View Diary: What Aaron Swartz did at MIT (53 comments)

•  Try again. I called for respect, not a pass. (0+ / 0-)

What I cited was "disproportionate threats" on the part of the state. I never proposed he get a pass, just a proportionate penalty - something less than double his current lifespan. Please nod if you understand.

And everyone has issues. Including those who think they don't, duh.

"I was a big supporter of waterboarding" - Dick Cheney 2/14/10

by Bob Love on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 07:55:42 PM PST

•  Swartz was offered a plea deal of six months ... (0+ / 0-)

(or "slightly less") two days before his death.  To kill himself over the thought of serving only six months, given that he actually committed the crimes, wasn't rational.

Nod if you understand.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein

by Neuroptimalian on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 08:43:48 PM PST

•  Citation, please. nt (1+ / 0-)
        Agathena

"I was a big supporter of waterboarding" - Dick Cheney 2/14/10

by Bob Love on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 08:50:09 PM PST

•  His lawyer is unaware of such an offer. (0+ / 0-)

What is your source?

"I was a big supporter of waterboarding" - Dick Cheney 2/14/10

by Bob Love on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 10:08:56 AM PST

•  Since Swartz' own lawyer was the source, ... (0+ / 0-)

according to the AP, I find that VERY hard to believe.

by Neuroptimalian on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 10:37:50 AM PST

•  Since the AP link has been pulled, ... (1+ / 0-)
            Bob Love

perhaps because the lawyer threatened them in trying to protect any rights the family might have to sue and thus earn the lawyer a fee, let's go with this one:

Boston.com:

HEADLINE:  MIT hacking case lawyer says Aaron Swartz was offered plea deal of six months behind bars

During plea talks held in the months before his death, federal prosecutors told Aaron Swartz and his attorney that the computer prodigy must spend six months behind bars and plead guilty to 13 federal crimes in order to resolve the criminal case short of a trial.

Swartz’s lead defense attorney, Elliot Peters, said today that both he and Swartz rejected the plea deal offered by the office of US Attorney Carmen Ortiz, and instead were pushing for a trial where federal prosecutors would have been forced to publicly justify their pursuit of Swartz.

Or how about the Boston Globe:
            In the most recent plea negotiations, Swartz’s lawyer said Monday, the office of US Attorney Carmen Ortiz remained insistent on prison time of four to six months, far less than the 35 years and $1 million fine allowed under federal law but more than Swartz was willing to accept.
            And from the Wall Street Journal:
            The government indicated it might only seek seven years at trial, and was willing to bargain that down to six to eight months in exchange for a guilty plea, a person familiar with the matter said. But Mr. Swartz didn't want to do jail time.

"I think Aaron was frightened and bewildered that they'd taken this incredibly hard line against him," said Mr. Peters, his lawyer. "He didn't want to go to jail. He didn't want to be a felon."

Clearly Swartz' lawyer is lying if he is claiming ignorance about this plea offer.

by Neuroptimalian on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 11:04:45 AM PST

•  I was relying on Lessig, who I now see (0+ / 0-)

was forced to step down as his lawyer some while ago.

But from your WSJ article: "Prosecutors disagreed and threatened to put him in prison for more than three decades.

Mr. Swartz's lawyer, Elliot Peters, first discussed a possible plea bargain with Assistant U.S. Attorney Stephen Heymann last fall. In an interview Sunday, he said he was told at the time that Mr. Swartz would need to plead guilty to every count, and the government would insist on prison time.

Mr. Peters said he spoke to Mr. Heymann again last Wednesday in another attempt to find a compromise. The prosecutor, he said, didn't budge."

Demanding a guilty plea to every count is not, as you call it, "a plea offer", it's an ultimatum, one which the prosecution refused to budge on.

I do appreciate your coming up with a citation, though, and your decision to steer clear of the imaginary bullshit of your first few posts. There may be hope for you. Work on honesty.

"I was a big supporter of waterboarding" - Dick Cheney 2/14/10

by Bob Love on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 03:00:51 PM PST

•  "There may be hope for [me]"? (0+ / 0-)

Lovely.  How generous of you.

Your high horse had a severely-broken leg, you just didn't know it ... and now refuse to acknowledge it.  So be it, the facts are there for all to see.

Swartz thought he was smart enough to get away with committing major crimes, crimes which carried the same sentence no matter who perpetrated them; he was wrong and could not deal with the consequences.   Had it been anyone else, he would have been called cowardly.

by Neuroptimalian on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 03:26:18 PM PST

•  "Crimes which carried the same sentence (0+ / 0-)

no matter who perpetrated them"?

Anywhere between 4 months and 35 years for the same crime by the same person?  Do you ever reread your posts for sense?  Ever?

"I was a big supporter of waterboarding" - Dick Cheney 2/14/10

by Bob Love on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 03:32:22 PM PST

•  I take it you don't know ... (1+ / 0-)
                    Lasgalen Lothir

what sentencing guidelines are, either.  Of course an arrestee faces the maximum; seldom do they receive it, it just depends upon the particulars of their crime.  Swartz, however, apparently thought he should suffer no consequences whatsoever.  So he sacrificed his life to avoid four-to-six months in jail?  That hardly seems like a sane, logical trade-off, but it was his assessment to make.

by Neuroptimalian on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 05:35:04 PM PST

•  So you answer is "no". (0+ / 0-)

I guess I need to point out, too, that there's a distinction between between a sentence and sentencing guidelines. This may simply be more sloppy writing, but your propensity for it leaves you time and again saying things you don't actually mean.

The conceptual deficit is far worse.. "Swartz, however, apparently thought ..."  Come on, you're not capable of imagining what he thought, let alone thinking it.

Your initial misrepresentations of my words are just the usual, expectable bilge one expects from self-styled experts with an axe to grind, but your attempt to delve into Swartz's mind, one well beyond you, would be laughable if the whole story, and your fumbling of it, wasn't so sad.

But my words are probably too clear for you to translate into your private neurogarble. Goodbye.

"I was a big supporter of waterboarding" - Dick Cheney 2/14/10

by Bob Love on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 06:29:27 PM PST

•  Unless Swartz' confirmed IQ, ... (1+ / 0-)
                        Lasgalen Lothir

one tested and retested by actual experts, not estimated by you or any silly Internet quizzes, exceeds 172, his mental ability is hardly "beyond" me.  Still, I will assume for the sake of argument that he had a high IQ.

That said, your continuing silly assumptions confirm your inability to grasp depth and complexity, however, so good-bye to you as well.

by Neuroptimalian on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 08:31:17 PM PST

•  You (0+ / 0-)

put words in my mouth and thoughts in his head and you consider IQ to measure intelligence.  That makes you a dolt 3 times over.

"I was a big supporter of waterboarding" - Dick Cheney 2/14/10