would be the very very last cut ever if we let it happen, you are a very confused little rabbit." cai

by JesseCW on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 05:59:32 AM PST

•  This could help explain the result I commented (8+ / 0-)

on above. In multiple studies it has been found that people who have smoked pot in the previous few hours had a far lower likelihood of ending up in the Emergency Room than people who were straight. One of the researchers said that it was as though pot had some type of protective property. This could be it.

I also know that this has always been true for me. One of the things that I do is finish carpentry. What I've found works quite well for me is to take a hit of pot and a centering breath or two before starting any kind of cut which is complex or requires particularly close precision. I most always get the result I'm working for and have an exceptional safety record.

Back when I did computer programming I also found that maintaining a light high combined with caffeine enabled me to crank out design work and code at several times the rate that I could when I was straight. When I was straight it was work, when I was high it flowed. I would see entire blocks of code at a time and transcribe them from my brain to the program. I was also less error-prone while high - consistent with variable name spellings, syntax, and especially in interfacing with other sections of code. Things that I needed to stop and reference when I was straight were just a thought away when stoned - and with certainty, because I had a map of the whole project in my head. But I could only use that map when I was high.

That's my experience of teh evul weed. YMMV.

Free: The Authoritarians - all about those who follow strong leaders.

by kbman on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 10:29:53 PM PST

•  A couple interesting studies (3+ / 0-)
      Jim P, rambler american, kyril

Your brain functions by focusing, by turning things off now and then. the better to do this or that.  It's a feature, not a bug.  One of the studies I remember reading was that it turned off the part of the brain that does short-term memory, thus allowing the more creative, pattern-spotting part of the brain to dominate.  Hence, reefer's rap for "short term memory loss"--and its accurately described ability to enhance creative day-dreaming, enjoyment of the moment and such.  Mind you, this is all in and at the moment, the short-term memory function comes right back when you are sober again.  Just--you're less likely to remember what you learned while high.

•  yes, back in my younger days in the 70s (1+ / 0-)
      kyril

I found that unlike many users I often found that use of cannabis focused my mind. My normal mind state has always been a bit scatter shot... I can and do focus on things so it is not a day to day problem... but my mind does wander creatively and or just wanders, daydreaming... But with a puff or two back then (especially if I had not bothered in a few days)... there would be a big difference. It would even make me want to exercise... I would notice tight or slack muscles intuitively and would feel compelled to stretch, limber up etc. and then think about all the things I was forgetting or putting off... lists of things to do all came into focus and I everything seemed like no big deal... just got going and did as much as was doable in the situation... took care of business. (but this did not work if the weed continued day after day... it was an in between, intermittent thing between none and more often/too much) It usually had to be a Goldilocks balance. But other times if there was just one thing to do, more than usual could also work very well.

One time back then as a very occasional and not all that  good a chess player since my mind wandered off the game too much I found that Cannabis could help... On that occasion I played what ended up being my best ever game while unusually high against a much more regular and experienced player. Maybe they had an off game? who knows? I won and that was in part because I stayed VERY concentrated on the game... laser like. Not something I put to the test again... I was brain tired afterwards but it was exhilarating to be that clear and focused on just that game and nothing else and somehow see more than I usually did being as I was a very unsophisticated player.

Pogo & Murphy's Law, every time. Also "Trust but verify" - St. Ronnie (hah...)

by IreGyre on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 09:02:57 AM PST

• Recommended (120)
  • Community (56)
  • Elections (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Media (22)
  • Law (21)
  • Environment (21)
  • Culture (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Science (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Marriage Equality (16)
  • Ireland (16)
  • Economy (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Bernie Sanders (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Health Care (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site