View Diary: 'Mainstreaming' progressive values: President Obama's path to a transformative presidency (142 comments)

•  this goes right back to the idea that Obama will (14+ / 0-)

pursue a more aggressively progressive agenda.

i hope that is the case.

just on framing alone, he can help shift the terms of the debate in Washington in a progressive direction, which when you look at public opinion, is the most popular and most desired direction.

we shall see.

A standing army is like a standing member. It's an excellent assurance of domestic tranquility, but a dangerous temptation to foreign adventure. Elbridge Gerry - Constitutional Convention (1787)

by No Exit on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 01:07:31 PM PST

•  As someone said, win the arguments, don't try to (10+ / 0-)

transcend them.  I think it was Ezra Klein.  That's the difference from the first term.  Then he thought he could be above the arguments and now he understands he has to win them.  And he is mobilizing help to be able to do that.  If he/we can win the progressive argument, the future will be more secure.

The GOP has no policies, solutions, even suggestions.  It is all just No,  no taxes, less government.  But no solutions.

The scientific uncertainty doesn't mean that climate change isn't actually happening.

by Mimikatz on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 02:46:48 PM PST

•  I am not holding my breath (1+ / 0-)
        badger

We've seen a full term of pulling away from progressive ideas.  Maybe a radical departure is underway but I can't see that there is much evidence of that.  I think that Obama will remain Obama

Hay hombres que luchan un dia, y son buenos Hay otros que luchan un año, y son mejores Hay quienes luchan muchos años, y son muy buenos. Pero hay los que luchan toda la vida. Esos son los imprescendibles.

by Mindful Nature on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 02:55:34 PM PST

•  Ezra's post was excellent (2+ / 0-)
        a gilas girl, cherish0708
      •  I did not get to hear the inauguration speech (0+ / 0-)

earlier today, so I'll ask for a little clarification from commenters, please.

What exactly was meant by "the progressive argument."  Did the President give specifics?

I ask because I am very concerned that implementing the Chained CPI is still on the table.

Did President Obama say that he will not cut Social Security and Medicare?  I am not concerned that he won't fight for immigration and gun legislation.  I think that is a given.

But did he in any way indicate that he will not cut the social insurance programs?  That is the progressive argument that needs to be made (and won).

Mollie

“If a dog won’t come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.” -- Woodrow Wilson

by musiccitymollie on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 03:20:19 PM PST

•  See the video link on the front page (0+ / 0-)

He hit on several progressive values, like economic inequality, climate change, and civil rights (Seneca Falls, Selma, and Stonewall).  Dude can alliterate.

No policy specifics, though.  Inaugural and all.

I'm not a Republican, but I'm saving up to be one. - Emo Phillips

by GenXWho on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 03:37:17 PM PST

•  Thanks, GenXWho, I will check it out. (0+ / 0-)

I usually start out by checking "my stream" instead of the Front Page, which is probably "bass akwards."  LOL!

Again, as I mentioned to another commenter, I am admittedly a "stickler" for policy details.  By the same token, I wouldn't expect to find 'an expansive number of them' in his speech today.

But, I would have been thrilled to have heard that the President actually mentioned a couple of policy concepts to alleviate, for instance, inequality.  That's all.

Mollie

by musiccitymollie on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 04:42:48 PM PST

•  GOP has no policies? (2+ / 0-)
        deepeco, Woody

It seems to me they are crowing about how they are about to win their war -- with Democrats and democracy.  I'm talking about project REDMAP that gave them an assured House majority for the rest of this decade and how by the simple change of apportioning electoral college votes rather than winner take all in these newly all red states, they plan to win the Presidency in 2016 no matter how much of a wingnut they put up.  So while day to day, it's no, no, no -- their overall strategy is to seize control of the government even though they represent only 1% of the country.

That, and their war on women the 47% the 99%.

Even Democrats can be asses. Look at Rahm Emanuel.

by Helpless on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 03:30:28 PM PST

•  Re your sig: (0+ / 0-)

What "scientific uncertainty"?

I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -- S.I. Hayakawa

by tapu dali on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 04:17:39 PM PST

•  Ignore Banksters, Rule of Law (0+ / 0-)

Two countries here with one for the rich above the law.  Forget the speeches.  We see an increasing separation across the land.  Empty promises and Potemkin deeds are the rule.  Lanny Breuer the man of the year.

•  Not confined to Washington (5+ / 0-)

Obama has already shifted the national conversation from unchallenged Reaganism to questioning Reaganism and now to figuring out exactly how to undo Reaganism -- that 'movement' which warped our economy, our politics, our policies, and got very close to permanently warping our ideals.

Go, Obama!