View Diary: Oregon sheriff tells VP Biden he won't enforce new gun laws (75 comments)

•  wrong (10+ / 0-)

obama got less than 40% in linn. corvallis is not eugene, and outside of corvallis, linn is rural and red.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 09:22:29 AM PST

•  lane, linn...lane, linn (1+ / 0-)
      Laurence Lewis

who named these counties, anyway!?

moar coffee!

Please don't dominate the rap, Jack, if you got nothin' new to say - Grateful Dead

by Cedwyn on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 09:32:22 AM PST

•  Corvallis is (7+ / 0-)

the county seat of Benton County.

Benton is blue.  And yes Linn is rural and red. blec.

"the Devil made me buy this dress!" Flip Wilson as Geraldine Jones

by BlueJessamine on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 10:55:48 AM PST

•  Plenty of liberals and Democrats here!! (1+ / 0-)
        Cedwyn

You should see all the Obama signs around---and guess what? Nobody stole them as far as I know!
        I live in Linn County nd everybody I can vote for is a ---wait for it---DEMOCRAT!!
        Figure it out!

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 12:39:55 PM PST

•  Only 40% democrat, gee whiz (0+ / 0-)

yeah, you should kick us out of the party

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 12:52:38 PM PST

•  we love that you're there (2+ / 0-)
        BlueJessamine, Smoh

your sheriff is hardly representative of state trends.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 01:23:49 PM PST

•  I HAVE Talked to other Linn County Dems about this (1+ / 0-)
          Cedwyn

And, altho hardly anyone agrees with him on everything, there is a general consensus that he is doing an OK or better job and there is not significancat oppsition to him.

I need to point out that  altho Linn County is a 60-40 county, EVERY parisan office I can vote for is aa Democrat? I LIKE ghat  lot, and it was nt inconsequential whenn I was choosing a place to live (2004) Maybe not so all red, eh?. I knew when I saw all the Kerry signs I cold live here.

How about the time Mueller filed suit because he didn't think it was right to give gun permits to marijuana card holderss?? What do  you think of that, Mueller, er dislikers? think he was a dolt for maintaining that untill the OR supreme court told him off?? And now he enforces that law just as they specified, as is his job?

Opinion? Liberal thing or not?

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 02:10:22 PM PST

•  Oh BTW (1+ / 0-)
            Cedwyn

The OR supreme court told him he had to issue gun permits to maijuana card holders. Yes its true, you can have  marijuana card AND a gun permit in OR
             and Mueller goes along with the law now.
            he WILL institute a suit on this if thats what happens, no doubt about it

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 02:15:35 PM PST

•  he sounds libertarian (3+ / 0-)
            Sylv, smartdemmg, Smoh

but if gun control laws are on the books, he must enforce them. if he wants to file suit, and the county supports his so using public funds, that's fine. but if his suit fails, he must enforce the law.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 02:16:07 PM PST

•  Wait till then to hang him (0+ / 0-)

He opposed the gun permits to MJ holders untill told otherwise by the OR Sup---remember? Now he gives them out to MJ card holders as told. he'd probably do the same with this..
              He'd not an unreasonable guy but a real independent one. All these people hati---I mean intensely disliking hijm should know he doesn't enforce some of the immigration laws he's required to because he doesn't want to roust some of the best people in the county. He says if the feds want to enforce that they should pay him more---which is also part of this. OK he may not be a liberal but you gotta like that. He really IS oriented to giving the people their rights, something you GOTTA like in a sheriff.
              You MUST know how all the rural counties are cutting back their already cutback departments. 911 gets you a machine in many counties 6 hrs a night!

I know one thing:
              The is the loosest policed county I ever lived in and thats just fine with me. you could walk past the courthouse in Albany smoking a doob as big as Beaverton and at worst you would just  get a ticket. I grew up in some mean streets in CA, no error. (like Richmond)
              This is an old hippies dream, literally.

One of the safest counties i one of the safest states

(PS I'm not mad at you LL< you know I like your other stuff about OR.)

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 02:31:05 PM PST

•  i'm not into hanging anyone (3+ / 0-)
                Sylv, BlueJessamine, Smoh

but if even if he holds up on gun control until the courts have ruled, i will criticize him. we need common sense gun control, and the measures obama proposed and established are not exactly extreme.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 03:01:57 PM PST

•  Here's some other stuff he did (0+ / 0-)

So you know there's a lot more to this man than is being said. He's complex

He sent a similar letter about not enforcing federally demanded immigration laws, saying, among other things that it was not his job to break up families and bother law abiding citizens. (very similar to what he said here)
                  We're liberals, Right?? SMILEY FACE!!! :-)

He wrote a letter to the feds saying he was not going to enforce marijuana laws in contravention of oregon marijuana laws.
                  We're liberals, RIGHT?? SMILEY FACE!!!  :-)

he has a thing abot enforcing extra federally demanded mandates.
                  We're liberals, right? Hmm, MAYBE FACE :-'

I'm gonna stop right here and commend hm for the stand he took on BOTH of these issues and I SURE DO HOPE that everybody who wrote nasty letters and sent nasty emails about him will now send out more saying he should be impeached (or whatever) for not following federal giuidelines on immigration and marijuana.PLEASE!!! I mean you DO want to be consistent, right!! Or do we just  cherrypick our hateful feelings about the man?? Based on ignorance?

I have never felt better about a sherriff than when I read his stand on enforcing immigration and not his job to break up families. I never heard a snheriff say a trur word or understand his job better.   You bet I think he gets the Hispanic vote here, small as it is.. I thought then that it was worthy of my vote and I have seen nothing since to change my mind.

Happy just to be alive

• Economy (19)
  • Law (19)
  • Science (16)
  • Politics (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Barack Obama (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site