View Diary: Abbreviated pundit roundup: NRA throws a tantrum, as always, while Biden pushes tough agenda (141 comments)

•  Could I do this? (2+ / 0-)
    Heart of the Rockies, bear83

Taft High School Shooting: Conversation Between Gunman, Teacher Allowed Other Students To Escape

Ever since the Sandy Hook shooting, I've found myself glancing at the doors leading to the main corridor of the elementary school where I supervise lunch and wonder what is my move if some intruder decides to replicate that disaster at my school. Will I charge the shooter? Will I try to  shield the closest students? Will I attempt to run for my own life?

I hope I never find out. But Taft HS teacher Ryan Heber gives me a behavior to aspire to.

When you are right you cannot be too radical; when you are wrong, you cannot be too conservative. --Martin Luther King Jr.

by Egalitare on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 05:29:12 AM PST

•  Lots of folks here will romanticize this (2+ / 0-)
      DRo, bear83

and overlook the sheer luck of the draw, so to speak.

She just as easily could be among the departed.

But its a feel good story and people like those.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

by xxdr zombiexx on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 05:31:19 AM PST

•  If you want to have a school under heavy security. (1+ / 0-)
        xxdr zombiexx

....it seems like metal detectors and lock-down doors and maybe monitored security cameras would be a better solution than armed guards.

"Michael Moore, who was filming a movie about corporate welfare called 'Capitalism: A Love Story,' sought and received incentives."

by Bush Bites on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 05:52:58 AM PST

•  It is my understanding that Lanza shot his way (1+ / 0-)
          Heart of the Rockies

into the school, that they had what was considered standard acceptable security.

As always - I could be wrong but thats what I seem to remember reading.

When people are in a car wreck, for months afterwards they rifle through the incident "why didn't I do this?" If only I had done that" Why weren't his lights on?".

People want control over things there likely is little control over other than to try and be as safety conscious as possible.

by xxdr zombiexx on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 05:56:59 AM PST

•  Oh sure. (1+ / 0-)
            xxdr zombiexx

I'm just saying there are better security methods than armed guards, if you're going to have security methods.

You could have had heavy steel doors locked to people on the outside, for one.

by Bush Bites on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 05:59:43 AM PST

•  The logistics of that are still difficult (2+ / 0-)
              Egalitare, a gilas girl

to deal with. Students come to school late. Parents come to pick them up early for appointments. Parents come to volunteer or for lunch or parties. Kids leave the building for recess and to go to classroom trailers.

Locking down schools sounds simple, but implementing it would be a nightmare.

Filibuster reform now. No more Gentleman's agreements.

by bear83 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 07:10:11 AM PST

•  Schools in gang areas.... (1+ / 0-)
            xxdr zombiexx

....deal with this stuff all the time.

You have to do a risk assessment and I'm sure sandy hook's risk assessment would have said "not worth the extra expense for the 1 in 100 million change of some gun-loving rich lady's kid going nuts" but, if you are going to go nuts with security, armed guards aren't the best way to go.

by Bush Bites on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 06:02:47 AM PST

•  Yes they do. (0+ / 0-)

I had a meeting at an Elementary school several years ago in a harsh area down here - got out of my car to find an unspent 12 gauge shell laying right in the parking lot.

I picked it up and took it in and early in the meeting I put it right out on the table, standing up.

the moon-eyes were great.

Very violent area I worked in.....

by xxdr zombiexx on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 06:19:21 AM PST

•  This: (0+ / 0-)
      This is good!

This is 'security thinking' and more people need to be good at this.

I live in Atlanta and have for almost 25 years. It's a big crime-filled city and I have almost zero experiences with being a crime victim, mostly, I think, because I am wary of others.

I strongly encourage people to study martial arts - thai boxing, Small Circle Jiujistu/BJJ - something.

if you are going to "charge the shooter" you might want to have a working idea of what you intend to do once you manage to do so.

When the shit hits the fan you will rise to the occasion.

And then freak out later when you have the time to do it right.

(That's how I do it).

• Rescued (18)
  • Labor (16)
  • Media (15)
  • Elections (15)
  • Marriage Equality (15)
  • Education (14)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (14)
  • Economy (14)
  • Josh Duggar (13)
  • Ireland (13)
  • Republicans (13)
  • Health Care (11)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site