View Diary: a narcissism of small differences (121 comments)

•  The "small" point is misapplied here: (4+ / 0-)
    Cedwyn, MKinTN, Quicklund, SilentBrook

if you read the exchange between Billmon and myself, it has nothing to do whether the president is engaged in good policy. It has entirely to do with why we must attack each other and the president in the worst ways possible.

It was about psychology, not about whether a small amount of money means a lot to poor people. I would not categorize the difference in minimum wage KO cites to be "small" in the first place.

It even has the possibility of being a good misapplication, but doesn't quite succeed as a rhetorical tool the way it is written.

"Every now & then your brain gifts you with the thought, 'oh, that's right, I don't actually give a **** about this.' Treasure it" -- jbou

by kenlac on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 06:00:06 AM PST

•  Exactly! (1+ / 0-)
      SilentBrook

Reading Comprehension Bunny is made very sad by this diary. It strikes me as entirely possible to write one's own diary in one's own words without having to misrepresent another person.

•  If you read the original "7.25" diary, which (1+ / 0-)
      mrkvica

billmon's post at the top of the thread beteween you and him was replying to, you will see that he was using a quote from JFK that says

"Sometimes partisan loyalty asks too much."
      Billmon this opines:
      this isn't one of those times.
      You responded to him in that thread by saying
      Can we have loyalty without complete fidelity? Why is it so hard for some of us to disagree without rancor and scorched earth rhetoric?
      So first question for you: where is the scorched earth rhetoric you are referring to in that "7.25" diary?

Furthermore, just above that thread (two posts up), you talk about how change is handicapped by political reality and that

Change happens slowly, incrementally. Political reality in the US moves in inches, not miles.

In a way we should be thankful, because if it moved a mile it would mean we'd probably be in the middle of violent upheaval. Which, I fear, some people here fantasize being a good thing.

So there we have it! Asking for a very modest rise in the minumum wage (not even to bring it back to what it was in 1969 dollars, actually) is "scorched earth rhetoric" and  will lead to "violent upheaval" that is the fantasy of some of us here!  And "we should be thankful" that the current minimum wage is where it is, according to you (if context means anything).

Your comments in those two threads along with billmon's denigrating "narcissism" comment to cap it all off (narcissism is a mental illness on a par with borderline personality and it's what the Greeks called "hubris", the proximate cause of the Iraq invasion, for crissake) demonstrates exactly what ko was getting at, three sentences into that diary:

Second, I'd like to point out that disagreeing with someone or something, is not the same as "hating" someone or something.  That should be obvious.  But apparently, it's not. Both sides of any dispute are tempted to engage in this kind of talk, and it's foolish.
      I'm with ko on this one.  Calling for  modest change that is so vital to so many vulnerable people instead of asking them to suck it up even further is the very minimum we Dems should be doing now - not the first thing that gets tossed out the window in budget negotiations with the John Birch Society (now known as "the GOP"), as well as cause for dissing fellow liberals.

"Well, yeah, the Constitution is worth it if you succeed." - Nancy Pelosi // Question: "succeed" at what?

by nailbender on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 09:44:48 AM PST

•  One of us is guilty of a minor rhetorical (0+ / 0-)

tresspass -- either I made the mistake of making generalized observations in a diary on a specific topic, or you're making the mistake of insisting on implications and linkages not borne out by general statements.

As I said earlier on, my brief exchange will Billmon was a tangent to KO's diary. I still consider it such. Despite our seeming misunderstanding here, I continue to consider is such and I will not brook your seeming attempts to turn my comments into criticism of KO or either of his diaries. I have a lot of respect for both KO and Billmon, and I agree with the bulk of KO's points in both diaries.

As for this:

Context does indeed mean something, but it does not mean the all-inclusive thing you seem to think it does here.

Since you seem to enjoy research skills, perhaps you could unearth my comment where I make similar observations in an earlier KO diary but also take care to state that I am not accusing KO of such.

by kenlac on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 10:43:02 AM PST

•  And as to this diary not succeeding rhetorically (0+ / 0-)

(as your final sentence states), all I can say is take a look at the list of those who've rec'd it, and not just its size but the fact that some of the most respected voices on the site are in that list.   That's not the hallmark of a rhetorical flop.

by nailbender on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 09:59:23 AM PST

•  Ahh... (0+ / 0-)

dick measuring. Such a fun hobby.

Of course, I did not intend to claim the diary failed. I merely wished to not the rhetorical hook he hung it on wasn't what he made it appear.

I have a lot of respect for KO, and I frequently think he's one of the only valuable things that remain here at DKos. So perhaps the vigor or your rejoinders is more wisely spent elsewhere.

by kenlac on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 10:48:12 AM PST

•  ^ "...wished to note...", that should read (0+ / 0-)

by kenlac on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 10:56:29 AM PST

•  dick measuring, as in making sure everyone knew (1+ / 0-)
          mrkvica

the thread being discussed in this diary's title was between you and the mojo-massive billmon ("no mere 'commenter'" !)?

And, as if to confirm all the points I've been making, you manage to lay down a very succinct narcissism diss.

Obama isn't going to change because I am disappointed.  I get that.  And I'm not going to change because you think I'm a self-absorbed hothead.  I assume you get that too.  But the biggest question out there is whether our nation can survive the current onslaught of neo-fascism without a vigorous counter-movement that doesn't play patty cakes with it but rather calls it what it is and acts accordingly.

by nailbender on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 11:20:02 AM PST

•  I have no idea whether you are a (1+ / 0-)
            nailbender

self-absorbed hothead. I also have no idea how this got so personal.

I find this ironic, in that the purpose of my initial comment was to say, "Why must we always snipe at each other", and it is now being used as an opportunity to snipe at each other.

I do know that I'm starting to feel our exchange here is not being driven by honest intent, and I don't feel continuing it any longer is in anyone's interest.

by kenlac on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 11:24:46 AM PST