View Diary: More on the House GOP's new debt limit ransom demand, and by ransom demand I mean complete surrender (93 comments)

•  Chained CPI hasn't gone away... (3+ / 0-)

...with the 3-month can-kicking "victory". Obama pro-actively wants it. It wasn't a thing that he'd be forced into, it was a thing that some (including me) felt he'd trade at some point during the February/March fiscal FUBAR sequence as the Democrats' sacrifice in the big deal.

I'll also point out that in no way is the debt ceiling even put off for 3 months, because the deal may not pass, or it may be intended for PR purposes but not intended to pass -- to make the "negotiation" about the budget instead of the debt ceiling.

We'll likely know in mid-March how it plays out, unless they kick all the cans to May/June.

it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses

by Addison on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 09:31:32 AM PST

•  So it's best to remain convinced that (1+ / 0-)
      PhillyJeff

Obama has nefarious plans to destroy the safety net.  Got it.  The fact that he's done the opposite for 4 years means nothing.

When your fears mirror those of Wayne LaPierre, maybe you're reading the wrong pundits.

David Brooks and Charles Krauthammer are begging him to stop making the Republicans look like loons and I still read on a Democratic blog that he's a bad negotiator with no interest in what's best for American citizens.  Fucking baffles me.

by I love OCD on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 10:00:37 AM PST

•  Erm... (2+ / 0-)
        limpidglass, Capt Crunch

...I'm talking about Chained CPI. Obama himself has pushed the idea and put it on the table -- recently. Pelosi, too. You're beclowning yourself acting like it's some paranoid delusion that Chained CPI is  on its way.

it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses

by Addison on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 10:05:58 AM PST

•  Beclowning. Funny. What I'm saying is that (0+ / 0-)

I have no reason to believe Obama is undercutting SS, he's had many opportunities to do so and somehow didn't grasp them.  That makes me stop and think when THIS month's tempest flares up, that's all.  No one has answered this question, which I ask every time I'm entreated to light my hair on fire about SS or Medicare: when in the last 4 years were the Serious Thinkers right about Obama's plan to gut the safety net?

Can you point to one instance where Medicare was slashed by Obamacare?  (that was the claim).  Can you tell me how my SS benefits have shrunk since DINO Obama sneaked into power?

Who exactly is blocking the desperately needed Medicaid expansion that Obama slipped into the ACA?  Is it True Progressives who see it as the slippery slope to something something or is it Republicans who know they're totally fucked on Government is Bad once Obamacare starts changing the ridiculously expensive and inept private health system?

by I love OCD on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 10:30:13 AM PST

•  He said what he said about Chained CPI... (1+ / 0-)
            Capt Crunch

...it's on the table, direct from the President himself as recently as two weeks ago. Pelosi herself pushed Chained CPI as a way to make SS stronger. These things are not delusions.

it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses

by Addison on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 10:38:22 AM PST

•  Avoiding the question. (0+ / 0-)

When did Medicare, Medicaid, or SS get cut on Obama's watch?  Which time?

by I love OCD on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 02:53:03 PM PST

•  Here's a reason to think he's in favor of cutting (1+ / 0-)
            PorridgeGun
            "PRESIDENT OBAMA: ...but I already have, David, as you know, one of the proposals we made was something called Chain CPI, "
            This is from his most recent appearance on the Sunday talk shows.
            I would say Obama's own words are a pretty good reason.
            •  He's also said he was open to (0+ / 0-)

budget cuts.  And he's cut the budget by making government more efficient and less open to fraud.  Not by cutting services to the most needy.  What no one seems to get is he says things that sucker Republicans into revealing THEIR nefarious plans, and sneaks stimulus funding into the bargain WITHOUT CUTTING THE SAFETY NET.  Yes I'm yelling.  It. Hasn't. Happened.  EVER.  One entire term and paranoia still reigns, common sense is out the window.

by I love OCD on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 02:44:51 PM PST

•  Oh geeze - the chess master excuse again. (0+ / 0-)
                The first stimulus was waaaay inadequate becasue Obama started the negotiations to the right of where he should have ended up. The 2010 election results were dismal in large part  because the economy was much less improved than it should have been - because of Obama's flaccid stimulus.
                He only got RomneyCare passed because he, once again, was trying to appease the Republicans by offering their healthcare plan as a starting point.
                Neither one of those were the work of some genius strategist. They were stupid moves. And they caused the general public massive pain and suffering.
                He is not some genius.
                He is not a saint.
                He is not a hero.
                He's just another guy in the White House that made some stupid mistakes in his first term and is finally starting to learn.