View Diary: We Need A Symbol. A Name. A Vision. (45 comments)

•  Sustainability, some form of evolution of (3+ / 0-)
    Eowyn9, durrati, Lady Libertine

the symbol for Recycling, and

In the morning we will wake up
    and take to the air
    Look back at the planet -
    I'm glued to my chair

Southern half is burning
    as we climb through the sky
    Sea-birds softly falling,
    smoke way up high

There's the contours of the mountains,
    the deserts and plains
    And a hurricane is blowing,
    and it turns once again

Now there's oil spills in the water
    where Columbus once sailed
    And there's history and mystery
    and it's rolling away

I wish you could see
    this great mystery

Earth and sun and moon,
    human tribe,
    thin blue line

Eath and sun and moon
    will survive

Sediment is plowing
    from river to sea
    Now where are the mighty nations,
    no lines to be seen

An axe upon the broken ground,
    the sigh of the trees
    And its floating in the ether,
    it brings me to my knees

Too messed up to care,
    Got a wing and a prayer,
    In the blink of an eye

Earth and sun and moon,
    human tribe,
    one thin blue line,
    Earth and sun and moon
    will survive, will survive, we will survive

The Class, Terror and Climate Wars are indivisible and the short-term outcome will affect the planet for centuries. -WiA "When you triangulate everything, you can't even roll downhill..." - PhilJD

by Words In Action on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 07:16:31 AM PST

•  A modified recycling symbol might be a good (1+ / 0-)
      Words In Action

idea -- it portrays "sustainability" quite well.

(The idea of the closed circle/loop is also a very traditional one...the infinity symbol, the snake eating its own tail, and so on.)

Maybe something with leaves (which represent solar power)/green integrated into it?

I'm not sure about the term "sustainability" for a movement name, since it's still quite abstract. It is, though, MUCH more positive than anything to do with "climate", and it sums up our goal quite nicely.

Let's make 2013 the year we take back our planet.

by Eowyn9 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 07:27:40 AM PST

•  Maybe a globe with the cycle arrows around it? (1+ / 0-)
        Eowyn9

The arrows could have inlaid leafy vines?

I get your point on "Sustainability" being abstract but also better than Climate... I just can't think of anything better at the moment.

Evolve?

Too contentious with the Intelligent Design folks? Of course, can we really promote sustainability without embracing science and derailing anti-science?

by Words In Action on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 08:26:11 AM PST

•  Regarding evolve, (0+ / 0-)

obviously an understanding of evolution needs to be central to any earth/environmental movement. But if we do want to win over the intelligent design/creationist crowds, it's probably best not to be blatant about it.

(I was raised young earth creationist. Vociferously defended it for many years. I was a good debater, too, and a voracious reader -- so I was able to come up with a wide array of arguments to support my stance. In the end I shifted gradually to intelligent design, then to what one might call theistic evolution, simply because I began to recognize the weight of evidence in its favour, bit by bit.

At the time, though, if someone had launched an "evolve" movement, I probably would have looked at the name, rolled my eyes and walked off.)

Let's make 2013 the year we take back our planet.

by Eowyn9 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 08:34:50 AM PST

•  Yeah, I don't know what word or 2-3 word phrase (1+ / 0-)
            Eowyn9

would cover the notion of sustainability, which is going to require a cultural evolution, which is also free enough of existing connotations to be ideologically pure. I mean, once you connect the environment, you've got a pretty strong ideological divide with the majority of Republicans, who view all environmental concern with disdain. And there is anything that connotes a spiritual level, you will lose people in both parties who will recoil at the hint of new age and/or pagan evangelism.

btw, on the circle of arrows, I'm thinking that the "tail" might actually begin a bit to the left and the "head" might extend a bit to the right, to give it a temporal dimensions (past, present, future).

by Words In Action on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 08:46:46 AM PST

•  I think the name does need to have (1+ / 0-)
              Words In Action

some reference to the environment, or the earth (even at the risk of alienating Republicans). Otherwise it'll be too vague.

Probably best to steer clear of the "spiritual" aspect. Though Noddy below suggested "The Genesis Project" (Genesis Movement might also work), which I like.

I am trying to picture the thing with the arrows -- do you mean like a sort of outward spiral (or the beginning of one?)

Let's make 2013 the year we take back our planet.

by Eowyn9 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 08:55:58 AM PST

•  I mean a an arrow that enters a (1+ / 0-)
                Eowyn9

circle of arrows, from the left, at 12 o'çlock, follows the circle around a globe, then exits at 12 o' clock, stage right.

Make sense. Head on, the shape might look a little like a bird, with the circle as the body and the arrows entering and exiting as the wings...

by Words In Action on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 09:25:56 AM PST

•  Ah! I see what you mean. (1+ / 0-)
                  Words In Action

That would be cool, and it is a good idea to have "direction" to the circle. Nobody likes the idea of ONLY "going around in circles". Adding the future dimension really gives a sense of hope and aspiration to the symbol.

There is one issue with any symbol having a left-to-right direction: in some countries (including most of the Middle East) writing, and symbolic graphics, are generally read right to left.

Hard to know how to get around this. Maybe the direction should be "up" instead?

Let's make 2013 the year we take back our planet.

by Eowyn9 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 09:32:28 AM PST

•  Hmmm. (0+ / 0-)

Even if we think of it more in the form of a clock (i.e., clockwise)?

My brain is starting to ache a little. :)

by Words In Action on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 09:45:42 AM PST

•  My browser ate my reply! Aaarghh! Sigh. (0+ / 0-)

Will try to remember my thoughts.

About evolve -- yes, an understanding of evolution is central to any environmental/earth movement. But if we're trying to win over the creationist/ID crowd, perhaps it's best not to be blatant about it.

(I can sympathize as I was raised young-earth creationist. Gradually shifted my views to first ID, then theistic evolution, as I began to recognize the evidence in its favour. It took a couple decades, though. A movement with a name like "Evolve" would probably only have made me walk away scornfully at one point.
          Probably best to keep the evolution aspect implicit, not explicit.)

Let's make 2013 the year we take back our planet.

by Eowyn9 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 08:39:52 AM PST