View Diary: What is Sustainable Landscaping? (127 comments)

•  Sillia! (2+ / 0-)
    sillia, Aunt Pat

Are you still here? I have news for you.

"Fast, Cheap, and Good... pick two." - director Jim Jarmusch

by AnnCetera on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 11:39:51 AM PST

•  Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! (2+ / 0-)
      AnnCetera, Aunt Pat

AnnCetera! Hi! I do want to talk with you! Yes, I'm here! Same email, or you can Kosmail, whatever.

I love it that Obama's channeling Harry Truman: "I don't give 'em hell; I just tell the truth and they think it's hell!"

by sillia on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 11:46:10 AM PST

•  Just sent you a message... (3+ / 0-)
        NoMoreLies, sillia, Aunt Pat

via Kosmail.

Looks like I'm going to have to start looking for waterwise perennials for sandy soil, myself!

"Fast, Cheap, and Good... pick two." - director Jim Jarmusch

by AnnCetera on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 11:53:31 AM PST

•  Got it, and replied! (2+ / 0-)
          Aunt Pat, AnnCetera

Glad to hear this red state may be acquiring a blue citizen!

by sillia on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 12:13:59 PM PST

•  What region of the country are you in? (3+ / 0-)
          Aunt Pat, sillia, AnnCetera

In the upper Midwest down to Kansas and Missouri, butterfly milkweed, pale purple coneflower, purple and white prairie clover, prairie dropseed and little bluestem grasses, prairie phlox (Phlox pilosa), wild blue lupine and yellow, cream, white and blue indigo (Baptisia spp.) are excellent for sandy soils.

Trickle Down Economics 101: They get the golden parachute, we get the golden shower.

by NoMoreLies on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 01:52:46 PM PST

•  Lovely! (1+ / 0-)
            NoMoreLies

It's a good thing I like butterfly milkweed and purple coneflower! And buffalograss. The area I'll be living is in the Platte River valley in Nebraska, which has somewhat rich soil, but it's very sandy and prone to drought.

This will be quite different from the area where I currently live, which is the rocky hill areas in Kansas City. I've dug through a solid 8" of grey clay in order to plant trees, and a rocky outcropping comes to the surface in my back yard.

"Fast, Cheap, and Good... pick two." - director Jim Jarmusch