View Diary: This guy right here ... (753 comments)

•  Or... (7+ / 0-)

I could just be faced by more than one attacker. Or I could have chosen to fire one or more warning shots. Or I may have simply missed, even twice! Or I could have hit my attacker, but not in any way that disabled him.

Start talking about a combination of any of the above and six rounds start to look very meager. Understanding that these things may happen isn't an admission that I "stink" with a gun, it's a mature acceptance that I'm not an action hero- that I am prone to missing out of panic, shooting multiple warning shots out of reluctance to kill a man...

•  Exactly, You're Not An Action Hero, So Stop (21+ / 0-)

Pretending you are and that you need 20 round clips to fight off zombie hordes.

You don't need 20 round clips. Period. And you don't need a semi automatic weapon. Period.

It's your irrational fear talking, not reality. You love the comfort of your semi automatic gun.  It makes you feel secure. But that's not my problem, it's yours and while currently the 2A is interpreted to mean you have an individual right to own a weapon, it doesn't mean it can be a semi automatic one with a 20 round clip.

You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning than being attacked by a hoard of meth heads that necessitate you having a semi auto with 20 rounds.

This post is dedicated to myself, without whom, I'd be somebody else. Though I'd still be an asshole. My Music: [http://www.myspace.com/beetwasher]

by Beetwasher on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 01:52:56 PM PST

•  20 rounds allows a lot more room for error (4+ / 0-)

than 6. I understand that I am human, and prone to error, so I carry a weapon that allows me room for it.

And yes, having a large capacity pistol does make me feel more secure, largely because it makes me much more effective in a much wider array of situations in which I might need to defend myself.

•  Too Bad for You, Because Society May Deem (14+ / 0-)

You don't need that amount of security or that much room for "error".  I also agree, you don't need it.

Better be prepared to deal with that outcome.

Your SENSE of security is not worth your snapping with your mass killing device and taking out a bunch of people.

by Beetwasher on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 02:03:10 PM PST

•  Just what we all need because we never (20+ / 0-)

know when little six year olds may cross our paths in a threatening manner.

Jeezus - I  can't believe some of the crap I'm reading.

•  And it's OK with you if that "error" you're (12+ / 0-)

prone to manifests itself in the death of several innocent bystanders due to the fusillade of lead emanating from your weapon in the Hollywood-like shootout you're imagining?

"Bernie Madoff's mistake was stealing from the rich. If he'd stolen from the poor he'd have a cabinet position." -OPOL

by blue in NC on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 02:52:22 PM PST

•  Some of us would rather not be in range of (10+ / 0-)

your errors.

When banjos are outlawed, only outlaws will have banjos.

by Bisbonian on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 03:28:10 PM PST

•  Where did that error bullet go? (15+ / 0-)

I am a veteran as well and have always considered myself a pro second amendment supporter.  However, there is no need for more than six shots in any reality based, self defense, scenerio.  I have been in some very rough areas and never had a gun with me in any of them.  I have had many altrications but have only had one gun, as an adult, pulled on me and if I would have had a gun, either he or I would not be here today to tell about it.  One of us would be dead and the other would probably be in prison.  If he or I would have fired a weapon and missed, there is probably a fifty/fifty chance that someone else, someone innocent, would have been hit.  I am glad I didn't have a weapon and I am glad he didn't shoot.  Most of the time, people who have a gun don't say draw, they come up behind you and shoot you in the back of the head.  Now you are dead and the killer has another weapon.

If you need a weapon, in a reality based scenerio, you would never need more than six bullets.  If you need more than six, you probably would have stood a better chance running away than fighting.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not YET sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favour..."

by Buckeye Nut Schell on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 03:47:38 PM PST

•  A longer engagement definitely (1+ / 0-)
            annieli

suggests opportunity to disengage and flee, at least in a public, open place. When I'm alone.

What if this occurs indoors? Or in my home? What if I have to consider the danger posed to my family, making fleeing unreasonable or unwise? A clean escape is often not going to be possible.

If a sustained engagement must occur, I would much rather be armed to properly participate.

•  Thing is (6+ / 0-)

We make laws for the benefit of society, not to allow you the most leeway to deal with any particular scenario you can imagine.

There is truth on all sides. The question is how much.

by slothlax on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 05:45:36 PM PST

•  No one has yet shown... (4+ / 0-)

how my being armed with a pistol holding 20 rounds conflicts with the benefit of society.

•  Well, its not all about you (1+ / 0-)
                  wonmug

Look, I'm not an absolutist.  I just want measures that will bring down the levels of gun violence and it seems reasonable to me, for many of the reasons you use to justify wanting a 20 round magazine, to not want that kind of capability freely available to criminals and madmen.

If someone can show me a that limit on magazines is ineffective in bringing down levels of gun violence, then I'll support other ideas.  And reciting how proficient you, personally, are with weapons is pretty much irrelevant.

There is truth on all sides. The question is how much.

by slothlax on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 06:04:55 PM PST

•  "Freely Available." (2+ / 0-)
                    Not A Bot, KVoimakas

There are ways to control access to an item without banning it outright. And banning it outright will not necessarily control access to it. In fact, it certainly won't.

