View Diary: Morning Open Thread: Paris Peace Accords Ending The Vietnam War Signed 40 Years Ago Today (98 comments)

•  so, did you see that as a win? (2+ / 0-)
    JaxDem, BOHICA

Feel sorta sheepish now but I volunteered a lot---enlisted for infantry, volunteered for airborne, volunteered for Vietnam (from Panama) volunteered to be a lrrp.
    Later I volunteered for a parachute testing detail.

Thats why I have to keep people like Jaxdem a continent away or I'd be doing 5 diaries a week! ;-O

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 06:10:13 AM PST

•  My only win (2+ / 0-)
      JaxDem, bobatkinson

Was ending up a Cobra crew chief and not having to be a door gunner. Life expectancy was not good.

After I left, records indicate that every ship in my platoon went down.

Hobbs: "How come we play war and not peace?" Calvin: "Too few role models."

by BOHICA on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 06:26:50 AM PST

•  I survived it-I'm calling that a win (1+ / 0-)
        JaxDem

I killed more of America's enemies than they did of me.
        Anyone who doesn't see that as a win didn't see much war.
        Think I'm going to go out and celebrate all over again.

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 06:44:57 AM PST

•  My best volunteering (1+ / 0-)
      JaxDem

Was in basic when I volunteered to be a driver. Got to miss morning formation, hung around the mess hall and supply waiting for someplace to go. Even missed the graduation ceremony because of it.

Hobbs: "How come we play war and not peace?" Calvin: "Too few role models."

by BOHICA on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 06:33:55 AM PST

•   lives were saved by a military drivers license (2+ / 0-)
        JaxDem, BOHICA

The army was divided into those with and without a militry driver's license. I never got a chance to get one, tho I had a CA drivers licnse my whole time in the army.
        At any point in my military career if you could raise your hand when asked if you had  a military drivers license (or could type) you got the cush job on the spot.
        It was the Magic Outta Here pill.
        here's a real helpful hint for future generations: if, in the military, anyone ever asks "Can anyone here type?" RAISE YOUR FCKING HAND!!!! It could very well save your life!! (and you don't really have to know how to type either, just fake it)

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 06:56:34 AM PST

•  Lrrps never needed military drivers licenses (2+ / 0-)
          BOHICA, Over the Edge

Any time you ever saw a picture of a lrrp in a jeep, you can bet el farmo the jeep was stolen.I can't tell you some of the true Vietnam war stories, they're still highly classified---like the time me and my pal stole an MP jeep while they were busy being menaced by another pal of ours with a grenade---all the time he being personally naked at the time.
          America's not ready for that one yet.

Photobucket