View Diary: RIP, Aaron Swartz, Reddit Founder, Suicide (48 comments)

•  Repeated request that should be a rule. (6+ / 0-)
    Gemina13, Lujane, Debby, pimutant, BachFan, DvCM

Please indicate what you are linking to. It may be a site some will not go to - for ideological, technical or fiscal reasons.

It may be an article they have already read.

I won't link to a suggestion like this for a variety of those reasons. Not being able to make my own judgement on the value of the link is first. And I am pretty open minded about considering ideas from loose cannons - sometimes they are worth knowing, especially when you don't agree.

If you don't like the idea that someone would assume your link is not a reputable writer or site, one of the reasons I stopped linking to them is it seems to be a common tactic of those who like to spread poorly supported ideas and outright lies. When I know and respect the Kossack linking, I have linked. The other day it took me to a post I had read shortly before.

by Ginny in CO on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 08:44:07 PM PST

•  Certainly this Daily Kos diary I linked may (1+ / 0-)
      Ginny in CO

have been read before but the headline on the present diary referenced the person who died but did not give the background or other pertinent information about him or the case.  The present diary is more about the tragedy of suicide in general but I thought that people opening up the diary because of who it referenced might be interested in a much earlier one that was really about that person and all the circumstances. Your other suggestions are certainly valid.

I'd tip you but they cut off my tip box. The TSA would put Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad on the no-fly list.

by OHdog on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 11:31:47 AM PST

•  No problem with the general idea, (0+ / 0-)

which I understood and appreciate. I've linked many times to other diaries that are good.

Joan pointed out using the mouse over feature in her comment below, which is great if you don't have some of the problems I explained in that response. I have trained myself to move my hands off the mouse as soon as I stop using it to return to a normal anatomical position, and it keeps the flare ups to a dull roar.

by Ginny in CO on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 06:58:11 PM PST

•  Mouseover the link (1+ / 0-)
      Ginny in CO

(in this case the word "see") and look at the bottom of your browser window and you will see the destination URL, the web site name.  You'll see that it is a dailykos diary.

Embedded links like the one the commenter used are standard fare on the internet.  You can see exactly where it is going by learning how to use your browser's status bar.   I understand your caution but his link is not hidden or covert in any way. There are other kinds of links, shortened links, that hide the real destination but this is not one of them. The shortenend are generally not sinister. People use them to reduce the number of characters in a Twitter message or SMS message where you only have 140 characters to work with.  But those are the ones you have to exercise caution with.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 12:52:22 PM PST

•  The mouse over feature on my (1+ / 0-)
        joanneleon

computer is very difficult for me to read: it is soft grey background with the letters in a slightly darker gray. The strip to read it sometimes ends up below the screen.  I've had the new system for a year, off internet for the last 3.5 months and just got back on with too much I want to catch up on.  Forgot to even check the mouse over.

I  always put the info in the label section - takes seconds to type or cut and paste. Saves the reader time and mousing - which I have to avoid as much as possible to keep from triggering  muskulo-skeletal pain.

by Ginny in CO on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 06:52:24 PM PST

•  Ah (0+ / 0-)

well I can definitely relate to that. It is really hard to see the URL in the browser status bar.  Sometimes I have to lean in and squint at it too and during the times when my eyes are strained and vision is blurry it's almost impossible to read it.  So I do sympathize.  Take care.

"Justice is a commodity"