So I would be restricted in a way that affects my day to day life in an appreciable way, so that... what? What evidence do you have that this will bring down gun violence levels?

•  The same evidence you have that it won't (1+ / 0-)
                      splintersawry

In what appreciable way would such a change effect your day to day life?

I am not an expert, I don't have studies at my fingertips.  But if people who look into such things believe it will make it more difficult to use guns to kill as many people is possible now, then its an idea worth adopting.

And the idea that banning things is not effective is laughable.  How many of the currently banned firearms or munitions are used in gun violence?

There is truth on all sides. The question is how much.

by slothlax on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 06:15:39 PM PST

•  Banning drugs certainly worked out well, eh? (1+ / 0-)
                      KVoimakas

eom

•  Well, Jared Loughner did. (0+ / 0-)

When banjos are outlawed, only outlaws will have banjos.

by Bisbonian on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 07:30:48 PM PST

•  You are not at war anymore, hon. (1+ / 0-)
              Vetwife

Go talk to someone.  Get it out of your head that you are still at war.

David Koch is Longshanks, and Occupy is the real Braveheart.

by PsychoSavannah on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 07:31:28 PM PST

•  That is completely disrespectful. (0+ / 0-)

How dare you?

"You have to let it all go, Neo. Fear, doubt, and disbelief. Free your mind." -Morpheus, The Matrix

by Sarenth on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 12:09:43 AM PST

•  Disrespectful or not... (2+ / 0-)
                  indie17, madhaus

It is very common for people to develop defense mechanisms that are perfectly rational in one setting and irrational in another.  Just because someone is a veteran and we honor their service with gratitude does not mean that we have to completely ignore the fact that military preparations for war and the militant surrounding environment necessitates certain cautions and a level of preparedness not suited for civilian life.

I am not worried that this person will be a danger to society but if this fear of not having enough capacity to fight off an attack goes unchallenged, it could develop in to a danger to himself in more ways than just gun violence.  Perceiving the environment to be more dangerous than it really is can lead to isolationism, social anxieties and other troubling issues.  I spent a lot of time dealing with PTSD and listened to how it wrecked peoples lives (not to mention a big piece of my own).  The diarist was quick to point out that they did not see combat but that does not mean they didn't experience traumatic events.  my friends son committed suicide after he returned because of survivor's guilt.

Worrying that you need more than six rounds of ammunition in this country under any but the most drastic occupations is cause for concern.  I am not trying to be condescending but I worry about our troops and the utter lack of support they get when they leave the service.  Often, guys who did not see action disount the need for any treatment or attention because their bravado tells them, "those other guys are the real heroes, they are the ones who really put themselves in harms way.  The are the ones who deserve praise."  And we reinforce that with policies that elevate certain jobs and discount others.  "Oh, you were just in Germany?  Oh, you didn't see any real action?  Oh, you're not a real veteran?"

People do not realize that these things too can be traumatic.  I honor and respect this fellow kossack but condescending or not, I am a little worried about him.

by Buckeye Nut Schell on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 06:20:30 AM PST

•  That I can respect (0+ / 0-)

insofar as you are both worried about him and glad for his service.  Speculating about peoples' mental health over the Internet, unless they are describing or displaying or somehow 'talking' about deeply erratic behavior (and even then...) is at the least, to me, rude.  At the most I can see it is potentially damaging.

Considering some of the places I have lived, having to have the radio up to cover over the gunshots as a kid and having anxiety as a kid about getting sliced up by my neighbors, his thoughts regarding stopping power and what-ifs resonate with me in a certain way.

He also makes several of, what I feel (with my admittedly poor knowledge of guns and lack of gun expertise noted here) valid points.

Regardless, the 'voice' of the poster above came off to me as flip and condescending.

by Sarenth on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 01:11:35 AM PST

•  I am really happy (10+ / 0-)

that you don't live anywhere near me. That paranoid and that armed is something I do not want to be around.

•  Or is it something else? Maybe a confidence (0+ / 0-)

problem if you know what I mean...

•  You're not a dictator. Quit pretending that your (0+ / 0-)

opinion is binding.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 05:40:57 PM PST

•  Or just as likely a magic fairy will give a wish (0+ / 0-)

and you will be magically transported to a special planet where you can indulge your Rambo fantasis well away from us. Why don't you gun owners all get together. You can have your own country and do all the shootin and hoolerin ya all wanna do. Yee Haw. And leave the rest of us to live productive peaceful lives. Pick a side of the country and do what ever you damn well want to do. But leave us out. I wish to be free of your 2nd amendment rights. Go blow yourselves up if you like. But leave the kids out of it.

•  I do lead... (1+ / 0-)
        KVoimakas

a productive and peaceful life. I just choose to carry a weapon for my own protection, because not everyone chooses to be peaceful.

Those of us who carry weapons, legally, for protection are not the enemy, and you really need to understand that.

•  Or a 747 could fly into your home while (0+ / 0-)

you were sleeping.  Jeesh !

We the People have to make a difference and the Change.....Just do it ! Be part of helping us build a veteran community online. United Veterans of America

by Vetwife on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 04:50:06 AM PST