View Diary: one last post on guns this evening (132 comments)

•  I didn't see full-autos at the one in Lubbock. (7+ / 0-)

Did see some antiques. Did see some spendy rifles.

Everything from a pepperbox pistol to a gold-engraved presentation 1911A1 handgun to a black-powder muzzle-loader electronic-ignition $5K specialty hunting rifle.

And a 4-H club auctioning off a shotgun as a fundraiser. If I'd won I'd've given it back so they could sell it again. That program does a lot of good for kids.

A couple of guys advertising the classes they teach for CCL.

A guy who makes incredibly well-crafted safes for handguns.

Some wonderful leatherwork, and some Native American handmade jewelry. Oh, and we bought some cinnamon-honey-roasted cashews there, too.

by BlackSheep1 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 12:58:23 AM PST

•  Reminds me of GOP campaign commercials, (18+ / 0-)

and about as disingenuous.

"Bernie Madoff's mistake was stealing from the rich. If he'd stolen from the poor he'd have a cabinet position." -OPOL

by blue in NC on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:51:44 AM PST

•  Blacksheep1 just described what (4+ / 0-)

she saw at a local gun show. No elaboration, just what was there. mr.uintas used to go with a friend and sell jerky at them, that is what they are like. When someone posts an honest comment why do you feel you must insult? Do you hate it when it doesn't fit your imagination?

Sometimes I think people here have become so warped in their fantasies that they imagine that the shows are like the bar scene from Star Wars. They aren't. Gun shows are what they are, good dealers and some bad ones. Some are just there to sell their stuff and some will screw the buyer or worse by far IMO, deliberately sell to straw purchasers.

Frankly they are a lot like antique shows.

"The scientific nature of the ordinary man is to go on out and do the best you can." John Prine

by high uintas on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 11:04:18 AM PST

•   It wasnt an insult HU (0+ / 0-)

It was a snarky comment on the lack of depth of the underlying ugliness below the surface-- Norman Rockwell painted only the surface of what people wanted to see of good times wonderfulness but it was just a picture, because so many americans were not experiencing what Rockwell painted- particularly minorities.  So a show of Guns  while seemingly full of fun and goodness has a much different experience for many Americans, one of death pain and suffering.
           Ive been to gun shows and they never show a victim of a gunhsot wound laying in a hospital bed in a coma with tubes everywere and loved ones sick in grief watching over them which is the experience of many Americans and many across the world.
            So these people 'if they went to a gun show' would describe probably a different scene that would reflect their memories of violence. Like-- we seen several versions of the gun that killed our little johnny, Our stomachs became nauseated unsure whether it was the site of johnny's killer or the greasy corn dogs... maybe it was the smell that permeated, a metallic shooting smell that brought back memories of Johnny's apartment days after his being shot.
            I am sure my experience and that of my families would be far different than the one described in the post you refer to.

•  I was at that show ... (26+ / 0-)

I saw hundreds of young white guys. I heard dozens of anti Obama comments. A few n words were tossed around with the honey nut cashews.
      Oh, and I saw plenty of assault style guns along with those pepperbox pistols.

•  Here we go again (8+ / 0-)

with the dive into terminology and minutiae.

Predictable and pathetic.

"What could BPossibly go wrong??" -RLMiller "God is just pretend." - eru

by nosleep4u on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 07:03:36 AM PST

•  Really? (1+ / 0-)
        BlackSheep1

No "dive into terminology" unless straight facts bother you. They must. And why get your jollies insulting?

The comments on this site are becoming more and more like the comments on RW sites. Hear no, See no, Speak no. In all my 8 years here I have never seen anything as deliberately obtuse as the conversation now.

by high uintas on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 11:08:25 AM PST

•  shall we join hands and sing "kumbaya"? n/t (4+ / 0-)

by abbysomething on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 07:22:30 AM PST

•  what programme for kids? (2+ / 0-)
      Smoh, lyvwyr101

the one you liked the fundraising for?

Do tell

•  probably a program (3+ / 0-)
        askyron, Greenfinches, lyvwyr101

to teach kids how to shot. I find it really sad to see pictures of children with an adult being taught how to use assault weapons at shooting ranges. This does not make me feel warm and fuzzy nor does it make me think that the gun culture is being responsible.  The family that shots together? To me it seems to be passing irrational fear and disregard for life on to the next generation. What kind of a hobby is practicing shooting lethal weapons and teaching children how to protect themselves by learning how to operate weapons whose purpose is to kill other quickly and efficiently.

