View Diary: President signs executive orders and calls for Americans to press their reps on gun violence (180 comments)

•  Its a start I guess . (7+ / 0-)

"Drop the name-calling." Meteor Blades 2/4/11

by indycam on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 10:11:50 AM PST

•  It's the start of-- (4+ / 0-)
      Bensdad, walkshills, BroadBlogs, wlkx

something else for the GOP to whine about.

I wonder why they have been relatively quiet so far.  To date they've let the NRA carry the fight.  Surely the GOP aren't being circumspect about something important.

I'm not sixty-two—I'm fifty-twelve!

by Pragmatus on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 10:19:40 AM PST

•  Also, violent video games for children (3+ / 0-)
        BroadBlogs, msmacgyver, greengemini

serve the same purpose Fox News does for their parents--applying shocks to increasingly stupefying minds.

I'm not sixty-two—I'm fifty-twelve!

by Pragmatus on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 10:22:53 AM PST

•  Violent video games aren't made for children. (3+ / 0-)
          Subversive, BroadBlogs, mkoz
        •  Yeah. Here's the thing: (11+ / 0-)

My best friend used to be the manager of a GameStop. He was adamant about not selling M-rated games to anyone under 17 without a parent there to approve, and even then he would describe in vivid detail what they were buying. The parent would usually just shrug and say "well that's what he wants" or "whatever". I don't ever recall an "I don't think so, Billy".

The game ratings are there for a reason and some parental units couldn't care less. I think you'd have to start there. I could write a diary on this, and I probably will. Just thought I'd put it out there.

"I chose to change facts, reality, and the meaning of words, in order to make a much larger point." - Paul Ryan John Oliver

by SC Lib on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 10:58:37 AM PST

•  This is all irrelevant to the topic. (4+ / 0-)
            BroadBlogs, mkoz, nicolemm, WheninRome

Video games and media in general have little if any influence on the level of violence in a society. Exactly the same video games and media are current in Canada as in the United States, but the Canadian murder rate and gun crime rates are a fraction of what they are to the south. And have you ever seen Japanese video games?

Unless you can explain this anomaly, you have no business suggesting that violent video games have anything to do with this topic. That they do may be a "gut feeling," but remember, the gut is full of sh*t.

"They smash your face in, and say you were always ugly." (Solzhenitsyn)

by sagesource on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 11:12:25 AM PST

•  maybe, and maybe not (3+ / 0-)

but certainly they must be one of the components in this very violent society. Fact is, almost every aspects of American society and entertainment trade on violence, from the language used by broadcasters to describe things like daily financial activity to the viciousness of professional football.

One place to start making the society more civil is to watch what you (generic, general, not you sagesource) say and how you say it.

Listen to yourselves for a while, then do some self-retraining. Comments on this board would be a good place to start.

We are often so identified with whatever thoughts we may be having that we don’t realize the thoughts are a commentary on reality, and not reality itself. -- Gangaji

by Mnemosyne on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 11:16:59 AM PST

•  They made it part of the topic (2+ / 0-)
              nicolemm, greengemini

Do I believe violent games are the problem? Hell no. If that was the case I'd probably be a multiple-murderer who runs over people and slaps prostitutes around on a daily basis.

It's more symptom than cause. I don't think we'd have the super-violent games without the gun culture in this country. Or at least not the same super-violent games. I think Mortal Kombat would have happened regardless.

And yes, I have seen some of the Japanese games. They're fucked up in an entirely different way.

by SC Lib on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 11:29:39 AM PST

•  A diary on this would be a good idea. n/t (0+ / 0-)

by Meteor Blades on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 03:29:03 PM PST

•  Other countries have the same video games yet (0+ / 0-)

with proper gun regulation they don't have a fraction of the deaths. As for the video games while I am appalled at the level of violence and deadening of reaction it does indicate any connection because these minds seek out what feeds thier own thinking processes.In a similar manner being sexually abused DOES NOT indicate that the abused will go out and commit the same crime despite the stigma against them. The %ages are the same in the abused population and the unabused population. FOX news hypes up the true believers  who would believe regardless of whether they added thier idiotic story lines... they are selling what they want to buy.

