View Diary: Abbreviated Pundit Round-up: Obama with the political high ground (108 comments)

•  As someone who smoked a fair share of pot in the (0+ / 0-)

day and drank way too much, I am very uncomfortable with legalizing this recreational drug or any other recreational drug. Decriminalization of small amounts, fine, but making it legal will only make for more folks with dependencies. I've been sober for over 20 years. Sober is better.

And outlawing assault rifles is the least we should do.

Victory is sweet-November 6, 2012

by al23 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 05:19:14 AM PST

•  Duly notes. Legalization (2+ / 0-)
      skohayes, nota bene

is the only thing that will work.

I still enjoy smoking - and being high - so we'll keep working on legalization so we can smoke when we ant without fear of jail, loss of job or being shot to death by those who protect and serve the capitalist pigs.

Enjoy your soberness and note that relegalization doesn't require you to return to a life of depraved pot smoking.

I think you should listen to more music that I like.

it's better than what you like.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

by xxdr zombiexx on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 05:24:26 AM PST

•  Its not me I worry about (1+ / 0-)
        xxdr zombiexx

Its 14 year old kids, you know the  ones they find out they enjoy getting buzzed more than they like doing homework.

Hey, I still love getting high (that's the problem) but I don't. Maybe you should try getting high on life? You might like that too.

Peace.

P.S No one has better taste in music than me.

Victory is sweet-November 6, 2012

by al23 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 05:40:21 AM PST

•  I know of nobody that wants children (0+ / 0-)

and 14 year olds are CHILDREN - smoking anything.

Legalization MEANS regulation and more regulation will make it more difficult for kids to get weed.

Right now they get it with impunity and I have to scuttle around in the shadows to get crumbs so I won't lose my house or my job or have my wife deported for nothing.

And I cant tell you how mad that makes me.

But I can have all the guns I want.

WTF kind of sense does this make?

And your taste in music must pale to mine.

I studied it. :P

by xxdr zombiexx on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 05:44:54 AM PST

•  Bullshit (0+ / 0-)
            Here in Connecticut, its way easier to buy our one legal drug, beverage alcohol, than any illegal drug.

Sorry dude, but that dog don't hunt.

Victory is sweet-November 6, 2012

by al23 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 05:49:04 AM PST

•  You can't be taken seriously. (3+ / 0-)

I am all for banning alcohol again. Americans are more than willing to put up with the carnage of the black market as evidenced by the way they put up with the carnage from guns and from drunk driving and from the war on drugs in general.

Regulation of alcohol, if you missed this chapter of history, ended the black market and ended the crime sprees and the massacres associated with it. Sure we still have a major amount of problems with alcohol (How many episodes of COPS involve drunk people?)

Regulation of marijuana is what "legalization" means. The terms are interchangeable.

Marijuana is NOT regulated. it is out of any known control.

Regulating it would control it. Where it is made, where it is sold, to whom it is sold, etc.....

If you do not understand this you;re not going to get far in the discussion.

by xxdr zombiexx on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 06:05:00 AM PST

•  you missed my point (0+ / 0-)

I am totally not in favor of prohibiting alcohol. Just showing how your point that legalizing a drug makes it harder to get makes no sense.

Clearer?

Victory is sweet-November 6, 2012

by al23 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 06:39:48 AM PST

•  And if we get a full ban on AR-15's (0+ / 0-)

guess what the next black market is.......

Then the fun will begin in earnest.

Illegal gun trafficking will likely be 4 times as lucrative as drug trafficking. (Based on the idea that global weapons sales = 4 times what illicit drug sales fetch.

Figures may not be accurate but you can bank on the black market is restrictions become stringent enough - however, I think that won't happen and Obama's recommendations are about all we can feasibly do.

by xxdr zombiexx on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 06:08:35 AM PST

•  So a 14 year old (1+ / 0-)
              Heart of the Rockies

can buy alcohol in CT easier than he can get pot (which is commonly sold on middle and high school campuses)?
              Do they not ask for ID at these stores?

“We are not a nation that says ‘don’t ask, don’t tell.’ We are a nation that says ‘out of many, we are one.’” -Barack Obama

by skohayes on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 06:15:15 AM PST

•  Easier for underage kids to buy alcohol (0+ / 0-)

than to buy pot?  I doubt it.  The penalties are pretty harsh here in Colorado for any store that sells it to someone under age or anyone who buys it and resells or gives it to someone underage.

Undercover agents patronize the liquor stores, and the stores all know it.

•  Hate to be crass. (3+ / 0-)
      skohayes, nota bene, tb mare

But just because it affected you negatively doesn't mean it has the same effect on others.

If they want to move some of the tax receipts to substance abuse programs, though, I'd be OK with that.

"Michael Moore, who was filming a movie about corporate welfare called 'Capitalism: A Love Story,' sought and received incentives."

by Bush Bites on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 05:26:00 AM PST

•  Hey BB (0+ / 0-)

See above about the 14 year olds. I was lucky. Recreational drugs produce dependency and that's bad. Maybe not for you, but for lots of us and it doesn't start when you're an adult, usually, it starts when you're a dumb kid. Not good.

Decriminalization is fine, but legalization is never good. Our one legal recreational drug kills way too many. Why add another?

Victory is sweet-November 6, 2012

by al23 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 05:45:56 AM PST

•  I smoked pot when I was a kid. (1+ / 0-)
          tb mare

Haven't smoked since shortly after college.

And, frankly, I wouldn't mind doing it once in awhile again, but I'm not going to get arrested for it.

The vast majority of recreational drug (or alcohol) users don't become addicted.

Why should the laws be written for what happens to the minority of users?

by Bush Bites on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 05:52:10 AM PST

•  that isn't crass, it's common sense n/t (1+ / 0-)
        tb mare

Views Differ On Shape Of Planet

by nota bene on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 06:03:14 AM PST

•  Alcohol is not pot (0+ / 0-)

Pot is safer, less addictive and less harmful to the body.
      I've been sober for 21 years (congratulations, by the way!) and have smoked in the intervening years with no problem whatsoever.
      Legalization would make it easier to keep the drug out of the hands of children, for that matter (drug dealers don't ask for ID).

by skohayes on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 06:07:52 AM PST

•  congrats to you too. (0+ / 0-)

Not making an argument about relative  safety. I just think all recreational drugs are harmful when not used with extreme moderation. I don't think many kids know anything about moderation.

Victory is sweet-November 6, 2012