View Diary: House GOP still looking for ways to screw Hurricane Sandy victims (and Peter King) on disaster aid (100 comments)

•  I'd like to hope this will wake some locals up (10+ / 0-)

I know lots of Republicans from the tristate area, most of the sane ones are almost "former" but there's a fair amount of tea baggery and Obama-derangement syndrome. I'd really like to think that this nonsense is damaging their brand and that it'll translate down the road to an electoral shift but I fear the cultural and ... cough ... racial biases are too ingrained. More and more of them are disgusted with the Republican Party as well but it's usually framed as teabaggerisms which means a lot of FREEDOMZ and 1776 and "founding fathers" most of which I translate as "don't tax me and give the money to the slacking urbanites from rap videos". We need someway to awaken some class consciousness (don't call it that) except Reagan -> Fox et. al. have institutionalized "I could hire one half of the working class to kill the other"

If you didn't like the news today, go out and make some of your own.

by jgnyc on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 07:05:17 AM PST

•  Well, it would seem simple enough, if we would (8+ / 0-)

just keep it simple.  Hurricane relief comes from taxes.  Taxes provide hurricane relief.  Don't wanna pay taxes?  Well, then you get game playing on hurricane relief.  No likey?  Then grow up!

•  multiple cultural and structural problems (5+ / 0-)
        Fury, dufffbeer, RichM, hnichols, sethtriggs

They've been convinced the welfare state is corrupt and unsustainable. The problem is the welfare state is hideously inefficient in many places (from personal experience) and the over funded right has done an excellent generational job of selling cartoon libertarianism while bashing and exaggerating the corruption and inefficiencies. In this particular case I've had "working class" - and I shy away from those old loaded phrases - Republicans chiming in that the original stimulus bill, which would have directly helped them and their neighbors, was "more than half needless pork". That percentage was made up on the spot by some right wing propagandist somewhere and even a line by line analysis of the original bill would not cut through the confirmation bias bred in since Reagan (needless to say I did not do a line by line analysis).

To sum up: They've been sold on the idea that taxes for anything but weapons systems are a waste and "not what the founding fathers intended".

The only long term solution is to make our collectivist institutions much better through reform and civic responsibility. The short term plan is to make sure 2014 turnout is at least as favorable as 2012. And that's going to be really hard.

If you didn't like the news today, go out and make some of your own.

by jgnyc on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 07:55:32 AM PST

•  Let us pray that the 2014 turnout doesn't consist (4+ / 0-)
          stagemom, hnichols, Pakalolo, K S LaVida

of assault weapon-carrying gun nuts, who will actually show up at the polls with their AK47s.  We're in for an ugly two years.  And we thought the TeaPeople were bad.  We ain't seen nuthin yet I fear.

•  1994 they showed up unarmed (3+ / 0-)
            Fury, Aquarius40, hnichols

and it was bad enough.

I'm not (that) worried about gun nuts using their guns - it's more random unhinged kids that are scary - because they're all weekend warriors and would get chewed up in a really scary society (the should all vacation in Mexico). I am worried about them voting consistently, which they do. The right maxed out their voting bloc with Obama derangement syndrome in 2010 and it was ugly.

We have to match the intensity of 2012 in 2014. That's a high mountain to climb.

If you didn't like the news today, go out and make some of your own.

by jgnyc on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 08:23:39 AM PST

•  Too late for that solution (3+ / 0-)
          Aquarius40, hnichols, sethtriggs
          No matter how good they are made, those who've been propagandized will never admit those institutions work.

"What could BPossibly go wrong??" -RLMiller "God is just pretend." - eru

by nosleep4u on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 08:35:38 AM PST

•  I did say long term (0+ / 0-)

short term you're right. Long term I'm not so sure. I've watched some Reagan Democrats start drifting back, first Iraq and then a general distrust of teabag extremism.

The point is not to say "the old somewhat corrupt labor unions were better than what's going on now" (they were IMHO) but to say "we need a whole new deal for the 21st century". Here's how it will work. Better, smarter and fairer than the bankers you've been enabling electorally since Reagan.

Some news org sent some reporters traveling around the south before the election and there was one ... uh ... white trash (I self describe as such so I'll use it) was saying "Obama's a Muslim but I can't vote for the rich guy. He'll just screw us some more"

They also distrust the Democratic Party but so do I. They think the bailout was a big give away but so do I. Some think Obama's going to send the UN to take their guns and I think that would be pretty funny.

If we can show them how to adjust the welfare state from the ground up and make it much better (and I have first hand views of some of the bad parts regularly) maybe we can approach the grass roots right with something not so culture war oriented.

For instance - locally we all don't like Mayor Mike and anyone he anoints is going to, hopefully, have a problem all over the political spectrum. De Blasio? Don't know. But the revolution begins at home.

If you didn't like the news today, go out and make some of your own.

by jgnyc on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 09:14:22 AM PST

•  ^^^^This (4+ / 0-)

plus the ironic fact that a disproportionate number of the hardest-hit areas have Republican representation.

by sidnora on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 07:49:26 AM PST