View Diary: A Recommendation For Diaries on Religion (50 comments)

•  Speak even more carefully. (4+ / 0-)

Because we can't experiance body language, vocal expression or ethnicity.

Boehner Just Wants Wife To Listen, Not Come Up With Alternative Debt-Reduction Ideas

by dov12348 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 01:35:29 PM PST

•  This is not what I'm getting at. (5+ / 0-)

What I am frankly getting at is making sure that people who are generally freaked out by religion a) don't put themselves in the position to read a diary that will trigger them and b) give writers on religion an excellent reason to be able to say "you were warned, please don't hijack our thread". It's very practical, really. It protects writer and reader.

What is truth? -- Pontius Pilate

by commonmass on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 01:37:51 PM PST

•  Gotta say again (0+ / 0-)

I think you will not be happy with the reaction by thread hijackers to suggestions that they are getting triggered.  I really, really don't think that is gonna work for you.  But, YMMV.

"Empty vessels make the loudest sound, they have the least wit and are the greatest blabbers" Plato

by Empty Vessel on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 01:48:51 PM PST

•  commonmass I have always liked (4+ / 0-)

your religion diaries. I hope this doesn't mean that you are going to write fewer of them.

I understand your intention here, but am not sure it will have much impact. I just think religion diaries are pretty obvious from the title, and people who don't want to read or comment in them already don't.

As a member of Courtesy Kos, I am dedicated to civility and respect for all kossacks, regardless of their opinions, affiliations, or cliques.

by joedemocrat on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:01:09 PM PST

•  I don't intend to stop writing on religion. (7+ / 0-)

You can count on that. However, my membership in Courtesy Kos, as you acknowledge yours in your sig line, has me thinking that sometimes courtesy can manifest itself in many ways. One of them could be letting people who will click on a religion diary already offended by its existence will meet a diarist who acknowledges that. Sometimes, acknowledging right up front shows compassion. Which means "suffering with (another)", or the same in my beloved German, Mitleid.

What is truth? -- Pontius Pilate

by commonmass on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:05:22 PM PST

•  Hey thanks.. (4+ / 0-)

I said in another comment in this diary, that I apologize if I tried to discourage you. You are obviously trying and are thinking creatively.

And it certainly won't hurt - maybe it will help. If you don't try, you'll never know for sure.

by joedemocrat on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:08:38 PM PST

•  I embrace something that began in progressive (3+ / 0-)
              joedemocrat, The Marti, mapamp

Episcopalian circles a long time ago which is now very mainstream in those circles: radical welcome. With radical welcome, comes a kind of radical sensitivity, not knee-jerk, but a kind of listening. Intentional listening. What I'm really trying to do is listen. When you listen, sometimes, you hear amazing things.

What is truth? -- Pontius Pilate

by commonmass on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:13:48 PM PST

•  Could I join Anglican kossacks? (4+ / 0-)
                commonmass, The Marti, mapamp, DJ Rix

I am a Christian, but not Episcopalian. I am UCC.

If there was not a UCC church around me, I would consider Episcopalian as it stands for a lot of good.

by joedemocrat on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:15:56 PM PST