View Diary: The three schools of thought regarding guns on Daily Kos. (126 comments)

•  Group 2 (11+ / 0-)

but I do wish we would stop tearing each other to pieces and actually have a conversation -- both pro and con, about the gun regulation issue and actually produce light and not heat.

But here at kos our specialty is tilting at windmills.

•  I'm with you. (3+ / 0-)
      rexymeteorite, BlackSheep1, coquiero

I often get annoyed at pointless fights on things like roxx/suxx and would love to see more insightful conversations about gun regulations.

I don't like the demonization of groups because they have a differing opinion.   But I do see good diaries on guns every so often on this site so there is still hope yet.

Washington and Colorado said that you've got to legalize it. Hope the DOJ respects that.

by pistolSO on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 01:26:15 PM PST

•  no better way to get shot at (3+ / 0-)
      pistolSO, a2nite, greengemini

from both sides than to propose a reasonable restriction.

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 01:36:55 PM PST

•  It would be an interesting experiment (2+ / 0-)
      webranding, theboz

If it could be an old fashioned debate, with group one tasked with defending the second amendment, group three to propose methods by which the country could reduce firearms deaths and injuries, and group two only fact checking.

Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell. --Edward Abbey

by ricklewsive on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 02:01:40 PM PST

•  Well Ponder This (1+ / 0-)
        ricklewsive

I don't own a gun but I have a license to own a gun, cause my father has a lot of them and if he'd die, well I'd need a license to take ownership of them.

My dad is way more anal then I am and cares about following the law. I mean to the exact letter of the law.

Now I feel like I will sound like a NRA schil here, but I hope my liberal cred is clear, we already have enough laws.

If you are going to walk into someplace and kill a lot of people will you worry about buying an illegal gun to do so?

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 02:09:00 PM PST

•  There are a great many other (2+ / 0-)
          a2nite, pistolSO

forms of gun violence than mass murderers. I believe researchers find that more guns in more homes means more accidental deaths and injuries, more spontaneous shootings, more misinformed shootings (people shooting own family members in mistaken belief they are intruders), more successful suicides, etc. Since the number of firearms out there is rising fairly quickly, is there any way to reduce dangers associated with gun ownership or availability?

And with mass shooters, are there any reasonable steps that might reduce their lethality? The body counts relate directly to the shooter's capacity let loose a number of rounds in a given period of time and well as the lethality of those rounds. Are there no reasonable ways to maybe reduce the capacity for mayhem without endangering the rights of all those millions of people who consider themselves responsible gun owners?

by ricklewsive on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 02:29:04 PM PST

•  It Is A Complex Topic (1+ / 0-)
            ricklewsive

I wish I knew exactly what should be done.

I recall once saying I was thinking of getting my first gun. My friend, who owns a lot of guns, said to me did I realize it might be taken away from me and used against me?

The level of abuse with guns. Spousal abuse. Suicides. It is terrible. Terrible. Terrible.

But I don't think more laws are going to help.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 02:36:05 PM PST

•  I keep hearing that. (2+ / 0-)
              webranding, a2nite

Maybe if we stopped thinking "more laws" and replaced it with "better laws"?

by ricklewsive on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 02:43:08 PM PST

•  Here Is The First Thing That Matters IMHO (3+ / 0-)

a real background check. Have you harmed your spouse? Do you have a DUI? Are you paying your taxes?

I honestly don't know what the requirements should be, but if we had some that would be where I'd start.

I can't get health or insurance for my car without folks knowing a ton about my background. I hate they have all this info about me, but it is a reality.

We live in a reality based community here so lets start from there.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 02:51:54 PM PST

•  Thanks (0+ / 0-)

I would agree. A law that allows 40% of sales to occur outside the system is no law. That could definitely be improved but like you, I'm not sure what the criteria should be. We maybe should rely of researchers to answer that without the influence of lobbyists and politicians.

by ricklewsive on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:12:32 PM PST

•  webranding (2+ / 0-)
              i love san fran, DavidMS

You know I'm a member of RKBA. I'm a pretty strong supporter of the 2nd, but I believe that we need to have good background checks. If someone has a record of being a stalker or of spousal abuse they ought not to be able to have a gun.

I don't believe that felons who have committed violent crimes should have guns or people who have violence related mental health issues. I guess I believe there are some restrictions that just make sense.

I don't believe that we can be perfect in how we do these things, some people will slip through and others will be unfairly denied and have to fight it out, but I think we can do more.

What I don't support are laws like New York's where if you have two "military type" additions to a weapon, like a muzzle flash whatever or a bayonet mount, that gun is bad. Just take one off and that gun is good! No. Also, I've been given to understand that a 10 round magazine is common and has been for awhile, so why 7? It's just kind of dickish.

"The scientific nature of the ordinary man is to go on out and do the best you can." John Prine

by high uintas on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 05:32:58 PM PST