View Diary: Anti Second Amendment (58 comments)

•  Meaning what? (4+ / 0-)

How did Prohibition work the last time we tried to outlaw a commonplace, popular product?

•  drugs don't harm other people (2+ / 0-)
        doomedtorepeathistory, Bisbonian

only the user. Guns can harm not only the user, but others around them as well. Biiiig difference.

Actually, we're still continuing Prohibition in the form of the war on drugs while insisting that guns should be readily available to anyone who wants them. Completely backwards, if you ask me.

"In America, the law is king." --Thomas Paine

by limpidglass on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 05:16:36 PM PST

•  Not talking about the reasons ... (2+ / 0-)
          mahakali overdrive, VClib

... I'm talking about the effectiveness of trying to eliminate the product from America.

•  I disagree with that statement... (0+ / 0-)

Drugs most certainly can and do harm other people.  DWI comes easily to mind...and here are lots of families that have been devastated financially, emotionally, and physically by someone's drug use...

Do not, please, make any assumptions from the above about what I think about our drug laws.  I'm simply refuting your statement.

The longer I live, the clearer I perceive how unmatchable a compliment one pays when he says of a man "he has the courage to utter his convictions." Mark Twain

by Persiflage on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 06:03:50 PM PST

•  Really. Please seperate out the damage of the WOD (0+ / 0-)

from the damage caused by drugs themselves, and see if you reach the same result. And you can't really count consensual use, because that goes back a million years before civilization.

There can be no protection locally if we're content to ignore the fact that there are no controls globally.

by oldpotsmuggler on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 06:37:27 PM PST

•  Sir, your recent diaries / diatribes against (0+ / 0-)

firearms and their ownership...even by law-abiding citizens who have never, and likely never will behave irresponsibly caused me to look back over your diaries.

I assume from a scan of those diaries and various comments that you were once involved in illegal drug procurement and distribution.  (Whether or not some of those drugs should be/should have been treated like acohol is not the issue at the moment.)

I don't know what WOD stands for...but, it is reasonable to assume that most recreational drug use is consensual regardless of the consequences.  My daughter 20+ years ago certainly wasn't forced to smoke/do drugs and DWI folks don't usually have a bottle forcefully inserted between their lips.  But, the damage, if any, is real.  And, I can say that if 20+ years ago I could have found the asshole who sold/gave my daughter drugs, jail would have been a minor inconvenience to him/her compared to what I would have done.  And, in my opinion, drug dealers...regardless of jail time...never repay the damage they do...even if only to a single susceptible person whose life was ruined.

So, you may take your current attitude of moral superiority and insert it where the sun doesn't shine.

by Persiflage on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 02:55:38 AM PST

•  WOD War on Drugs, the support for drug (0+ / 0-)

prohibition that is devastating the planet. Of course the supporters always want to put the blame elsewhere.

by oldpotsmuggler on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 09:23:41 AM PST

•  I don't see the equivalency, for any number of (1+ / 0-)
        limpidglass

reasons, but the main being the biological imperative of the human organisn to engage in mind altering experiences. How many thousands and thousand of years longer did we evolve in the presence of naturally occuring substances like alcohol (and I don't mean to use longevity as an excuse here, merely as an explanation) than the mere sliver of time that we have spent trying to figure out how to co exist with explosive weapons?

I don't know about you, but the years I spent locked up helped me learn that the mere act of making things illegal is a great way to force folks to focus very carefully on their behavior.

by oldpotsmuggler on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 05:22:35 PM PST