•  The gun classes I attended in Minnesota (1+ / 0-)
          BlackSheep1

stressed safety and responsibility along with the mechanics of target practice.  Interestingly, it was in an obsolete "girls gym" in a grade school that they (the NRA?) converted to an indoor shooting range.  (Obviously years and years ago.)

But the classes were a lot like the ones my sons attended at an indoor shooting range here in California.  I recommend classes like this for everyone.

Even Democrats can be asses. Look at Rahm Emanuel.

by Helpless on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 11:28:56 AM PST

•  My opinion as well. (1+ / 0-)
          shaharazade

A little boy attending a gun-show a while ago in Westfield, Ma. shot and killed himself with a gun his father handed him.

I find the political right's insistence that Nancy Lanza was a responsible gun-owner very puzzling for all these same reasons.

The Onion says----scholars have discovered---the Mayan word for "Apocalypse" in fact---translates more accurately as: "Time of pale obese gun monsters."

by lyvwyr101 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:48:13 PM PST

•  She was afraid (1+ / 0-)
            lyvwyr101

that the hoard's of peons would take away her stuff and come after her once the economy crashed. She wanted to protect her life style and loot A common paranoia among those who think that the world and society is just screw or get screwed and losers in the game are just as nasty as they are. Arm up the unwashed hoards will invade our suburban citadels to take our stuff. That's psychosis or maybe just sociopathic what ever you call it its madness. It's also systemic in our society of gated communities and the immoral concept that says wealth creation trumps human life.

•  A 4-H Club (3+ / 0-)
        Smoh, high uintas, Dogs are fuzzy

http://www.4-h.org/ is a link about the national organization.

Here in Texas one of the things they do is teach hunter safety.

by BlackSheep1 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 10:20:13 AM PST

•  You say you didn't see any full autos there. (1+ / 0-)
      Smoh

How about semi automatics?  And how about magazines or clips that hold mega numbers of rounds?

by gustynpip on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 09:35:32 AM PST

•  I didn't see a single actual select fire weapon (1+ / 0-)
        high uintas

I saw a ton of "wannabe" M-16 firearms, including four different makes of .22LR rifles made up to look like assault weapons. Of that lot I think maybe the best-built one is the Smith & Wesson version, but they're all still .22 rimfires.

Spendy rifles, averaging $500-700 for a .22.
        I'd far rather have my .22 Remington -- which cost <$110, tax and all, at a regular local gun shop.

One vendor had brought in a dozen or so of the M-1 Garands that, now, can be had through the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Another had a beautifully restored Springfield 03-A3 (and two that were badly in need of TLC).

I saw several varieties of "concealed carry" gadgets and one idjit all but assaulted me trying to get me to let him demonstrate his "trick pocket holster" with my cell-phone.

But I went with a friend who's another vet, and his interest is mostly in handguns. So that's what we mostly spent time looking at.

by BlackSheep1 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 10:45:04 AM PST

•  Come on (1+ / 0-)
        cocinero
        How about semi automatics?
        Interest in revolvers has waned in this country.  Most handguns sold today are semi automatic.  You see more semi auto shotguns than pumps in gun shops, by far.  And the only single or double barrel shotguns you see are the "spendy" types ($1,500 and up).

Can't speak for other states but you don't see high capacity clips in California because they're illegal here.  (Although, based on the large number of "military style" semi-auto rifles you see, I can imagine high cap clips would be plentiful in states where they're legal.  After all, why would one pay big bucks for a "military style" rifle and not go for the high cap clip?)

Note:  The difference between a semi auto hunting rifle and what Diane calls an "assault rifle" is purely cosmetic.  You can find videos on the tube where a hunting rifle is converted to an assault rifle in a matter of a minute or two.  So I think the real questions are:
        1.  Why are so many people so obsessed with "military style" guns given they have no more functionality than ordinary hunting rifles and cost so much more?
        2.  Why can't we ban the things that make a gun look like a military weapon when so many of the nuts who go crazy shooting innocents gravitate to these look-alike weapons?

So, although I think it has a poorly thought out title,  I support Diane's "Assault Weapon" ban.

Even Democrats can be asses. Look at Rahm Emanuel.

by Helpless on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 11:49:27 AM PST

•  Well, I'm not going to back a ban on a (0+ / 0-)

rifle just because it ejects the spent shell and picks up the next bullet as part of its operation.

That's all a semi-automatic does, one time for each trigger pull.

by BlackSheep1 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 10:58:00 AM PST