View Diary: At this rate, it won't be long before 'Plan B' seems like the good old days for John Boehner (76 comments)

•  Here's The Thing, Obama's Back Pocket Is BIGGER (6+ / 0-)

And he's got a few hole cards in there, possibly some aces, including:

Much more savings than anticipated from drawing down Afghanistan.  Much more savings than anticipated from restructuring of the M/M to Health Homes model. He can use this extra cash to offset any of the cuts for sequestration.

I think Obama is MUCH more willing to just let the sequestration take effect now that he has PROTECTED the most vulnerable among us with extended UI, food stamps etc. and locked in lower rates for the middle class.

He has raised taxes on the wealthy and so have MORE revenue coming in.

Obama is ready and prepared to let sequester happen if necessary, and has plans to help the most critical discretionary programs with funds from other savings.

This post is dedicated to myself, without whom, I'd be somebody else. Though I'd still be an asshole. My Music: [http://www.myspace.com/beetwasher]

by Beetwasher on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 08:29:21 AM PST

•  I am totally unsure as to what, if anything, (1+ / 0-)
      ColoTim

Obama will "let happen", since it appears that his desire to "do something" overrides any political motives or policy objectives. He seems to prize control above all else, and letting things happen runs counter to that feeling.

"Lone catch of the moon, the roots of the sigh of an idea there will be the outcome may be why?"--from a spam diary entitled "The Vast World."

by bryduck on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 08:54:35 AM PST

•  He Already DID Something (1+ / 0-)
        ColoTim

He set up the sequester scenario, and now he's letting it run it's course.

by Beetwasher on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 09:00:33 AM PST

•  We'll see. He still likes him some (0+ / 0-)

Grand Bargains, and he isn't known for leaving things well enough alone.

by bryduck on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 09:03:39 AM PST

•  Really? How So? (0+ / 0-)

So far, there's been no grand bargain by the guy who supposedly loves them so much.

by Beetwasher on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 09:06:46 AM PST

•  Everything he's done has had (0+ / 0-)

unrelated stuff jammed into the negotiations, if not the final compromise. Debt ceiling talks last time had UI and sequestering and I can't remember what else. Bush tax cut expirations this time around had UI, delay of sequestration, payroll taxes, and some spending issues tied up into it, too. The first Bush tax cuts compromise had spending cuts and annual budget stuff in it.
              You can certainly argue that this is how it's always done, to be sure, but that only sidesteps the fact that Obama, too, does it that way.

by bryduck on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 09:14:39 AM PST

•  Somehow, They Never Become Policy, Do They? (0+ / 0-)

Funny that.

by Beetwasher on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 09:40:28 AM PST

•  But I only brought up (0+ / 0-)

the bills and their contents that were passed . . .

by bryduck on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 09:42:01 AM PST

•  The Added Things That Get Passed (0+ / 0-)

Are all good stuff, UI, Food Stamps Etc.  I got no problem with that.

by Beetwasher on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 09:49:06 AM PST

•  It doesn't appear to be through lack of trying (1+ / 0-)
              limpidglass

It appears to me to be more a case of the Republicans refusing to take "yes" for an answer.

•  As If That Response Is Not Easy To Predict (1+ / 0-)
                ColoTim