View Diary: The Filthy, Cowardly, Repugnant Limbaugh Mocks Children (160 comments)

•  Do you have a source for the number of children? (11+ / 0-)

I'm not doubting it's accuracy, I just didn't hear it mentioned in the speech so I wasn't sure where it came from.

I have been keeping track of all cases reported in the media of children dying of gun violence since this happened-By my count there have been 37. But many cases do not get reported (I'm assuming most of the suicides) It's part of a larger project but I think it is important to put faces to these statistics so here they are (please feel free to use in your diary if you want, this is meant to be shared):

Photobucket

Again, these are the 37 reported. You can find more details of each child here, including names, ages, locations and circumstances of their deaths:

View Kids Killed since Sandy Hook in a larger map

As to your post-I could not even get halfway through reading what he said, let alone listen to it. As the mother of a first grader in Connecticut I can tell you my daughter's fear since this happened is genuine and breaks my heart every time she expresses it. And even before Sandy Hook, many children grew up (and continue to grow up) with very real and not unfounded fear of gun violence. Rush is a pig.

You must work-we must all work-to make a world that is worthy of its children -Pablo Casals Please support TREE Climbers for victims of child sexual abuse and exploitation.

by SwedishJewfish on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 07:14:42 PM PST

•  The president mentioned that number (3+ / 0-)
      SwedishJewfish, PinHole, elwior

in his speech this morning.
      My original intention was to post pictures of all 90 but I couldn't find them.
      I think the president is privy to more info that we are so I took his word for it.
      Great job with that project of yours. Isn't it just heart breaking to have to do such a job?
      Hugs to your little one.

Maya Angelou: "Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."

by JoanMar on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 07:27:19 PM PST

•  I heard him mention 900 Americans (4+ / 0-)
        JoanMar, NoMoreLies, elwior, America Jones

I must have missed that part of the speech. I have no doubt of it's accuracy...as I've been doing my research I continue to stumble across children who I had not counted. I try every possible means to find a picture of each child but  in many cases they aren't released. This is a very depressing project, but I think the worst part is when I make the mistake of reading the comments section of the articles. I swear to god the NRA has some astro-turfing goon squad because you cannot find a comment section that isn't overwhelmed by gun nuts spewing their talking points. If it's about a black or brown child, it's even worse. The last article I read about 2 teenage boys (14 and 17) who were killed on the same weekend in Chicago, the comments section was well over 90% flat out celebratory, saying things like "good, get em before they breed". The details of each child's death is heartbreaking, but it's the indifference and callousness to their passing that makes it almost unbearable at times. Hearing the president speak today helped a lot. At least I know he cares, and he is listening.

by SwedishJewfish on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 07:55:10 PM PST

•  That's the crux of the matter, SJF. (3+ / 0-)
          SwedishJewfish, Ian H, elwior

The NRA wants its members armed to the teeth to fight against those "thug." You know who the thugs are, don't you?
          This isn't only about killing beautiful animals, stuffing and displaying them in your living rooms to show how much of man a you are.
          Check Ann Coulters nauseating comments today.
          I suppose something could be on WH site about the number of children killed.

by JoanMar on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 08:12:41 PM PST

•  Yup, the 17 year old boys armed with skittles (6+ / 0-)

and iced tea...they are the scary ones.

Not good ole boys like Dalton Stidham, who got so pissed off after a custody hearing yesterday morning that he went out and bought a glock, and within a matter of hours used it to gun down his 20 year old ex girlfriend, her father, and her 12 year old cousin in the parking lot of a community college. (One of TWO college shootings we had yesterday, btw) I just found out the 12 year old died in the hospital so I will have to add her name and face to this ever growing list :(

by SwedishJewfish on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 08:29:23 PM PST

•  My goodness. (11+ / 0-)

I am so calling on Anonymous to help destroy the NRA. Seriously. Enough already.
              We have reached the breaking point.
              Goodnight, SJF. In CT, too, and work tomorrow. :)

by JoanMar on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 08:39:19 PM PST

•  (when Anonymous went after Westborough (3+ / 0-)
                Hey338Too, elwior, JoanMar

BT i started to realize that though their power to do great harm is kinda scary they have their utility)

•  I saw a post from Anonymous... (2+ / 0-)
                JoanMar, elwior

... I was very disappointed in stance they took on the gun control issue.  Basically, they sounded like the NRA - blaming the shooting on "crazy" people and intimating that the President is trying to take guns away in order to pursue "his own purposes".  Part of their argument is that if you take guns away from the people only "teh guvmint" will have guns.

Here's a link to the video (I can promise you that it will not make you happy).  The general tone of the video is dismissive of the President and what he is trying to do.  The video is 15 minutes long.

Of note in the video, at the 2:39 mark there is a quote from a diary published to the Daily Kos to support their hypothesis.  At the 10:15 mark, they give a list of "rights" which must not be abridged or they promise "insurrection".

I find it sad that a group that did such good for Newtown in the wake of the WBC threat, can be this closed minded as it relates to weapons of mass destruction in the hands of people who shouldn't own them in the first place.

I haven't been here long enough to be considered a Kossack, does that mean that I'm just a sack?

by Hey338Too on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 09:12:33 PM PST

•  I am so sorry for you child's pain/fear >: (6+ / 0-)

I hope you can tell her that the President is doing something right now, today, to make it less likely to happen.

•  Currently about 2,800 per year according to the (4+ / 0-)

Children's Defense Fund: Protect Children Not Guns 2012 - PDF.

Of course this does not even count the 17,000 plus children and teens that are injured by firearms every year.

That's about as many victims as 9/11, except all children - year after year, so your question is right on target.

BTW the numbers in the Children's Defense Fund publication are attacked because they include children until the age of 19 (I'll leave it to THE pediatrician among us to define the age of children) and that the approximately 25% of children teen deaths are suicides (cause suicides can never be counted, even among teens, because they see it as a "life choice" - sic & sick).

Then they came for me - and by that time there was nobody left to speak up.

by DefendOurConstitution on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 04:43:59 AM PST

• Recommended (148)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Climate Change (23)
  • Labor (23)
  • Economy (20)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Josh Duggar (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site