View Diary: Stingray Cafe proprietor serves lesbian couple poison pen letter for dessert in North Carolina (558 comments)

•  Why it isn't really such light stuff (14+ / 0-)
    seems like a man trying to butt into someone else's business
    Is it isn't that unusual.

But most LGBT people encounter this crap a lot.

It's just that this time, we have physical evidence, in the form of the printed letter.

And you know, most of us would just be happy to patronize your restaurant, have a nice meal, and go home in peace. Is that so much to ask? Is that such a radical agenda?

"The marriage fight is over when we say it's over, and it's over when we win."
    —Dan Savage

by Scott Wooledge on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 07:19:59 PM PST

•  Scale (0+ / 0-)

Sure, I know: all differently gendered and non-heteronormative individuals hear from the wider group in pressures by implicit and explicit. Further, gender policing is usually done by members of the same sex, and it is vicious, including violence.

However, given the fact that this is a slow social tide, and we are winning, in that each younger generation is accepting more and more as a definition of normal (and therefore normative), we have to ask what incidents rise to the level of the political.

For me, denial of service is a violation of the law, threats of violence or real violence are violations of the law, feigned unavailability of services ("Oh, there aren't any houses in your price range [black people]") are legal violations. Any organized prejudice or discrimination or exclusion is political.

A person is best answered personally. A group politically.

People complain about dirt, but I'd like to see them make some.

by The Geogre on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 05:21:40 AM PST

•  Well, I encourage you (5+ / 0-)

to go find something more important to do with your time, and not be a busy body about what other users here feel like engaging in and what their priorities should be.

And no, denying lesbians service is not a violation of law. It's perfectly legal to tell customers in NC that you won't serve queers.

"The marriage fight is over when we say it's over, and it's over when we win."
        —Dan Savage

by Scott Wooledge on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 08:50:25 AM PST

•  Heh (2+ / 0-)
          Scott Wooledge, raincrow

I guess Georgie here would argue that LGBT discrimination isn't hateful where it's legal.

Ridiculous.

•  You should calm down (1+ / 0-)
          Alexandre

You are so uptight with any diagreement on scale that you're cursing readers.

Think about that.

You want to make an enemy of allies because they disagree with you? Denial of service would warrant full scale activism in my opinion, as I said. The civil rights act extended to hospitality, and they have always fought against that. For example, it is now illegal to deny Black persons accommodations, and I had thought that sexual orientation had been included by interpretation if not statute.

If anyone denies access, they deserve public action.

You can be very, very angry and accuse me of imaginary crimes if you'd like, but I still do not think that a wounded man making a stupid and hurtful move as an individual needs or deserves a call to arms. You do. You would have that level of offense met with this level of response, if not greater.

I have not once told you why I think there are bad consequences to this sort of thing, and I have not attacked the writing of the diary.

Proceed, though: Let's have 3 to 4 responses to this, each making further personal deprecations and telling me where to go and what to do. Or, perhaps, you can recognize that you are not doing yourself a service by it.

People complain about dirt, but I'd like to see them make some.

by The Geogre on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 12:10:07 PM PST

•  I cursed readers? (3+ / 0-)
            FogCityJohn, raincrow, librarisingnsf

Where? It seems you're too uptight to read properly. I did no such thing.

There's a lot of projection in there, I didn't accuse you of any crimes, imaginary or real.

Nope. It's not in the text, and no court has interpreted it that way. At least not any binding precedential decisions.

"The marriage fight is over when we say it's over, and it's over when we win."
            —Dan Savage

by Scott Wooledge on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 12:29:39 PM PST

•  And for what it's worth... (6+ / 0-)

this diary's presence served an educational purpose of correcting your own misinformed belief that LGBT people enjoy universal legal protection from denial of service.

They don't.

So, this diary on the rec list has educated you. You're welcome.

"The marriage fight is over when we say it's over, and it's over when we win."
        —Dan Savage