View Diary: Real Men Don’t Rape (73 comments)

•  Real men DO rape. (8+ / 0-)

That's the sad reality.  Read what the German Army did in Russia, or the Russian Army did in Germany in return. Or the Japanese did in China and Korea, or the Americans did in . . . oh, wait, we're not supposed to talk about that.

It happens pretty much wherever it is permitted, and especially in any society where "the warrior" is glorified and "manliness" is defined, at least in part, by the "conquest" of women, and the domination of women.  Like ours.  Where we have whole religious denominations that contend, with support from men and women alike, that that's how it's supposed to be.  "God's will", and all that.  Men rule, women obey.

You don't like it, I dont like it . . . but there's no point in denying it.

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 02:42:38 PM PST

•  Far more complex (22+ / 0-)

I think what the author is getting at - and does with a good point, is that once you commit a heinous act such as rape, you really aren't the kind of man society embraces.   Real Men, therefore are definitionally not.

You're right.  In times of war, and many other times, men historically raping (and longer ago, pillaging and burning) are a big part of history.

And, while no one wants to discuss it, about 1,000 years ago and more it was so much a cultural part of life that without the raping/pillaging/burning we probably wouldn't have the society we do now because it caused cross-promotion of genetic material.

But those days are long past.. and now we live in an era of self-determination that should prevent such acts.

My one countermand on this though is that we always focus on men who rape, and men do commit of course the vast majority of rapes in America.   But if you don't think men can be raped - both in homosexual rapes and hetrosexual rapes/molestations, you're wrong.

What unifies all these rapes, though, is that one person suffers while someone else gives away part of their humanity.

Gandhi's Seven Sins: Wealth without work; Pleasure without conscience; Knowledge without character; Commerce without morality; Science without humanity; Worship without sacrifice; Politics without principle

by Chris Reeves on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 02:49:45 PM PST

•  I concentrated on women-- (21+ / 0-)

but I agree, that men are raped, usually by other men.  And there is also rape of women by other women. Children are raped by both genders.  I chose to concentrate on women because the athletes that get the glory tend to be male.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 03:16:50 PM PST

•  If society excluded men who raped (1+ / 0-)
        irishwitch

then we wouldn't have the problem with rape that we do.  Society pretends that it condemns rape, really it assumes that women don't have agency or rights after a certain age.

The revolution will not be televised. But it will be blogged, a lot. Probably more so than is necessary.

by AoT on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 05:45:57 PM PST

•  THE best made-for-TV movie on male rape (2+ / 0-)
        tmservo433, irishwitch

... was entitled The Rape of Richard Beck and broadcast in 1985.  Richard Crenna was the lead actor who played the role of Richard Beck, and Crenna won an Emmy for "Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or a Special."  [He deserved that Emmy, IMHO.  He played the role well.]

Richard Beck (Richard Crenna) is a police detective who believed that rape victims are to blame for the crime. He is later raped by two of the suspects he had been chasing. Ultimately, he changes his beliefs about rape victims.

This made for TV movie was groundbreaking in that it portrayed the rape of a man by two other men, and because of this it has become a cult classic.

The movie was broadcast just once and never repeated (as far as I know - or, if it was, I didn't see any ads for it).

I don't know how it can be considered a "cult classic" since no one ever discusses it, and no one else I know in my age range seems to know it was ever on TV.

I was extremely surprised it was shown on TV.  While it's now quite routine to see rape of women and even little girls portrayed on TV, male rape is not dealt with at all (except in terms of a female teacher going after a teenage male student who's only a year or two shy of being a legal adult, or who looks older than his years).

by NonnyO on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 09:19:09 PM PST

•  Damn that's good memory (2+ / 0-)
          NonnyO, irishwitch

That's an amazing memory/find

by Chris Reeves on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 07:12:17 AM PST

•  Thanks... (2+ / 0-)
            irishwitch, Ginny in CO

I have a head for trivia and odd details....  It comes with the territory when one reads a lot and/or needs to keep several simultaneous pieces of trivia in one's head while searching documents some 50-350+ years old, dates when calendars changed, old penmanship, Gothic letters, which language one is working with during genealogy research... or answers a bazillion questions a day about various topics.  If I don't know the answer, then I try to find out, so I have a network of people around the world to consult who may have answers - or they may know someone else who has answers.

Et cetera and so on and so forth.  I'll be 67 next month, so I'm a walking history book sometimes.... except on topics about which I know absolutely nothing and sit there like a bump on a long staring into space.... ;-)

It's kinda fun.  :-)