View Diary: A Story about Some Gunaholics (137 comments)

•  People who think guns make them safe (2+ / 0-)
    DefendOurConstitution, Kevskos

are not dealing with reality.  Nothing makes up safe.  Nothing can ever make us safe.  You takes your chances and you deal with the details.  Can't deal with that concept?  You're a coward.

Democracy, if done properly, is rude, messy, and loud

by allensl on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 10:44:41 PM PST

•  You Mad Bro? LOL. (7+ / 0-)

I'll take my gun in the woods here in rural Alaska and you please feel free to bleat"coward" anonymously on the internet from your townhouse living room.  You're a silly parody -- what do you feel about that concept?

The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety. H.L. Mencken

by ancblu on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 12:06:07 AM PST

•  I'm in Alaska (0+ / 0-)

I know you and the kind of folks you represent.  Cowards.

And it's Sis, not Bro.  Bro.

I'm an Alaskan first, but I don't have any respect for you 'boys' who have more testosterone than sense.

Grow up y'all.

Democracy, if done properly, is rude, messy, and loud

by allensl on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 09:25:54 PM PST

•  As a Vet....I'd have to disagree.... (12+ / 0-)

I found that people who make statements about what a coward is, have never been in the position to know....

•  I agree with you to some extent, and certainly (4+ / 0-)
        buddabelly, ancblu, ban nock, bruddaone

my opinion of what makes someone a coward or not changed greatly from my experience in Afghanistan. I am far less judgmental now.

For example, I would not mock someone for shitting or pissing their pants, as long as they did their job. I never saw anyone do it, but I wouldn't care if they did. They certainly would not be cowards from my point of view.

I was never more stressed or scared in my life than when one of our own ANA soldiers emptied a magazine into the center of our patrol base. After that, I was very nervous anytime I was asked to go out on patrols alone with the ANA. I did it, but I did not sleep very much, and had butterflies in my stomach all the time.

I would, however, call someone who bragged in preparations, but then weaseled his way out of dangerous missions constantly, even when we needed him, a coward.

Anyone who didn't do their part, in my opinion, acted cowardly.

"If you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing!" (on a sign at a Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans)

by ranger995 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 08:19:11 AM PST

•  ranger995 - I'm not talking about war (1+ / 0-)
          ranger995

Neither are the people who talk about carrying their weapons every where.  They have no idea about killing.  They like to pretend.

I don't have any patience for someone who thinks they are John Wayne, when they are really a fool, who thinks they have the right to pontificate.

The people who think they are going to 'protect' me, are the people most likely to end up killing me.  No thanks.

Democracy, if done properly, is rude, messy, and loud

by allensl on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 09:34:20 PM PST

•  I agree with you for the most part, but I (0+ / 0-)

also agree that it is hard to tell someone if someone is a coward.

To be honest with you, one of the bravest people I have every met never carried a gun at all. She worked for Doctors without Borders in several war-torn African countries and had to negotiate with armed rebels and soldiers all the time. I am not sure I could have done that.

by ranger995 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 12:00:01 PM PST

•  I'm not talking about war (0+ / 0-)

I'm talking about living in Alaska - this I know from experience.  The people who talk shit, have nothing to back them up.

Democracy, if done properly, is rude, messy, and loud