View Diary: 'Mainstreaming' progressive values: President Obama's path to a transformative presidency (142 comments)

•  Do you think there is a class war in this country? (2+ / 0-)
    PhilJD, chuckvw

Do you think Obama thinks there is?

Do you find a reflection of such a sentiment in this speech and, if so, how it is to be dealt with?

"To recognize error, to cut losses, to alter course, is the most repugnant option in government." Historian Barbara Tuchman

by Publius2008 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 11:45:01 AM PST

•  I'm happy to take your word, Armando, that YOU (0+ / 0-)

believe there's a class war in America.

But the other questions, about the President and this speech? I'm not seeing it. I skimmed through the text again, before posting this comment. I find this:

For we, the people, understand that our country cannot succeed when a shrinking few do very well and a growing many barely make it.  We believe that America’s prosperity must rest upon the broad shoulders of a rising middle class.
        I guess that's what you have in mind, but it's pretty weak tea as far as a class analysis of American society goes.

When you triangulate everything, you can't even roll downhill...

by PhilJD on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 02:47:08 PM PST

•  these statements from the speech deal with (16+ / 0-)

his view of class war:

our country cannot succeed when a shrinking few do very well and a growing many barely make it.  We believe that America’s prosperity must rest upon the broad shoulders of a rising middle class.  We know that America thrives when every person can find independence and pride in their work; when the wages of honest labor liberate families from the brink of hardship.
      For we remember the lessons of our past, when twilight years were spent in poverty, and parents of a child with a disability had nowhere to turn.  We do not believe that in this country, freedom is reserved for the lucky, or happiness for the few.  We recognize that no matter how responsibly we live our lives, any one of us, at any time, may face a job loss, or a sudden illness, or a home swept away in a terrible storm. The commitments we make to each other – through Medicare, and Medicaid, and Social Security – these things do not sap our initiative; they strengthen us.  They do not make us a nation of takers; they free us to take the risks that make this country great.

"Why reasonable people go stark raving mad when anything involving a Negro comes up, is something I don’t pretend to understand." ~ Atticus Finch, "To Kill a Mockingbird"

by SottoVoce on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 12:54:24 PM PST

•  Thanks for the excerpt--didn't get to hear him. (0+ / 0-)

Regarding this statement:  ". . . when the wages of honest labor liberate families from the brink of hardship."

Did the President go on to recommend a living wage?
        And this:  "The commitments we make to each other – through Medicare, and Medicaid, and Social Security – these things do not sap our initiative; they strengthen us.  They do not make us a nation of takers; they free us to take the risks that make this country great."
        Does this mean that the President won't agree to cut Social Security and Medicare in a way that affects the bottom line of the beneficiaries?  (as opposed to providers, insurance companies, etc.)
        If yes to these two quotes, "Hooray."  If not, what does it really tell us?

I like "pretty words," but at this point, I want specific and substantive policy solutions.

I know, some will say "but you can't put them in an inaugural speech."  Frankly, I don't buy that.

That is the place to begin, if you're serious about "mainstreaming progressive values."

No one hopes more than I, that the President will put this nation on a completely different course.  But until I hear specifics, I will be reluctant to believe that anything will change.  But, this is one time that I truly hope that I'm wrong.  :-)

Mollie

“If a dog won’t come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.” -- Woodrow Wilson

by musiccitymollie on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 03:39:23 PM PST

•  I disagree (0+ / 0-)

This isn't a time to introduce a bill or propose a bill.  It's a time to uplift and celebrate.  He did fine laying a few shots across the bow of the other side -- first and foremost by omitting any talk of meeting in the middle.

Even Democrats can be asses. Look at Rahm Emanuel.

by Helpless on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 04:05:38 PM PST

•  Well, I'm glad that you enjoyed his speech. As I (0+ / 0-)

mentioned, I didn't hear it or read it (except for the excerpts above.)  I must say, I didn't think that there was anything ridiculing about my words or tone.

Was simply reacting to the excerpts posted above, which were very generalized statements.

I never suggested that he 'get in the weeds' on a specific piece of legislation during his speech.

But a policy concept, such as raising the minimum wage, or better yet, fighting for a "living wage," could have at least been broached in an inaugural speech.

Hey, "to each, their own."

IMHO, 'shots across the bow' to Republicans, or whomever, aren't going to create jobs, get Americans who've lost their homes to foreclosure out of dire straits, etc.  So that type of rhetoric doesn't do a whole lot for me.

I look to put my time and energy into positive outlets for creating change, with an emphasis on policy as it pertains to the social safety net.  And to that end, I also enjoy blogging in order to share ideas.

I do appreciate and respect all viewpoints.  Including yours.

Mollie

by musiccitymollie on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 04:31:25 PM PST

•  Well I didn't expect much except for soaring (1+ / 0-)
              musiccitymollie

rhetoric.  So I got what I expected.  (I think like you) I'm tired of speeches and won't be happy until I see a more combative Obama willing to fight for our side instead of starting his fights in the middle of the road.

Even Democrats can be asses. Look at Rahm Emanuel.

by Helpless on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 05:43:17 PM PST

•  Either you're inspired by these words (0+ / 0-)

of principle, or else you're predisposed to be cynical about their usefulness or sincerity.  If the former, you didn't need policy proposals in an inaugural address.   If the latter, policy proposals in a speech wouldn't have satisfied you.

Since you missed it, why not watch now:
          and draw your conclusions from the whole speech and these excerpts in context.

by SottoVoce on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 05:23:27 PM PST

•  Well, respectfully, you've mischaracterized me. (0+ / 0-)

I'm a "policy person."  Period.  Full stop.

Don't know if you're old enough to remember the senior George Bush's blunder about "not being attracted to the vision thing."  (IOW, he was into the nuts and bolts, etc.)

I guess you could say that I share that sentiment with ol' George, LOL!

IMO, anything that doesn't lend itself to imparting specific information regarding a policy, is just a distraction.

Mollie

by musiccitymollie on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 06:10:26 PM PST

•  I'm in my sixties. I remember it all. (0+ / 0-)

GB,Sr. was a decent man but not an inspiring one.  There iis a place for policy and a place for setting forth a "vision thing".  The world is a cold place; we need a little  poetry in it once in a while.  At least I do.

I haven't characterized you.  You've made your position clear in your own words.I just think you should watch the speech before judging it.  But the choice is yours, of course.

by SottoVoce on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 07:08:12 PM PST

•  Fair enough. And yes, the world can be a 'cold (0+ / 0-)

place.'  And the fact that you find inspirational poetry or prose to be a refuge, is wonderful.

Me, I suppose, "not so much."

Aside from family and faith, I take solace (from the 'cold world') in the unconditional love of my pets.

So, as I said to another commenter, "to each, their own."

Namaste.