Skip to main content

View Diary: Obama picks yet another homophobe for benediction (277 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  You think homophobes 'didn't' vote for Obama too? (1+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:

    You think it was all democrats and gay supporters huh?  Obama hit what, 90% if the black vote right?  I promise you at least 70% of them are 'homophobes', the other 30% were under 35, gay blacks or blacks like me who don't dig the denial of civil rights under any circumstances whatsoever because if the history (the arguments I always give to my stubborn aunts and uncles).

    •  Why? Are you one of them? (3+ / 0-)

      You're spending an awful amount of time defending one.

      •  First lets not get this twisted. My vote helped (3+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        DruidQueen, oldmilitant, CocoaLove

        gay marriage pass in MD--which passed by a very thin margin in the bluest of blue states.  The great blue crab state of Maryland.  But I'm sure I have a little homophobe in me.  It's not like I woke up and was like, I'm okay with two of the same sex together. Again, I've just never been down for denying every tax payi citizen basic rights.  And any straight person that says that they don't have a touch of homophobe in them is a fucking liar.  They all rainbow till you hit a nerve.  My old job was so super liberal.  My boss was gay, they all loved Obama, a bunch of trial lawyers.  Or so I thought.  My boss adopted a baby and that nerve was hit.  You could cut the discomfort with a knife.  Everyone was fine he was gay, fine he was married.  It was peace, love and liberal hair grease, till what was their nerve hit.  Now of course they fakes the funk and still smiled that same smile, but behind his back, totally uncomfortable.  Now, what I'm defending is Obama's prerogative to be as inclusive as he can want to be at his final inauguration.  And I'm defending the notion that people can change, broaden after 20 years.  The country certainly did.  It's got O'Reilly looking down a bottle every night.

    •  That doesn't mean they need to be showcased (4+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      TiaRachel, laker, blueoasis, JesseCW

      I know people, sadly, who still use the N-word but like Obama. I know, sadly, some people who don't like Mexicans. I have known people who treat women with less than respect.
      None of these people should be featured at a historic, iconic event  such as this.

      •  And yet Jay Z, entire republican caucus (0+ / 0-)

        and Fox News will be there.  And a lotta black clergy on the stage that went out and fought against marriage equality. I'm telling you, you are two steps from saying Obama has no business being at his inauguration too. Just what, 2-2 1/2 years ago he said marriage was between a man and woman.  That certai my wasn't representative of Democrats, right? Or was it?  A la DOMA-DADT <--- Dems built that.

        •  You keep doing this thing - pretending DADT was (1+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:

          the start of discrimination against gays in the military.

          It's really annoying and counter-factual.

          "Furthermore, if you think this would be the very very last cut ever if we let it happen, you are a very confused little rabbit." cai

          by JesseCW on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 11:51:57 PM PST

          [ Parent ]

      •  Tough shit, they will be. n/t (0+ / 0-)
        •  reall? (1+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:
          None of these people should be featured at a historic, iconic event  such as this.
          (emph added)

          featured? who? name one single person, other than the homophobe that the obama administration has tapped for the benediction, that falls into this category.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site