View Diary: Tarantino's Holocaust (73 comments)

•  You haven't seen the movie yet....but yet you (7+ / 0-)

feel compelled to comment.  Dude, that's what the right wingers do--speak out of total ignorance.  I happen to know an African-American scholar of black history who thought this movie was brillliant.  Perhaps you should go see the movie.  LOL--and don't quit your day job .

In a dark time, the eye begins to see. Theodore Roethke

by bibble on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 07:35:49 PM PST

•  In fairness, Tarantino isn't always the most (9+ / 0-)

articulate defender of his own movies... But Django stands on its own merits, flaws and all.  Easily one of the better moviegoing experiences I had this year.

Saint, n. A dead sinner revised and edited. - Ambrose Bierce

by pico on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 07:41:01 PM PST

•  he did the same thing (2+ / 0-)
        pico, skrekk

with inglourious basterds. it's appalling and brilliant and entertaining all at the same time.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 08:44:17 PM PST

•  That about sums it up. (4+ / 0-)

It's a minor miracle that he and Christoph Waltz found each other.  Tarantino's gotten good-to-great performances out of most of his actors (that is, most of his actors not named Tarantino), but Waltz is somehow the most perfect manifestation of the Tarantino actor ever: no matter how stilted the dialogue, he somehow transforms it into perfect, and perfectly natural grand theatre.  He was also the best thing about both of Tarantino's last two movies.

Jim Emerson had a funny appreciation of Waltz saying the word "ascertain", which... now I can't not hear him saying it.  (The link is also a very good, mixed review of where Django stumbles.)

Saint, n. A dead sinner revised and edited. - Ambrose Bierce

by pico on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 09:51:53 PM PST

•  i haven't yet seen django (1+ / 0-)
            pico

although i shall, but i just watched kill bill for the first time in years. he even got a great performance from uma thurman, who can be very wooden. he even got the greatest acting performances in tony scott's directing career, just from the script.

my favorite scene of waltz was in the cafe, with the strudel. the meticulous elegance of his pleasure, his sheer exuberance, whether eating pastry or sadistically torturing someone... which is more chilling, that or ralph fiennes under spielberg? and then to wrap up the movie with the most mockingly ridiculous of hollywood happy endings...

i hate violent films, but tarantino's violence is so comically absurd and visually poetic. he's such a doofus, i think some people don't appreciate the subtlety of his genius.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 11:54:16 PM PST

•  I don't think he's a genius at all. (0+ / 0-)

Amusing story teller at times, but hardly genius material.

In fact, I stopped paying to see his films at the point I realized I was watching 70% recycled content without the 30% funny filler that made some of his early stuff entertaining.

We know:

People will rant a lot.
              People will swear a lot.
              People will shoot/hack/beat a lot.
              They will be wearing different costumes than the last film in some cases.
              We are supposed to be shocked, surprised and amused.

Just stopped working for me.

Maybe I'm missing something great but I kind of doubt it.

What about my Daughter's future?

by koNko on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 03:36:27 AM PST

•  I'm not black, but I have seen the movie (4+ / 0-)

I think it expresses in a very powerful way the monstrosity of American slavery. I also don't think there's anything in it for African-Americans to be offended by.

Django Unchained is the only noteworthy movie by a prominent director from last year. Zero Dark Thirty is propaganda normalizing and legitimizing the current phase of American imperialism (a.k.a. War on Terror), while Lincoln is the usual white "Let's feel good about saving dark people."

•  Did you read the diary? (0+ / 0-)

And "Worse than Slavery: Parchman Farm and the Ordeal of Jim Crow Justice" by David M. Oshinsky?

Don't quit your day job.

What about my Daughter's future?

by koNko on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 03:20:20 AM PST

•  Good point. (0+ / 0-)

So last night I went and saw the movie.

By the way, I didn't have to see the film to know from the tone of his interview that he was doing an exploitation film, because I have seen his other work.  I might have jumped the gun by coming out strong before I saw the movie. My intuition could have been wrong. It is a well made film. A lot of the acting is brilliant, but the film is 45 minutes too long for the simple sake of getting in a whole bunch of extra gratuitous violence that doesn't add anything to the essential story. He turned what could have been a tightly delivered beautiful (potentially educational) story into a meandering comic book tail.

Murder in real life is not amusing. I stand by my original comments that center around the staggering loss of life of young black men due to a culture of gun (and other)violence on the street. This movie isn't helping, and Q.T knows it.

As far as history is concerned, knowledge of the actual level of brutality in Anti Belem Mississippi ( which is difficult to comprehend) render many parts of the plot of this movie implausible. ( The part near the end where the Richie Havens song comes in would have been the end.)

Peace, Love, and Prosperity.

by Rich Lyles on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 04:23:39 PM PST