View Diary: Beauty Lost: George Steck’s Glen Canyon Vintage Movie (25 comments)

•  About those shoes . . . (0+ / 0-)

just curious . . .

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 08:43:50 AM PST

•  Deward. . . (2+ / 0-)
      Deward Hastings, PHScott

you, so far, are the only astute person to notice the singular foot ware George preferred hiking in. I have heard different stories about this, including what George once told me, and I think it comes down to his left foot was more comfortably matched with a sneaker compared to a boot. I am going to write or call Tom Myers, the rather famous ER doc at the Grand Canyon (for a couple or more decades), also a fellow Grand Canyon Field Institute instructor. He and George were very close friends and they hiked a lot of terrain together. Not me, so much. When I find out from Tom what the real (true) story is I'll let know. Anyway, hope you enjoyed the movie; it's truly a world premier and an historical and valuable record to boot.

Treat the world (yourself, and others) as part of a living organism. Everyone and everything will benefit.

by richholtzin on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 08:56:44 AM PST

•  I have a bunion (0+ / 0-)

on my right foot, and have considered it.  Mostly resolved with a (modified) boot stretcher (and VFF wherever terrain permits . . . I love 'em).

Whatever it takes to keep walking . . .

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 09:09:39 AM PST

•  a boot stretcher, is it? (0+ / 0-)

well, whatever works, huh? I am very fortunate that I never had any foot problems, and I may have racked some 8K of backpacking mileage in my time. The only thing I ruined were my knees, the so-called "holy kneecaps" in Yoga terms. I'm afraid my backpacking and trail tramping days are mostly over. I think. Anyway, thanks for reporting this and I think your advice may work for others who read these commentators. I take it you are indeed a lover of hiking and backpacking. I sure am. Or was.

by richholtzin on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 09:17:30 AM PST

•  I always wear Teva sandals hiking (0+ / 0-)

in the Wind River range of Wyoming. They work great for me and I sometimes see the NOLS kids doing the same.

There are two types of republicans, the rich and the stupid. The rich ones strive to keep the stupid ones stupid and the stupid ones strive to keep the rich ones rich.

by frankzappatista on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 12:25:14 PM PST

•  I've got a couple pair (1+ / 0-)
            frankzappatista

of Dunham sandals that I often wear (with socks) on "developed" trails (and Tevas for in the water).  But in many places they pick up too much debris, and they don't give the stability and protection of either a boot or VFFs.  Still, they were my primary "alternate footwear" until the VFFs came along.  I've been known to go out with sandals on and Treks in the rucksack.

I've become a serious fan of the Trek (and Trek Sport if it's wet) . . . close to the earth "barefoot" walking has its advantages.  Cold in the winter, though.

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 12:55:31 PM PST

•  I use the old school Tevas without the (1+ / 0-)
              Deward Hastings

sidewalls, they work fine for debris. I tried Keens and they didn't work nearly as well, they keep all the sand and stuff in. Tevas do pick up a lot of fine grit though, definitely hell on socks. But I like not having to change at water crossings. The tradeoff is either get your boots wet or pack the extra weight of sandals. But Tevas are a real pain if you spend a lot of time off trail back in timber; much rather have real boots for that.

by frankzappatista on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 05:24:38 PM PST

•  Ps. (0+ / 0-)

Looks a lot like my old (but still in use!) Trailwise pack frame . . .

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 09:02:44 AM PST

•  Actually. . . (1+ / 0-)
        Deward Hastings

I remember hiking with George when he, like myself, both had North Face "Back Magic" backpacks. I'm sure he, also like me, had other frames, but I don't think he wore, as I did, an internal frame (which, when mountaineering, or for excessive long canyon hikes, works better for me because I can carry more gear). Anyway, I have long since donated all that stuff to Good Will or similar. I know I could have sold it on eBay or some such, but I prefer giving back something, especially when I have made such a great and grand living and income as an educator-guide type. Oh, there's not too much money in this line of work, but I got to meet some of the greatest people in the world, and all of whom had a common bond of loving the outdoors. What's not to love about that?

by richholtzin on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 09:20:46 AM PST