View Diary: Even the term 'assault' is under fire in assault weapons ban debate (424 comments)

•  With the AR-15 out there, do people really (2+ / 0-)
    88kathy, lyvwyr101

need to worry about trying to get machine guns?

•  A machine gun and an (4+ / 0-)

AR-15 are very different weapons.  An AR-15 is basically a scary looking version of a hunting rifle.  It also uses a tiny caliber round so it is only suited for coyote and varmint hunting which I personally do a bunch.  My Ar-15 is my weapon of choice for that style of hunting.

•  And can unleash 30 shots in under a minute... (6+ / 0-)

not exactly good for the health of anybody standing in front of it.

I don't blame Christians. I blame Stupid. Which sadly is a much more popular religion these days.

by detroitmechworks on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 01:14:34 PM PST

•  This is why (2+ / 0-)
          happy camper, fuzzyguy

I support a reduction in clip sizes.  If you don't have a 30 round clip, you can't pump out that many rounds.

Taking away my hunting rifle for coyotes (the AR-15) is simply a gun grab.  Reduce the clip size we can purchase.  I don't use 30 round clips anyways in my AR-15 as the extra weight is pointless to carry in the field.

•  But as gun advocates like to remind us... (4+ / 0-)
            88kathy, msmacgyver, nota bene, lyvwyr101

we can switch out magazines in less than ten seconds, so therefore a ban on magazines is pointless.

Course if we ban semi-autos, they'll claim "Oh, A single action revolver can fire six shots and be reloaded in that time, so clearly you can't ban semi-auto."

No matter what, gun advocates always have an excuse to drag their feet.

by detroitmechworks on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 01:33:19 PM PST

•  "Simply a gun grab" - and your point is? I mean, (1+ / 0-)
            lyvwyr101

you say that like that's a bad thing. Do you have the impression that DKos is a right wing site?

There can be no protection locally if we're content to ignore the fact that there are no controls globally.

by oldpotsmuggler on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 03:24:34 PM PST

•  Has our party turned into (1+ / 0-)
              PavePusher

gun grabbers now?  That won't work well in 14' with the voters.  I know you will easily lose me and many of the people I know in rural America if you attempt to pull this political stunt.

•  "Our party" - Quite frankly I don't know if I (1+ / 0-)
                lyvwyr101

trust that statement, particularly since in my entire 65 years I've never heard the term "gun grabbers" come out of the mouth of anyone we needed, or even wanted in the Democratic Party. Uh, folks who are not wing nuts are typically given to a bit more nuance in their phraseology. Your "sky is falling" kind of hysteria, truthfully makes me suspicious of where your true allegiances lie.

Yeah, 86 total comments, 0 diaries, and a join date of less than a month ago, somehow I have a feeling that no one will miss you when you're gone.

by oldpotsmuggler on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 08:02:23 PM PST

•  Subtracting from our (0+ / 0-)

party people you personally don't agree with is nuts.  That is the way to election loses.  Us rural democrats are a very important group of voters for this party.  Not caring about what is important to us is hardly impressive.

•  Pretending to be who you're not is worse.n/t (0+ / 0-)

by oldpotsmuggler on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 09:44:42 AM PST

•  You are a joke (0+ / 0-)

There is room in our party for people that support the 2nd A and are against a new assault rifle ban.  I know this because our party is supposed to be smart.

Since an assault rifle ban isn't a smart idea due to the fact it would do nothing but subtract votes from our party in future elections while not reducing gun violence, I am hoping my party wakes the hell up.

•  I agree (0+ / 0-)

passing a new assault weapon ban is just as much political suicide for the Democrats now as it was back in 1993.

Some of us are actually trying to increase the reach of the party into rural areas and other purple to red areas of the country, letting the party get painted as a bunch of "gun grabbers" does not help.

For the most part I wish most elected officials of the party would run away screaming any time someone suggested passing any additional gun regulations.

•  you're just a gun nut (1+ / 0-)
            lyvwyr101

"taking away my AR-15 is simply a gun grab"? That's just NRA speak.

•  You're not alone in that. But the AR-15... (4+ / 0-)

...is often chambered for heavier rounds (like the .308) for hunters who have the money and love the AR platform. And that tiny .223 round has a lot of juice behind it, which it proved by killing a whole lot of Southeast Asians when fired from the AR-15's military version.

by Meteor Blades on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 01:18:38 PM PST

•  It isn't an AR-15 anymore (3+ / 0-)
          happy camper, fuzzyguy, PavePusher

if it is chambered in .308.  It is then called an AR-10.  The action is different to support the larger rounds.

Yes an .223 does have juice behind it but most larger caliber hunting rounds are much more "deadly" than that.  My grandpa old semi-auto .30-06 is much more deadly than my modern AR-15 any day of the week.

If people are worried about the deadliness of a .223 round, then every single hunting round would have to be banned.

Since none of that should happen, I still view this as a gun grab for political reasons and that is a shame.

•  It proved to be very effective at killing (3+ / 0-)
        msmacgyver, nota bene, lyvwyr101

and completely dismembering 20 small children and also killing six adults in Newtown.  Seems like its effectiveness isn't limited to coyote and varmints.

I know you probably feel like you're fighting with ignorants like me in these discussions, but some of us see basic themes emerging here that seem to suggest that slowing the weapons down and reducing their magazine sizes won't really screw up your varmint hunting to a degree that anyone should really care about and at the same time might save some people's lives - which seems like a fair deal to me.

•  LOL (1+ / 0-)
        lyvwyr101

Keep trying.

Cuz know what ... we all just watched the video in the diary.

Really, learn to lie better than a 5-year-old.

"What could BPossibly go wrong??" -RLMiller "God is just pretend." - eru

by nosleep4u on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 02:11:55 PM PST

•  There is no doubt that full-automatic is faster... (2+ / 0-)
      inclusiveheart, msmacgyver

...but as you can see from the video I posted atop this thread, a determined person with some practice can fire more than 250 rounds in less than 80 seconds. Walk into a theater or an elementary school or a shopping mall and you can kill a lot of people in a big hurry with no need for a machinegun.

by Meteor Blades on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 01:13:16 PM PST

•  That was the point of my question. n/t (1+ / 0-)
        lyvwyr101
      •  Semi-auto is actually better (2+ / 0-)
        Dogs are fuzzy, nota bene

if the user is inexperienced. Some models of the M-16 had a three-round burst limit because full auto is so hard to control. Firing semi-auto is a much more effective way for an inexperienced user to kill a lot of unarmed people out in the open quickly.

Full auto is really best when used against enemies in cover. It keeps their heads down and if you don't know exactly where they're hiding, spray and pray is a good bet.

But if the thing you're shooting isn't shooting back and you can see it...semi-auto is probably better for a new shooter.

• Recommended (133)
  • Politics (16)
  • Rescued (16)
  • Media (15)
  • Texas (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Barack Obama (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site