Fear is the Mind Killer...

by boophus on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 11:54:36 AM PST

•  Much ado (1+ / 0-)
      annecros

List of non-actions this White House will take to again sweep the issue under the rug:

Release the memo's!
      Review (non)actions!
      Publish a letter!
      Appoint someone to a post I left vacant thru my entire first term!

That'll show'em!

But when we had the chance to renew the Brady Bill -- let it expire!

•  As noted, it is a start (8+ / 0-)

and a push to the topic to maybe get it unfrozen.

Put it this way, if action were to happen, this is what the beginning of it would look like.

Pretty pleased to see something, personally.

Hay hombres que luchan un dia, y son buenos Hay otros que luchan un año, y son mejores Hay quienes luchan muchos años, y son muy buenos. Pero hay los que luchan toda la vida. Esos son los imprescendibles.

by Mindful Nature on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 10:45:18 AM PST

•  This is pretty much the limit of what (11+ / 0-)

the President can do without new laws. Would you prefer him to be the Constitution-shredding tyrant God emperor that the Rabid Right pretends he is?

America—We built that!

by Mokurai on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 10:54:11 AM PST

•  How does the president pass a bill? (4+ / 0-)

President: executive branch.
        House, Senate: legislative branch.

Ever heard of the separation of powers?

"They smash your face in, and say you were always ugly." (Solzhenitsyn)

by sagesource on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 11:13:35 AM PST

•  Yours is exactly the attitude making meaningful (2+ / 0-)
        greengemini, wlkx

gains so difficult.  "Yeah, yeah yeah...nothing's gonna happen."

What has to happen now is for the public - that includes you and me and millions of others - to get off our cynical lazy asses and support our President long and loud...for as long as it takes... to get this outrageous gun violence situation under control.

Now is a golden opportunity.  IF we take it and own it.

To expect "this White House" to do all the work and fix what is OUR problem is ludicrous.  It's beyond the Executive Power. President Obama is providing leadership right now; it requires millions of us to step up, work together and see that these things get done in the face of fierce opposition.

No excuses.  It is our job now.

"Evil is a lack of empathy, a total incapacity to feel with their fellow man." - Capt. Gilbert,Psychiatrist, at the end of Nuremberg trials.

by 417els on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 11:54:51 AM PST

•  Nothings gonna happen when (0+ / 0-)

you support meaningless efforts from powerless puppets who are only interested in sweeping things under the rug ,,

but you go ahead and bet on the guy who overturned RONALD REAGAN on guns in national parks & rolled over on LETTING THE BRADY GUN BILL expire

Facts won't matter to the Obama-sycophants any more than they do with the teabaggers

•  So, do you have a solution? (0+ / 0-)

What do you think will make things happen?

I'm not betting on President Obama.  I am betting on the power of the American people - IF we/they are FINALLY fed up enough to put in whatever MASSIVE EFFORT it takes, for however long it takes, to gain the upper hand on this country's insane acceptance of gun violence.

I am not an Obama-sycophant.  I, like you, am disgusted with guns in national parks and expiration of the Brady Bill...along with many other things that I consider to be failures on his part.  But to allow these disappointments to negate all successes, both past and potential future victories...to cynically dismiss acts of leadership when they do arise?  Well, I see that as defeatist and playing right into the hands of repulsive individuals whose intent is to remake our entire society into their own repulsive, ignorant and repressive image.

If you have constructive ideas on how to go about dealing with the creeps trying to force their destructive, violent will on us all, please put them out here. I'm not being glib nor confrontational, Chi Xpat.  This issue needs all the civilized discussion it can get.

by 417els on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 07:25:27 PM PST

•  Why don't people get that NRA only cares about $ (1+ / 0-)
      dannyinla

Gun sales is their job. They don't care about people's well-being, protecting their homes and family, hunters. Just gun sales.

And they will use any tragedy to boost those sales.

•  And they are doing their job VERY well (0+ / 0-)

right now. Gun sellers & manufacturers couldn't be happier. One just has to wonder how long the American public is going to be fooled by their bs.