View Diary: Center for American Progress issues 13 recommendations for 'Preventing Gun Violence in Our Nation' (205 comments)

•  A longshot, at best, to get passed. (4+ / 0-)
    annecros, Pluto, noway2, Dogs are fuzzy

Making semi-automatic rifles be registered similarly to automatic weapons?  An excellent way to get liberal and moderate gun-owners on the side of the NRA.

And, even at that, of limited actual value (which is starting to veer off-topic, in my opinion -- so I won't get into it here).

It's not going to happen, so why waste political capitol on something that just won't ever become law?

In fact, I believe it would hurt Democrats electorally overall, so let's try these other measures first, which have a reasonable chance of actually becoming law, and have shown some effectiveness in combating crime.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 04:00:34 PM PST

•  I am a liberal (9+ / 0-)

gun owner and nothing could get me on the side of the NRA.

I would have zero problems with gun registration, and I doubt that I am the only liberal/moderate that thinks so.

But I don't presume to speak for them either.

Almost 10 year old Daughter: "Boys are pretty good, but daughters have sentimental value." Me: "I don't think that phrase means what you think it does." Daughter: "None of them do, Mom. More's the pity. Words have to be flexible in today's world."

by left rev on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 04:13:07 PM PST

•  I don't buy this: (3+ / 0-)
      shaharazade, JesseCW, Laconic Lib
      Sure, the NRA has worked really hard to convince politicians that any gun control legislation is political poison, but in light of recent events, I seriously doubt that's now the case, assuming it ever really was.

If "liberal and moderate gun owners" have a problem with just registering their semi-automatic rifles, then I question whether they are indeed either liberal or moderate.  People register their cars and motorcycles.  Registration is hardly onerous.

As far as these measures having to show "some effectiveness in combatting crime," I'm not clear on what you mean.  The purpose of these measures is to make it more difficult for people to use extremely powerful firearms in mass killings.  If your test is whether they'll prevent, say, the average armed robbery, then I think you misunderstand what this is supposed to be about.

by FogCityJohn on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 04:24:49 PM PST

•  You'll find liberals right on this site... (5+ / 0-)

...who strongly oppose the idea of registration, for a variety of reasons (which are probably outside the scope of this particular discussion and rather off-topic).

If that makes you question whether or not they are truly liberal probably won't bother them overmuch.

It certainly doesn't bother me.

I disagree with you -- that doesn't mean I'm going to question whether you're a "real" liberal.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 04:30:15 PM PST

•  Hmmm (2+ / 0-)
          shaharazade, Laconic Lib

In a diary discussing various gun control proposals, one of which deals with registration, you are unwilling to explain the basis for opposing registration because you claim it's "off-topic."  I think you have an unduly restrictive view of what the topic is.

Whether people are bothered or not is hardly the point.  Those who oppose a simple thing like registering extremely deadly weapons can hardly be said to have "moderate" views on gun control.  As I said, registration is anything but burdensome, particularly given the nature of the weapons we're talking about.

by FogCityJohn on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 04:41:04 PM PST

•  5 years ago, a different bunch had most Democrats (3+ / 0-)
        FogCityJohn, Laconic Lib, dnta

in Federal Office convinced that supporting equal access to marriage was a electoral suicide.

Machine gun bullets became the bloody baptizers/ And the falcon 'copters don't care if someone's the wiser/ But the boy in the swamp didn't know he was killed by advisers

by JesseCW on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 06:34:43 PM PST

•  Yeah, I recall that. (2+ / 0-)
          JesseCW, Laconic Lib

Teh gayz were political poison, too.  Somehow that turned out not to be true.

I personally find it hard to believe that something as vanilla as requiring the registration of semi-automatic weapons is going to drive anyone into the arms of the NRA, at least not anyone who wasn't headed there anyway.  God knows that Americans are required to register things that are a lot less dangerous than guns, and we've somehow managed to preserve the Republic.

I frankly think this is nothing more than desperate concern trolling by "gun rights" advocates.  They see the tide of public opinion turning in the wake of our most recent horrific massacres, and they're frantically trying to come up with arguments to justify inaction.  Obviously, I don't count them out.  America has a shockingly high tolerance for violent gun deaths, and they may well be able to stop even minimal regulatory reform.  After all, what's 20 dead children, right?

by FogCityJohn on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 08:23:48 PM PST

•  I agree that it is not only a longshot, but that (0+ / 0-)

it's simply impossible under this Congress.

The world probably isn't ending in the next 24 months.  We can discuss proposals that we can't pass next Tuesday.

If we want to make any serious changes (and this isn't just about weapons) we have to start fighting the longer term battles.

We also have to get over the fantasy that firearm regulation has ever cost us anything serious electorally.

It's a massive confusion of correlation and causation.

by JesseCW on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 06:29:54 PM PST