View Diary: The three schools of thought regarding guns on Daily Kos. (126 comments)

•  Back in the day (2+ / 0-)
    Pluto, a2nite

When I was all up for gun control I got into a "discussion" with the wife of an old friend of mine. I was so sure of my belief that no one needed a gun, that the only just reason was for hunting and even then I wasn't sure we needed to have arms....sometime in the mid to late '80s IIRC.

She was totally against everything I was saying and got really emotional about it, she told me she had a gun in her purse and it was with her all the time. I was outraged and thought she was insane, at that time she had a young boy and was expecting.

Back and forth we went. Then she told me about her rape by two guys in the laundry room of her apt. building in Denver. How she laid there keeping her mouth shut while her little baby boy slept in his little carrier near by. She told me her gun was the only thing that got her to go out of her house.

To my eternal shame I still argued with her, I was so sure I was right.

Yeah, I think dingos can be in elevators.

"The scientific nature of the ordinary man is to go on out and do the best you can." John Prine

by high uintas on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 05:56:19 PM PST

•  In the US (1+ / 0-)
      high uintas

...it's pretty risky not to carry a gun. By the same token, I doubt a gun would have prevented her experience, which could happen anywhere.

What you are saying is that since her horrific trauma -- a gun is the only thing that lets her go on with her life. It's her talisman.

I have a friend, a successful brilliant writer, who is incredibly productive -- but only when taking pain killers. He has left the world a far, far better place through his work.

Bottom line -- whatever gets you through this life in a positive way, is the way to go.

Denial is a drug.

by Pluto on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 08:33:46 PM PST

•  rAmen (1+ / 0-)
        Pluto

It was her talisman and I thought I was good enough to tell her it was bull shit. I am embarrassed still.

by high uintas on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 08:58:00 PM PST

•  I've done the same. I'm still ashamed. (3+ / 0-)
          high uintas, a2nite, blueness

There is so much brain damage from the traumas of life. I recently wrote (as yet unpublished) about it:

Among modern civilizations that possess a veneer of civilization and enlightenment, only Americans are in the grip of this strong, nearly violent drive to arm themselves. Speaking as a social scientist, this behavior is indicative of an ever-present stress caused by heightened fear or the consistent threat of mortal danger present in the environment -- over a significant length time.

Whether or not this incessant threat ever manifests and reveals itself to the individual is immaterial. The human brain does not know the persistent threat might be existential (or externally programmed). It continues evolving and changing (throughout life), now bathed in the juices of vague fears and mistrust. Over time the brain forms new arrays of bio-electrical processes that have adapted to the sensory input that the individual and his society provide on a consistent basis. The feedback loop is engaged, which gives the individual a certain amount of comfort and certainty as he moves through his world.

This biological process is neither good nor bad. It simply IS. It is the mechanism of the evolution of consciousness, which is a higher brain process than academic education. for example, It encompasses the biological encoding of religious practice or other spiritual disciplines. It can be encoded with ideological dogma, as well, if fight or flight juices and fear and rage enzymes are bathing the brain consistently during long period of indoctrination. (The enzymes of well-being do not stimulate adaptive evolution in the brain. Sorry.) This is a particular occupational hazard for truck drivers, which was revealed by another study.

Anytime the brain bathes consistently in the reactive juices of unique neurotransmitters and endocrine excretions -- caused by consistently applied external stimuli -- from the nurturing to the horrifying -- the brain will change physically and will learn to process input differently. Sometimes an individual is permanently brain-damaged (although functional), as with those who have experienced the American criminal justice system or those who enlisted to go to Iraq or Afghanistan. But they are returned to our midst and we keep our fingers crossed. Many times an individual is provided with exceptional and purposeful nurturing to give him access to all of his gifts, which permanently changes his brain structure. He, too, enters our midst. Collectively, it is our culture.

Denial is a drug.

by Pluto on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 09:35:41 PM PST

•  That was awesome Pluto (1+ / 0-)
            Pluto

and I have seen the real life impact of what you talk about in my sister who has had many tragic losses, years of shocks and emergencies. She has be hyper adrenalized for years and I'm afraid we are losing her to a dementia that has come from it.

by high uintas on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 10:07:22 AM PST

•  Case in point: (3+ / 0-)
      koNko, blueness, high uintas
      Yeah, I think dingos can be in elevators.
      :::Knock Knock:::