View Diary: The Human Behind the User Handle (194 comments)

•  I know... (30+ / 0-)

I got my ass jumped by some rkba person. I tried to be reasonable, he just kept getting more and more belligerent and snotty. It in no way advanced anything but this guys attitude. I'm a reasonable person, I didn't call him what I wanted to, but I did get short tempered. I begin to understand why so many are frustrated by them. Patience has limits. Don't know what he was trying to achieve, but he managed to give a middle aged lady a headache with his bullying. I know it was a agree or shut up and go away tactic and I'm sure he had a great time at my expense. In future I will be sure to check for 'gang affiliation' before getting drawn in.

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.

by Shippo1776 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 09:38:08 PM PST

•  In that situation (24+ / 0-)

I personally walk away. It aint worth the trouble.

Let them hang their ass out there for all to see, I wont participate in it. It generally works.

•  I searched your comments and found the (13+ / 0-)

"conversation" in question. No, I'm not stalking you. ;-)

You were extremely patient. And I've seen far to many of the ridiculous strawman arguments to which you were trying to respond civilly. It's the whole "I can buy any type of PC I want, I can buy any size TV I want, I should be able to buy any gun I want" thing. It's the "OK, keep 'em outta the hands of crazy people, but not outta mine...Ima not crazy, Ima patr'otic 'Murkin and I know my rights".

It is frustrating, especially when you can't make a civil rebuttal without being condescended to.

Hey, there are products that are so dangerous that they have been removed from the market, they cannot be manufactured or sold. Three-wheeled ATV's come to mind.

Pistol-grip folding-stock semiautomatic military-replica rifles with 30+ round magazines also come to mind. I think it's time to remove them from the market too.

Oops...I strayed away from meta and got into "The Topic". Sorry.

Anyway, I rec'd every one of your comments in that "conversation". :-)

"Bernie Madoff's mistake was stealing from the rich. If he'd stolen from the poor he'd have a cabinet position." -OPOL

by blue in NC on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 03:57:24 AM PST

•  Thanks (4+ / 0-)
        coquiero, GreenMother, CoolOnion, splashy

I was attempting to put across 'there are some people and some guns that have no use in the general public' . Really, my son has guns for work related target and weapons training. If the price of keeping innocents safe is to keep them at a range, we can do that. I do need my squirrel rifle (.22, bolt action, 6 rounds, family heirloom) for rabid animals or feral dog packs. Animal control takes 4 hours to get out here. People being unreasonable really put at risk the ability of anyone to keep a small gun for any reason. I live in the middle of nowhere, I put no one at risk. But this guy wants to put me at risk. Blind stupidity.

by Shippo1776 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 07:49:01 AM PST

•  I live in a situation where we too have to (1+ / 0-)
          Shippo1776

occasionally deal with feral dogs, and animal control, does their best, but only one guy to cover a vast expanse. So far, we haven't had to deal with any rabid animals [knock on wood]. That must be way scarier given the pathogen issue.

We don't all live in regular neighborhoods, or apartment buildings. Nor would I want to. In fact I wish I lived further out into the boonies and had a larger piece of land.

Friendly dogs get put on a lead and placed in the front yard for pick up by animal control, if they lack proper tags--tags mean I can call the owner. Mean dogs that menace and charge us, get something else if they don't run off after that first confrontation.

I don't like it, but I have kids that deserve to play in their yard without fear of being mauled. I deserve to tend my garden and fruit trees without being mauled or chased as well.

•  I know (1+ / 0-)
            GreenMother

I cover 50 acres of field and forest which includes a large cave entrance. Lost hunting dogs are easy to return to owners. Large abandoned former pets and doys (half dog, half coyote, no fear of humans) are a whole different problem. We haven't had a human die of rabies in 4 years, we keep watch as does fish and game and animal control. It's a big county, one animal control guy.

by Shippo1776 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 09:33:16 AM PST

•  We live in an area more densely populated (1+ / 0-)
              Shippo1776

The major problem we have are people dumping what I suspect are fighting dogs. Poor things never had a chance.

Coyotes are a problem.

But then we get city slickers who move out here and think that because they live on 5 acres now, that they can let their dogs run loose. They don't realize that 5 acres isn't that much and that fido often goes wandering, and heaven help us if it likes our chickens.

The worst thing about dogs attacking chickens, is that they don't eat them. They just play with them to death and will do it until there are no more chickens in the yard.

At least if a hawk or eagle or bobcat, or even a coyote takes a bird, it's part of a food chain, and not just the loss of a bird left in a bloody mess in my yard with a pile of feathers.

The other scary thing are the kids. No one walks or bikes out here without some kind of stick or pepper spray, because of dogs not fenced or kept on a leash. So my kids don't get the run of this area, not because of perverts, but because of people who won't properly house their canines.

•  I too went and looked at that exchange (4+ / 0-)

you started out by saying people have a gun addiction and intervention is needed, went on to say you don't want AR type guns.

The response wasn't too over the top in my reading.

I didn't follow the whole thread, but I have to say it takes two to tango.

Strongly worded opinions will elicit strongly worded responses.

From the beginning I'd say you gave as well as got.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 08:37:12 AM PST

•  That guy is a jerk (2+ / 0-)
      Shippo1776, CoolOnion

He does the RKBA group no favors with his belligerence and obnoxiousness.

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 08:51:22 AM PST