View Diary: Busting myths about the private gun sale, aka 'gun show' loophole (20 comments)

•  You must be wrong! Gun cultists (even among us) (3+ / 0-)
    tytalus, peterfallow, a2nite

tell us again and again that "there is no gun show loophole!"

Then again, they love repeating their mantra that "guns don't kill ..." in many different variations.

Then they came for me - and by that time there was nobody left to speak up.

by DefendOurConstitution on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 01:39:39 PM PST

•  The "Gun Show Loophole" was a misnomer (6+ / 0-)

it was really the private sale exclusion, of which guns shows were a part of the sales which were not required to go through the background check process. I think this is an area where we are seeing common ground with many gun owners and advocates. All gun buyers should be required to be go through the background check process, regardless if the seller is a private party or licensed dealer. I think there is also some common ground to upgrade the data base used for the background checks.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 01:48:40 PM PST

•  Call it what you will, it means nearly 50% of gun (2+ / 0-)
        peterfallow, a2nite

sales happen without any type of background check.

Then they came for me - and by that time there was nobody left to speak up.

by DefendOurConstitution on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 01:50:57 PM PST

•  So I guess I have been purposefully mislead (1+ / 0-)
        luckydog

by some of the others posting here. A lot.

“liberals are the people who think that cruelty is the worst thing that we do” --Richard Rorty Also, I moved from NYC, so my username is inaccurate.

by jeff in nyc on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 01:56:12 PM PST

•  I suspect the majority of RKBA types (0+ / 0-)

here on Dkos support closing the private sale exclusion.

I would also like to see a legal requirement to report lost or stolen firearms, both by private owners and dealers. In addition, I suggest stronger laws against trafficking and straw purchasers.

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward. Franklin D. Roosevelt

by notrouble on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 09:56:55 PM PST

•  notrouble - I mostly agree (1+ / 0-)
          notrouble

However, a legal requirement to report lost or stolen guns suggest that they need to be registered and mandatory registration isn't going to happen in this Congress. States can also pass mandatory registration and I think some may have already. The other issue is the liability of the owner when a gun is used to inflict injury or property damage. There is no federal legislation on that point and I imagine the state laws vary widely. Clarity on liability would definitely encourage owners of lost or stolen weapons to report the missing firearm and that could be done without registration.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 07:35:08 AM PST

•  I have a problem with registration (1+ / 0-)
            VClib

I see how that conclusion could be drawn, but I don't intend to support registration. If the "gun show loophole" is closed then, over time, the reporting of stolen guns will be part of keeping them out of inappropriate hands. It becomes a recovery tool, a way to catch black market guns and return them to lawful owners.

by notrouble on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 02:40:01 PM PST