View Diary: Seattle teachers refuse to give flawed standardized test (121 comments)

•  Is it ever brought up (10+ / 0-)

that maybe part of the reason American students don't perform well on these tests is because they don't give a fuck? These tests have absolutely nothing to offer for the students- college admission is determined by SAT/ACT and GPA, and graduation is just a matter of passing classes. There's enough stupid bullshit heaped on high school students, I don't blame them one bit for blowing these tests off.

Small varmints, if you will.

by aztecraingod on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 01:50:33 PM PST

•  The problem with saying that... (3+ / 0-)

...is that then the moronic state legislators, instead of dumping the waste-of-time testing, decide to require that the tests be included in students' grades so that everyone gets punished by the pointless test.

by JamesGG on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 01:54:56 PM PST

•  Maybe in other states, but in Florida (2+ / 0-)
      MPociask, Cassandra Waites

the FCAT is required for graduation. You have to take a certain type almost every year from 4th grade to 10th grade (they skipped a few years when I was in school in the 90/00's). In 10th grade you have 3 chances to pass (10th, 11th, 12th) until they tell you that you aren't able to graduate. But they will literally say 1 day
       "Ok class, it's time to stop our normal learning process because we have to do FCAT learning now" & we would stop learning our current subjects & start practicing for the FCAT, which was especially interesting in MATH when the stuff on the FCAT was ALWAYS from the year before, or stuff we haven't learned yet that we would learn in the next math class.

All thanks to the Bush brother they called "the dumb one" (Jeb)

Follow me on Twitter! @guileofthegods

by Guile Of The Gods on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 01:55:13 PM PST

•  GA's are required too. (2+ / 0-)
        MPociask, blueoasis

We didn't stop classes to cover graduation test material.

We did have questions where doing it the right way would take five times as long as realizing that no, really, they'd only let it be this one answer. So if you'd taken SAT prep, you just got incredible amounts of extra testing time from knowing the tricks they should NOT be pulling on a graduation exam.

And five-answer analogies with one right answer if you were reading at an eighth-grade level and five right answers if you were reading at the college level.

And science equations in the front of the test booklet that were incorrect, mislabeled, or both so your graduation standing was based on whether you guessed right about whether the answer key was done using their equations or the ones in the published curriculum standards... which I'm still convinced is the reason for the disparity in cut-off scores between GA Grad Science and the other multiple-choice graduation exams.

Seriously, it was theoretically easier for a sophomore taking on-level English, science, and math to pass those tests than juniors taking honors and AP courses in the same subjects. And the entire AP-taking population of my high school knew it.

Prayers and best wishes to those in Japan.

by Cassandra Waites on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 02:47:24 PM PST

•  I used to tank them on purpose. (1+ / 0-)
      Guile Of The Gods

Most of my teachers were assholes and I liked making them look bad.

I used to just stop at filling in my name.  I wouldn't even pencil in the bubbles.

Machine gun bullets became the bloody baptizers/ And the falcon 'copters don't care if someone's the wiser/ But the boy in the swamp didn't know he was killed by advisers

by JesseCW on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 02:08:36 PM PST

•  I didn't even take mine (1+ / 0-)
        JesseCW

I worked for the school paper, and we had a perma-hall pass. I would just hang out in the news room and read/goof off.

Small varmints, if you will.

by aztecraingod on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 02:15:37 PM PST

•  Christmas Treeing, we called it. (2+ / 0-)
        JesseCW, blueoasis

Kids would do it openly at math team meets.

You could letter in it in a lot, maybe all, of the schools that went to the same meets we did, but it was based on attendance and not on scores. So you'd fill in A-B-C-D-A-B-C-D going down the Scantron sheet. Or A-B-C-D-C-B-A-B-C-D and so on.

Or make actual Christmas Trees.

I never did it, but the kids who did talked about it openly at the meets, both in the snack break before the tests or in the gatherings just before the scores were announced later in the evenings.

Worst they could do was throw you off the team, and no one ever did that. Half the time people only did it because they were just bored that night and the rest of the meets their scores would be more like what their math grades predicted.

Prayers and best wishes to those in Japan.

by Cassandra Waites on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 02:54:08 PM PST