View Diary: Making NN13 a More KosAbility-Friendly Event (56 comments)

•  The scooters MIGHT be a possibility, (3+ / 0-)
    skohayes, Avilyn, Chacounne

from what I understand--though that's dependent on cost & advance arrangements. So a big maybe there.

Volunteers simply to run interference would be helpful, I agree. I'm optimistic that this will come to pass sooner than later.

For a discussion of closed captioning and the issues it presents, I refer you back to my diary of last July (please see link in the diary above). Great in theory, difficult to implement--but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try, or try at least to address the root accessibility issue.

Thanks for your feedback here.

Some DKos series & groups worth your while: Black Kos, Native American Netroots, KosAbility, Monday Night Cancer Club. If you'd like to join the Motor City Kossacks, send me a Kosmail.

by peregrine kate on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:30:34 PM PST

•  I'll check to see if the center (6+ / 0-)

provides any services like that -- I remember that the one in Chicago did for YKos07 back in the day, but don't remember if that was available in 2010 in Las Vegas. (Those are the only two I've attended.)

I'm going to try and get down to San Jose this week (probably Wednesday if I can prevent this damn cold that's threatening) to do some research into restaurants near the convention center for a future diary, so it'll be easy for me to stop in and ask some questions. I can tell you that McEnery Convention Center is relatively compact, and is accessible from both convention hotels (though there's construction on a new expansion that may have blocked some access from the Hilton but I'll check on that). I'm not sure if there are plans to use any of the facilities across the street (McCabe Hall, Civic Auditorium, etc.) but that would add into distance to be traveled so scooters might be a good idea for those with mobility issues.

For those who want to stay off site, it's right by the light rail line which is 100% accessible except for a few seats on each car. If anyone wants recommendations on off-site places to stay, you can Kosmail me; I'm pretty familiar with many of the lodgings on N. 1st Street and can check on their accessibility features.

If there's any legwork I can do to check out facilities, drop me a Kosmail; since I'm not that far from San Jose I can do in-person research.

"If we ever needed to vote we sure do need to vote now" -- Rev. William Barber, NAACP

by Cali Scribe on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:42:11 PM PST

•  AWESOME, C S! Thank you for your legwork! (2+ / 0-)
        Avilyn, Chacounne

I look fwd to your results.

by peregrine kate on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:46:22 PM PST

•  Should I Kosmail you the details (3+ / 0-)
          Avilyn, Chacounne, peregrine kate

or post a diary that someone can queue to KosAbility as an extra diary? I wouldn't want it to get lost in the shuffle of all the diaries complaining about Obama doing stuff he hasn't done. #eyeroll

by Cali Scribe on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:51:18 PM PST

•  Honestly, Cali, I don't think it's possible (0+ / 0-)

to have too many diaries on the topic. I will do another in a couple of days, but I think it would be great for you to do one as well. (If you don't mind, that is.) We can make sure it gets plenty of eyes.

by peregrine kate on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 08:04:31 PM PST

•  Okay, it's a date (1+ / 0-)
              peregrine kate

I'll try to get down there either Tuesday or Wednesday; with tomorrow being a state and city holiday I doubt there'll be anyone in the Convention Center offices to answer questions regarding accessibility (scooter availability and such). I also need to do some research regarding hospital beds for my mother-in-law, so I can go ask some questions at one of the places I have in mind then hop the bus downtown.

by Cali Scribe on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 09:04:11 PM PST

•  maybe specified time shuttles? gem cars? from (1+ / 0-)
        peregrine kate

the hotels to the center?

•  Both the convention hotels (1+ / 0-)
          peregrine kate

connect to the convention center, one at each end, so I don't think actual shuttles will be necessary. I could do a timed walk to see how long it would take to get from hotel lobby into the center; my walking speed is fairly slow right now because I've been having a few leg issues, so I could probably approximate how long/far a walk it would be for someone with mobility issues (I can also use one of the pedometers on my iPhone to get approximate distance). I can do the same for coming from the Convention Center light rail station into the center; if anyone's driving down for the sessions, it'll be way cheaper to park at one of the light rail stations and take that in than it will be to park at the convention center...it can be pretty pricy for full day parking IIRC (though I'll check on that as well).

by Cali Scribe on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 09:09:35 PM PST

•  handicapped parking nearby for with stickers (1+ / 0-)
            peregrine kate

(and a map of where it is would also help) is something else to check.

•  I know there's handicapped parking (2+ / 0-)
              edrie, peregrine kate

in the garage right adjacent to the convention center; City of San Jose might have an online map of parking lots with disabled parking. That's something else I'll check into.

by Cali Scribe on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 10:26:26 AM PST

•  i'm close by - if you need some help in any of (1+ / 0-)
                peregrine kate

the searching...

•  Parking (0+ / 0-)

There is a parking garage right under the convention center. There is a large city (?) parking lot just across the street to the west of the center.

There is a smaller, 3-4 story parking garage a few blocks to the east of the convention center.

And of course the hotels will have their own lots or garages.

All of these parking facilities will have dedicated spaces for those with disabled license plates or hang-tags.

Here is a map.

If you look at this map, the Convention Center parking lot is the large rectangular lot bordered by Almaden and South Market Street on the sides, with San Carlos on a long third side.

Please proceed, governor

by Senor Unoball on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 02:25:31 PM PST

•  At OctopodiCon, (3+ / 0-)
      second gen, peregrine kate, skohayes

we rented scooters for our disabled guests for $60 a weekend.  If you offer them ad space in the program schedule, scooter rental agencies might cut you a deal like they did us.

As for hearing issues - for those who can use hearing aids, most convention centers have permanent assisted listening system (ALS) installed, you just have to let them know you need them.

If not, portable ALS systems can be rented. The hearing impaired should be seated in the front rows so they can also use lip reading as an assist to hearing  - remember, the hearing impaired listen with their eyes.

The microphone for the speakers should be below chin level so their lips can be seen.

Speakers should be reminded to face the audience, not turn their back to it, so the hearing impaired can see what they are saying.

Agree before hand and widely publicize a light code for the hearing impaired. LED flashlights can be your friend when trying to get the attention of someone hearing impaired - Itzl responds to LED flashlights that give 1 dot, a dot-dash-dot and 1 dot ("here" without the initial "h").

A laser pointer that repeats a code on a nearby wall or column also helps inform the hearing impaired. Itzl also alerts when he sees the red dot, not to chase because he won't chase it. For him, it's "someone wants to talk to you" and he alerts to me when he sees the dot.  It confuses him when the cats play with it.

A few pre-agreed-on hand signals can also help with the hearing impaired - the signs for "Come Here" and to alert for time (meeting in 5), and to ask "Eat?" or "Join us?" would help.

All knowledge is worth having. Check out OctopodiCon to support steampunk learning and fun. Also, on DKos, check out the Itzl Alert Network.

by Noddy on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 04:57:41 PM PST

•  Some of the things (1+ / 0-)
        peregrine kate

that help the hearing impaired can help the hearing in loud or crowded situations - the LED flashlight signals, the laser attention getter, the hand signals...

by Noddy on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 05:33:36 PM PST

•  Noddy, do you have a checklist or other (0+ / 0-)

document that records the accessibility arrangements that you all made for the Octipodicon? There are many standards out there, of course, but seeing another one recently implemented couldn't hurt.
        Please feel free to Kosmail me about this if it's something that can be passed along to us.

by peregrine kate on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 07:29:12 PM PST