View Diary: Assault Weapons Question (73 comments)

•  Quoting ft-lbs is almost caliber war territory (0+ / 0-)

Rifles are more powerful than handguns.  Speaking in terms of ballistics, handguns suck.  The standard (jacketed / hard point) .223 is not a very powerful round that is good for target practice and small game.  Many don't even consider it to be effective as a man stopper.  There are other kinds of ammunition for a .223 and especially for a 5.56 chambered gun that are more powerful.  Given the choice between a standard .223 and a .45 ACP, I would likely opt for the .45.

•  Not sure what it is (1+ / 0-)
      BlackSheep1

that makes some people get all dreamy eyed about .45 ACPs

I've got a $1000 Kimber that misfeeds about every 20th round, and that's after I sent it back to the factory.

My Beretta 92 has never malfunctioned in 20 years.

If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard!

by Major Kong on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 07:27:46 AM PST

•  Don't blame the .45 ACP round. (0+ / 0-)

Could have been an issue with the ammo, the magazine, or the gun. Something was not tuned right to cause your feeding problems.

ego sum ergo ego eram

by glb3 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 09:26:47 AM PST

•  Nobody's ever (0+ / 0-)

volunteered to go downrange and catch one of my 9mm rounds.

Just sayin'

by Major Kong on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 11:41:39 AM PST

•  the problem is not .45 . . . (0+ / 0-)

Kimber?  Why on earth ? ? ?

Ruger P90 (at half the price) is rock solid reliable.

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 09:48:26 AM PST

•  ...and don't blame... (0+ / 0-)

...the 1911 platform (forgive them, John Browning, for they know not what they do).

ego sum ergo ego eram

by glb3 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 10:41:20 AM PST

•  Nobody shoots a stock 1911 (0+ / 0-)

they've all had a trigger job, barrel job, slide job, sights replaced etc.

I'd rather just buy something that shoots correctly out of the box and doesn't need a trip to a gunsmith before it actually shoots straight.

by Major Kong on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 11:44:13 AM PST

•  Ruger = Brick with trigger (0+ / 0-)

by Major Kong on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 11:40:58 AM PST

•  A reliable brick (0+ / 0-)

with a quite decent out-of-the-box trigger.  Works when you need it, does what it's supposed to.

Maybe not so good for gang-banging or as a carry-everywhere gun for wannabe Rambos.  Which I interpret as a good thing . . . I don't like gang-bangers or wannabe Rambos anyway . . .

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 12:27:43 PM PST

•  I'm just tweaking you (1+ / 0-)
              Deward Hastings

I like their revolvers. I have a GP-100.

I was just never that fond of their automatics.

The "bricks with triggers" line came from a friend of mine that owns one.

by Major Kong on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 01:21:18 PM PST

•  It's really hard to argue (0+ / 0-)

for .223 as a "home defense" round.  Sure it's "more effective" out at a couple hundred yards, but I'm not defending my "urban estate" against zombies at the tree line.

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 09:33:05 AM PST