View Diary: Open thread for night owls: Excerpts from the Harper's Index (119 comments)

•  $2 for a 1 pound bag? (4+ / 0-)
    JeffW, divineorder, jlms qkw, randallt

I found a price of $1.11 per pound bag or $17 for 20 lbs or something like that, but shipping is crazy - like a dollar a pound, easily 30 dollars to a $20 order. Sounds like it's just as well to go buy at the store.

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 08:55:34 PM PST

•  I will admit that she was not really clear... (3+ / 0-)
      eXtina, jlms qkw, randallt

...on the exact amount, as she buys them when she needs them. We shop at Jewel here in Chicago, and they may have the price on their website.

If you have a long distance to travel, and have the space to store 20 lbs., it might be cheaper. I'd be surprised if they couldn't ship the 1 lb. bag via Priority Mail flat rate, which might seem excessive, but may be cheaper than driving a long distance to a supermarket.

Float like a manhole cover, sting like a sash weight! Clean Coal Is A Clinker!

by JeffW on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 09:02:58 PM PST

•  Mmm, strike that! (3+ / 0-)
      eXtina, jlms qkw, randallt

I just checked their site, and it doesn't show prices. Sorry.

Float like a manhole cover, sting like a sash weight! Clean Coal Is A Clinker!

by JeffW on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 09:17:17 PM PST

•  yeah, I looked, ;-) (3+ / 0-)
        JeffW, jlms qkw, randallt

it's amazing but grocery stores don't post their prices online if the product's getting sold in the store - I guess the price is so variable.

Sounds like any saving I'd get by buying in bulk would be undone by grotesque shipping charges, might as well just do a trip to the store. not so much travel as thinking I could save by buying in bulk.

thanks for the help!

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 09:24:32 PM PST

•  Some stores may have bulk food sections... (4+ / 0-)
          jlms qkw, LinSea, randallt, eXtina

...so make a note of the pre-shipping cost for your online source, and see if you can do better in the bulk-foods aisle.

Float like a manhole cover, sting like a sash weight! Clean Coal Is A Clinker!

by JeffW on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 09:28:42 PM PST

•  don't presume that if you are talking FOB (3+ / 0-)
          JeffW, randallt, eXtina

price for dried peas or beans in 100lb bags, which is how I used to purchase them.

•  can you explain that? (0+ / 0-)

i'm not familiar with those terms - I've never done this before

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 07:48:01 AM PST

•  free on board i.e. bulk vendors will ship (1+ / 0-)
              eXtina

you 50lbs-200lbs of beans or whatever where you pay them for the product and then you pay the freight etc
              "FOB stands for Free On Board - which means that the person sending it has paid all costs up to and including loading it onto a ship. The purchaser then has to pay all further costs - shipping, import taxes, unloading and delivery charges from the port to the ultimate destination."