View Diary: How not to talk about guns (61 comments)

•  I really liked your suggestion about expanding (1+ / 0-)
    SilentBrook

background checks.

Do you have any hardware ideas, as in limiting magazine size or the types of guns civilians should be allowed?

With your voluminous subject knowledge, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

**Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does** h/t Clytemnestra/Victoria Jackson

by glorificus on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 11:48:21 AM PST

•  Limiting magazine sizes (5+ / 0-)

strikes me as a "feel good".
      Big ass magazines jam more, and i can swap out on the guns that I have wicked fast, because I've practiced it.
      I have a pistol that has a 10 round magazine.
      I can get 21 rounds off in nothing flat with a break between 11 and 12 that's no problem.
      Point is, limiting magazine size doesn't do what you think it will.
      As to types of guns?
      I'd leave it the way it is. It's been the same way since the NFA was passed in the 30s.

"Everything I do is blown out of proportion. It really hurts my feelings." - Paris Hilton

by kestrel9000 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 11:56:03 AM PST

•  That second or two to swap magazines? (1+ / 0-)
        MarkC

A lot can happen in a second or two:

•  Oh come on! You're a creative guy, I'm sure you (3+ / 0-)
        BachFan, Hey338Too, MarkC

can think of helpful suggestions.

Have another cup of coffee for that caffeine boost.

by glorificus on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 01:12:30 PM PST

•  My most jam-resistant rifle is (0+ / 0-)

my SKS using stripper clips. I think if I practiced with it, I could get loading time down to around a second. I'd have to have a belly pack to grab new clips from, though.

But the targets I shoot at are usually rather cooperative, only moving 3 or 4 inches between the time the gun goes boom and the bullet impacts the target. That's the only way I can explain those fairly large patterns....

It's only a hobby for me, can you tell?

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 01:17:01 PM PST

•  saving lives feels good (0+ / 0-)

why should we leave it as it is?

what is so important about having access to what you call "big ass magazines" that we wouldn't want to regulate them in a way that might have saved a classroom in Connecticut?

"Stare at the monster: remark/ How difficult it is to define just what/ Amounts to monstrosity in that/ Very ordinary appearance." - Ted Hughes

by MarkC on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 04:01:06 PM PST

•  i'm not convinced it would have (1+ / 0-)
          FrankRose

and I don't ban things on a "just might" basis.

by kestrel9000 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 03:39:22 AM PST

•  all regulation affects the future (0+ / 0-)

when they started testing drivers' blood alcohol levels, it was all on spec in exactly this way.

you've got to use some common sense here -- you're "just might" statement leaves you exposed as a complete libertarian.

by MarkC on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 02:19:04 PM PST

•  I dunno about a COMPLETE libertarian (0+ / 0-)

I support universal health care and a strong social safety net, or example...but when it comes to the right to the means of self defense and the principles behind that, I suppose that on that particular issue, a libertarian and I would agree on much, yes.

by kestrel9000 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 03:57:58 PM PST

•  But large magazines are a public health issue (0+ / 0-)

Jared Loughner would have been subdued sooner if he didn't have the clips he did. They are empirically bad for the people's health.

So how do reconcile your "absolute" support of gun rights with your support of health care? Something's got to give, and really that's all most of us are saying. Keep both priorities, but it is necessary to make some kind of compromise to both. There are no rights in the Constitution that are absolute, even that one.

by MarkC on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 06:21:13 PM PST