View Diary: A sad day in #tcot-land (260 comments)

•  Inaugurations on MLK Day (22+ / 0-)

Embarassingly, in an interview yesterday, Andrew Young III repeated twice that he thought it was in honor of MLK that Obama had "chosen" to have his inauguration on this date.

"No one life is more important than another. No one voice is more valid than another. Each life is a treasure. Each voice deserves to be heard." Patriot Daily News Clearinghouse & Onomastic

by Catte Nappe on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 10:35:21 AM PST

•  Egad, really? (12+ / 0-)

I don't expect politicians to have the Constitution memorized exactly, but actually saying Obama "chose" MLK day is beyond basic logic.

It also tells you that you don't need to do any prep before putting your mug in front of a teevee camera.

•  when mlk is a floating holiday SH*T HOPPENS!!! (5+ / 0-)

semi-quoting fred willard ("wha hoppen?")

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is a United States federal holiday marking the birthday of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. It is observed on the third Monday of January each year, which is around the time of King's birthday, January 15. The floating holiday is similar to holidays set under the Uniform Monday Holiday Act, though the act predated the establishment of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day by 15 years.
      conspiracy theory alert!!!!

"A dollah makes me hollah"-- Stephen Colbert, pretending to be S. Palin

by stagemom on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 11:13:32 AM PST

•  Mr. Scribe was surprised (5+ / 0-)

they were holding it on MLK Jr. Day, but it's the first workday after the actual inauguration date, and since Federal offices are closed anyway there's no need for an extra holiday.

"If we ever needed to vote we sure do need to vote now" -- Rev. William Barber, NAACP

by Cali Scribe on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 11:19:56 AM PST

•  It is a holiday for government entities, but (2+ / 0-)
        milton333, TheDuckManCometh

not for others. But then, neither is "President's Day". (I'm old enough to remember when Lincoln's and Washington's birthdays were celebrated separately and on the correct date.)

In my last job, many of my African-American friends scheduled vacation days on MLK day- an act I appreciated and supported. And I'm proud to say my fellow white people did not make one disparaging comment about the Day or the day off.

I hate when I hear some jackass white person make a big deal about MLK Day being a "black holiday". As if being a member of the top class of every social grouping left you just the same as nonwhites. As if recognizing the individuality of your fellow countrymen was some sort of joke or condescension.

If you don't like it, spend that particular day in Arizona. Take a vacation and give us one at the same time.

I believe in democracy, civil liberties, and the rule of law. That makes me a liberal, and I’m proud of it. - Paul Krugman

by Gentle Giant on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 11:57:46 AM PST

•  Wasn't a holiday for him either (1+ / 0-)
          Gentle Giant

when he was working -- instead of making it an actual transit holiday, the transit district threw in an additional floating holiday (floating holidays replaced President's Day and Veteran's Day as well; only official holidays are New Year's, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas) on negotiation with the union. Buses run on regular weekday schedule with the exception of some rush hour service and supplemental school service.

by Cali Scribe on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 01:14:38 PM PST

•  Myrlie Evers embarrassed herself too (0+ / 0-)

by referring to the 45th president of the United States.

i do hate it when my people act ignorant while the whole world is watching

Politics is like driving. To go backward put it in R. To go forward put it in D.
      Drop by The Grieving Room on Monday nights for support in dealing with grief.

by TrueBlueMajority on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 11:25:43 AM PST

•  That was an unfortunate mistake... (3+ / 0-)

I would not characterize her as acting ignorant - the invocation as a whole was lovely.  She did a nice job.  She is a dignified woman who made a mistake.  I am one of "her people", I was on the mall watching and I do not feel she embarrassed herself.

•  She did go on just a little too long.... (1+ / 0-)
          TrueBlueMajority

......but she earned the right to ramble a bit. And just having her there was important.

It was that stupid "poet" that kinda fucked things up.

If you hate government, don't run for office in that government.

by Bensdad on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 12:42:37 PM PST

•  I understand that everybody has a point (3+ / 0-)

Of view - I really do.  But on a day like this, I revel in the beauty of it all - and I find something to like about everything - songs, poems, speeches, choirs, crowds, all of it.  I was out on the crowded, cold mall with my husband and children and we were just happy to be there.  It was OK that on a day like this, people spoke a while - believing that they had something to share with us.

•  true, it was just one moment (0+ / 0-)

out of an otherwise lovely invocation.

Drop by The Grieving Room on Monday nights for support in dealing with grief.

by TrueBlueMajority on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 06:19:30 PM PST