View Diary: The stunning fantasy of pro-gun Kossacks (872 comments)

•  I was listening to a local radio show (22+ / 0-)

the other day, and the pro-gun guy talked at some length poo-pooing the notion that assault weapons are all that powerful. He concluded that people want to ban them because they are scary-looking.

Of course that leads to the corollary that guys like him buy them only because they are scary-looking.

Utter bullshit.

Trickle-down theory; the less than elegant metaphor that if one feeds the horse enough oats, some will pass through to the road for the sparrows. - J.K. Galbraith

by Eric Twocents on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 02:39:25 PM PST

•  In an earlier diary I wrote that at least one of (11+ / 0-)

those blessed little babies in Newtown had eleven bullets in their body:

The gunman massacred 20 first graders, shooting some of them as many as 11 times, the medical examiner said today.

"I've been at this for a third of a century so my sensibilities may not be the that of the average man, but it's probably the worst I've ever seen," said Chief Medical Examiner H. Wayne Carver II, who has been a medical examiner for 36 years.

......
      "I only did seven of the autopsies. The victims I had ranged from three to 11 wounds a piece," Carver said.
      .........
      "All the wounds that I know of at this point were caused by the long weapon," Carver said, and many were shot at close range.

Having lived in Newtown and having put my then 6 year old on a bus expecting him to come home, All of these protectors of high powered assault weapons can, with all due respect, kiss my ass.

"Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Matthew 5:11

by parsonsbeach on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 04:10:17 PM PST

•  You have no idea what you're talking about. (1+ / 0-)
        Catesby

"High powered assault weapons" is an emotionally charged bullshit talking point. It's MEANINGLESS.

I go into quite a bit of detail upthread on the difference in power between a .223 rifle as compared to a .30-06. The latter is what is commonly used in deer hunting.

The common "assault rifle" has the EXACT SAME RATE OF FIRE as the common deer rifle. The exact fucking same. The deer rifle, however, is VASTLY more powerful. This is fact and will remain a fact no matter how much you ignorantly scream otherwise.

Why in the hell would you think a round designed to drop a 1000 pound buck deer would be anything but more powerful than one designed for use against a 200 pound human? You're not only ignorant for not knowing the facts, you're illogical for not realizing the obvious that gee, maybe the weapon designed to take down something 5 times bigger might be just a tad bit more "high powered" in order to do the job.

As to "close range", let's talk about that a bit. A .223 is only really effective at close range. A .30-06, on the other hand, is designed with 1000 yard ranges (TEN FOOTBALL FIELDS!) in mind.

Now which one the fuck do YOU think is "high powered"?

"Is there anybody listening? Is there anyone who sees what's going on? Read between the lines, criticize the words they're selling. Think for yourself, and feel the walls become sand beneath your feet." --Geoff Tate, Queensryche

by DarthMeow504 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:41:45 AM PST

•  Wow. You apparently have some serious issues. (0+ / 0-)

I was quoting the Medical Examiner and you think it's o.k. to insult me? Maybe medication would help you.

by parsonsbeach on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 04:00:09 PM PST

•  I was a bit OTT, I'll be honest (0+ / 0-)

...because repeating the same facts to the same ignorance over and over has gotten frustrating. Perhaps I could have taken a break to state my facts more calmly.

My facts, however, remain facts.

by DarthMeow504 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 06:45:07 PM PST

•  When you speak to me, watch your language! (0+ / 0-)

My facts, however, remain facts. Don't you dare ever speak to me like that again or I will report you. I was fascinated by your previous "Sandy Hook" Diary. I lived there. You did not!

Now which one the fuck do YOU think is "high powered"?
              I let the medical examiner decide that. Not me, which is why I was so confused at YOUR anger towards me. I accept your half hearted apology with the exception that I am not ignorant. I am an expert sharpshooter. Care to have me prove that? There's a range in Newtown. Care to meet me there?

;o)

by parsonsbeach on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 08:37:34 PM PST

•  I'm not driving there from New Orleans (0+ / 0-)

... but if you're a "sharpshooter" you know damned well the difference between a light round like a .223 and an actually high-powered round like the .30-06. You know the rate of fire is the same, but the "hunting" rifle is vastly more powerful at a much longer range.

And I'll tell you something else. You don't need to be a "gun nut" or even a shooter or gun owner to know these things. I'm neither. What I am is a writer and long time gamer, who has learned these facts through research and reading. If I can do it, anyone can. All of the relevant information is available in the library and online.

There's no excuse for people trying to make policy when they don't know what they're talking about.

by DarthMeow504 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 02:39:03 AM PST

•  That is EXACTLY correct. (1+ / 0-)
      Catesby

I went into quite a bit of detail about that upthread. The entire selling point of these weapons is their appearance. And it is also why they are demonized.

A .223 rifle is significantly weaker than the common hunting weapons, which are the .30-06 rifle and 12 gauge shotgun. This is ballistic fact with hard science behind it.

Yes, the weaker gun is scarier looking. Strange but true.

by DarthMeow504 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:31:40 AM PST

• Recommended (128)
  • Community (55)
  • 2016 (43)
  • Environment (38)
  • Republicans (34)
  • Elections (34)
  • Bernie Sanders (33)
  • Culture (31)
  • Hillary Clinton (26)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (24)
  • Labor (24)
  • Climate Change (22)
  • Education (22)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Media (21)
  • GOP (20)
  • Civil Rights (20)
  • Economy (19)
  • Affordable Care Act (18)
  • Texas (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site